Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESI is the address I need. How to port it to code?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcidShout
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: ESI is the address I need. How to port it to code? Reply with quote

----------------------------------

Last edited by AcidShout on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your question. If you found that the address is xxxx2BFA, why do you need to modify registers?

Also, as a general rule, if you can't hack the game with CE you're unlikely to be able to write a hack for it in C++.
zm0d
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:
Also, as a general rule, if you can't hack the game with CE you're unlikely to be able to write a hack for it in C++

That's true.

Anyway... try to find a static base pointer to that address or use code injection and write the content of ESI to some allocated memory to build your own static pointer...
AcidShout
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcidShout wrote:
zm0d wrote:
try to find a static base pointer to that address or use code injection and write the content of ESI to some allocated memory to build your own static pointer...

Since I know the static address of the ASM instruction that contains ESI, I could hook a function and get ESI's value from C++.
Can I? Or it's impossible?

That's what she just suggested when she mentioned injection. The alternative is to use the pointer scanner to search for the string just like you would any other variable.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcidShout wrote:
I mean that I have an address that changes every time I open the game.
-Do the tutorial. Learn how to use the pointer scanner. Learn how to use code injection. You do not need C++.
zm0d
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:
That's what she just suggested when she mentioned injection.

I really lol'ed about this hard Very Happy Very Happy just because I've Hello Kitty as picture, I'm not a woman! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I just like this cute little kitty Very Happy *shame* AND I'M NOT GAY!!! Very Happy

AcidShout wrote:
Or it's impossible?

Impossible... this word is so strange in informatics..

AcidShout wrote:
I don't understand it, could you please explain it?

Of course I can Smile If you're not able to find such a static base pointer with the help of CE (this is very rarly), you can "build" your own pointer with code injection. To this point of reading you should have done the CE built-in tutorial (without cheating // haha I'm so freakin funny Very Happy).
With C/C++ you can use the function VirtualAlloc or if you are not inside the games process (injected DLL) VirtualAllocEx to reserve some beautiful memory in the game's virtual address space. When you did that, you will get back a pointer from your newly allocated memory, that your going to use for your interest (called a CodeCave). Then you use WriteProcessMemory(...) to overwrite your mov al, [esi] with a JMP yourCodeCaveAddr. There you are able to save back your ESI address to another address (somehow like this MOV [CodeCaveAddr+20], esi). Now you have to restore your overwritten asm code after the mov command and jmp back to your source, where you came from.

So you built your own base pointer, because your interesting address is always at CodeCaveAddr+20 Smile Note that you mostly have to fix this, if the game was updated.
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

zm0d wrote:
justa_dude wrote:
That's what she just suggested when she mentioned injection.

I really lol'ed about this hard :D :D just because I've Hello Kitty as picture, I'm not a woman! :D :D :D :D I just like this cute little kitty :D *shame* AND I'M NOT GAY!!! :D

Please accept my apologies and thank you for having good humor about it.
zm0d
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:

Please accept my apologies and thank you for having good humor about it.

Wow, you're really polite Smile and this in the WWW Shocked
really seldom Razz

You can't insult me this way Very Happy Very Happy just was funny and let me started the evening with a huge smile Very Happy

Sorry for offtopic, just had to say this Smile
SteveAndrew
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello AcidShout! Well you didn't provide enough info to give an example script for your particular game (didn't include the address to hook + at least 5 bytes worth of code)

However that's okay I'll show you a couple examples from another game so you get the idea...

First I want you to make sure that your address that you're going to use as a place to easily 'grab' this pointer from is actually a good place to get it from. Make sure no other addresses are being accessed by that code! ('mov al,[esi]' which is copying a byte from the address pointed to by ESI into al as you're probably aware)

Right click on that instruction and choose 'Find what addresses this instruction accesses' Go in game and do whatever is related to your address to get the code to execute, now go back and look at the window that popped up! If only 1 address is listed continue, if there is more than one (usually very many if its the case) you'll have to figure out how to filter down to your address of interest or find somewhere else to hook! (which only your 1 address passes through)

If all is good then examine how you want to hook the address which your 'mov al,[esi]' instruction that you've found to effect your value is located at!

The 'mov al,[esi]' instruction is only 2 bytes in size, so we're going to need a little more than that for our 5 byte 'jmp' hook.

So here's an example I searched for that instruction in my game (knowing that its common) to come up with a similar example!

Your code in your game around this instruction will be different, but you can hook it in the same way as the following two examples... Looking at the image how would you hook it / which address would you hook?

In the first example, I decided it's nicer to hook the previous address rather then the one and the next. Since our 5 byte jmp hook will fit in nicely and not only that, doing it this way also makes it a little easier to update if the game updates, since you have less variables (things that will change) in your code (you'll see what I mean with the second example)
Code:

[enable]
alloc(GetAcidShoutString,1024)
label(AcidShoutStringPointer)
label(ReturnHere)
registersymbol(AcidShoutStringPointer)

GetAcidShoutString:
mov esi,[ebp+8] //original/overwritten code
mov al,[esi]    //original/overwritten code
mov [AcidShoutStringPtr],esi
jmp ReturnHere

AC4BFSP.exe+78c4:
jmp GetAcidShoutString //E9 XX XX XX XX //5 bytes
ReturnHere:

[disable]

AC4BFSP.exe+78c4:
mov esi,[ebp+8]
mov al,[esi]
//db 8b 75 08 8a 06 //5 bytes

dealloc(GetAcidShoutString)
unregistersymbol(AcidShoutStringPointer)

And version two which I just for demonstrating how hooking works typically, which just hooks the address of instruction 'mov al,[esi]' rather than the previous, it contains said variables namely '[AC4BFSP.exe+24603d0]' in any case though since 7 bytes were overwritten rather than a perfect 5, we needed 2 nops to 'cover' what we overwrote with safe bytes.
Code:

[enable]
alloc(GetAcidShoutStringV2,1024)
label(AcidShoutStringPointer)
label(ReturnHere)
registersymbol(AcidShoutStringPointer)

GetAcidShoutStringV2:
mov al,[esi]    //original/overwritten code
mov byte [AC4BFSP.exe+24603d0],al //original/overwritten code
mov [AcidShoutStringPtr],esi
jmp ReturnHere

AC4BFSP.exe+78c7:
jmp GetAcidShoutStringV2 //E9 XX XX XX XX //5 bytes
db 90 90 //nopping next two bytes == 7 bytes now
ReturnHere:

[disable]

AC4BFSP.exe+78c7:
mov al,[esi]
mov byte [AC4BFSP.exe+24603d0],al
//db 8a 06 a2 d0 03 86 02 //7 bytes

dealloc(GetAcidShoutStringV2)
unregistersymbol(AcidShoutStringPointer)

And now if that doesn't work as justa_dude mentioned, then converting it to C++ style isn't going to help at all! However if it does work then this would be equivalent to the first example in but in C++ code...

Code:

#include <Windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int MainThread();

HINSTANCE hInst;

BOOL WINAPI DllMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, DWORD Reason, LPVOID lpReserved)
{
   if(Reason == DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH)
   {
      hInst = hInstance;
      CreateThread(0, 0, (LPTHREAD_START_ROUTINE)MainThread, 0, 0, 0);
   }
   else if(Reason == DLL_PROCESS_DETACH)
   {
   }

return TRUE;
}

DWORD AcidShoutStringHookAddressRVA = 0x78c4;
DWORD AcidShoutStringHookAddress;
DWORD AcidShoutStringHookReturn;
char *pAcidShoutString = 0; //initialize this one!
void _declspec(naked) GetAcidShoutString()
{
   __asm
   {
      mov esi,[ebp+0x8]
      mov al,[esi]
      mov [pAcidShoutString],esi
      jmp [AcidShoutStringHookReturn]
   }
}

int MainThread()
{
   AcidShoutStringHookAddress = (DWORD)GetModuleHandle(0) + AcidShoutStringHookAddressRVA;
   AcidShoutStringHookReturn = AcidShoutStringHookAddress + 5;

DWORD OldProtection;
   VirtualProtect((void*)AcidShoutStringHookAddress, 5, PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE, &OldProtection);

*(BYTE*)AcidShoutStringHookAddress = 0xE9; //JMP XX XX XX XX
   *(DWORD*)(AcidShoutStringHookAddress + 1) = (((DWORD)GetAcidShoutString - AcidShoutStringHookAddress) - 5);

VirtualProtect((void*)AcidShoutStringHookAddress, 5, OldProtection, &OldProtection);

while (pAcidShoutString == 0) Sleep(10);

VirtualProtect((void*)pAcidShoutString, 10, PAGE_EXECUTE_READWRITE, &OldProtection);

char *WriteThisString = "NoName";
   memcpy(pAcidShoutString, WriteThisString, (strlen(WriteThisString) + 1)); //+1 for copying null terminator too

VirtualProtect((void*)pAcidShoutString, 10, OldProtection, &OldProtection);

return 0;
}

Now I haven't actually tested this out, just wrote it up, but if I remember correctly that's enough to make it work! Don't forget the VirtualProtects to allow you to write to the memory! (else it'll crash) They might not be needed always but usually they are, so best to just stick with them! Smile

In this quick example upon injecting the memory must be ready to be hooked. Once hooked it will wait until it receives the pointer of interest (which seems to be a in-game-name pointer or such) and then writes 'NoName' to it! (as non-unicode, if it happens to be unicode then you'll have to change the code a little)

That should help! Very Happy

How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcidShout wrote:
++METHOS wrote:
AcidShout wrote:
I mean that I have an address that changes every time I open the game.
-Do the tutorial. Learn how to use the pointer scanner. Learn how to use code injection. You do not need C++.

Well, I do need C++ because I want to make a .dll so I don't need to be scanning every time I want to modify that
-You do not need C++ to do that. You can create an auto-assembly script that will apply the changes every time.
atom0s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcidShout wrote:
Why do you substract the original instruction address?

Isn't my hook function address enough?

Jumps/calls are calculated. They are not direct address constants. You have to calculate the distance between the call location and the function you are calling to create the offset.

AcidShout wrote:
Also, why sleep(10) in a while?

Without it, your loop will consume 100% CPU.

AcidShout wrote:
Also, why memcpy, and not *(type*) something = another?

You can use either in an injected DLL.

SteveAndrew
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcidShout wrote:

Code:
(DWORD)GetAcidShoutString - AcidShoutStringHookAddress

Why do you substract the original instruction address?
Isn't my hook function address enough?
Also, why sleep(10) in a while?
Also, why memcpy, and not *(type*) something = another?

Wiccaan explained those well, but I'll add that if you want you can use this macro (probably well known Very Happy):
'#define jmp(frm, to) (int)(((int)to - (int)frm) - 5)' defined at the top or in your header file (if you use one).

Then you could change this line:
Code:

*(DWORD*)(AcidShoutStringHookAddress + 1) = (((DWORD)GetAcidShoutString - AcidShoutStringHookAddress) - 5);

Into:
Code:

*(DWORD*)(AcidShoutStringHookAddress + 1) = jmp(AcidShoutStringHookAddress, GetAcidShoutString);

To visualize it a bit easier perhaps... We're jumping from the hook address to our hook code, the offset between them is the distance to jump.

I did memcpy here:
Code:

char *WriteThisString = "NoName";
   memcpy(pAcidShoutString, WriteThisString, (strlen(WriteThisString) + 1));

Because from memory I didn't think you could just write to a string directly (it's raw character array [not an std::string]) I could be wrong though, I haven't tried it in a while. (maybe it's only if it was a const char * then it can't be modified like that)

Any other kind of data though I would directly write to usually!

P.S. If you really want, you can actually give a definite address to jump to rather then a relative offset. By using the 'push+ret' method Wink

NOTE: This will take up 6 bytes for your jump to your hook code rather than five with a regular long jump! So keep that in mind, it can be more inconvenient to use then a regular jump most of the time!

Code:

*(BYTE*)AcidShoutStringHookAddress = 0x68; //PUSH XX XX XX XX
*(DWORD*)(AcidShoutStringHookAddress + 1) = (DWORD)GetAcidShoutString; // hehe
*(BYTE*)(AcidShoutStringHookAddress + 5) = 0xC3 //RET

How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wiccaan and SteveAndrew.

I made my DLL, but I have a problem: it crashes my game.
This is the code:
[img]//puu.sh/5uc0x.png[/img]
ptrName contains right address.
I know it, because I used MessageBoxA() to show the address, and it's the correct.
I need to patch 15 bytes next to that address to AF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: