Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raid5 XP Help/Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamiPL
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Raid5 XP Help/Question Reply with quote

I brought a raid box and set it to Raid5, but the thing is i want to use it both on XP and W7. Any way i can do that? since GPT is only supported on W7. My XP is not even showing the unallocated space in comp management (most likely cuz of advanced sector drive thing). Is it possible get the full storage in XP as one partition or to set it to MBR with multiple partitions of 2048GB while still retaining raid5? Thought i could get away with using 2TB drives and let the raid card do the rest lolz
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP 32bit only supports MBR, but 64bit does support GPT and it's only for data not as a boot drive. To use it with XP, you must disable RAID 5, but if you want to keep raid 5, then you will have to get smallter size HDD so that when it's combined, it does not pass 2TB.
The other option is to disable RAID 5 and set to RAID 0, lets you use the entire drive as a whole and also let you use it as MBR, but there is no data protection, as if 1 drive fails, all data are lost.
For 2TB and higher, you will need to use a tool for from your board to unlock it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kls85 wrote:
Windows XP 32bit only supports MBR, but 64bit does support GPT and it's only for data not as a boot drive. To use it with XP, you must disable RAID 5, but if you want to keep raid 5, then you will have to get smallter size HDD so that when it's combined, it does not pass 2TB.
The other option is to disable RAID 5 and set to RAID 0, lets you use the entire drive as a whole and also let you use it as MBR, but there is no data protection, as if 1 drive fails, all data are lost.
For 2TB and higher, you will need to use a tool for from your board to unlock it.

It is storage only since have ssds for boot, so even with XP 64bit it wont let me GPT as full partition it unless i disable the raid5? Less than 2TB hdds would be kinda pointless since have too much data and need a bit of protection and raid0 is too risky. And about that tool from mobo, you mean something like 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.0? Need to look into it.

Edit: seems like that app was for "breaking the limitation of 32-bit operation system that could only detect the hard disk within 2048GB" which was exactly what i needed but nothing changed after i installed it lol

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

XP 64bit, lets you use GPT drives, so if you have XP 64bit, then you can use that NAS box along with RAID 5. It's only supports data drive not boot drive, but you're using as storage so booting from it doesn't matter.

The unlocker utility isn't for 32bit to break the limitation, it's also used for 64bit, if the motherboard your using uses the legacy bios and not those of UEFI. If you have a board with legacy bios and are running a 64bit OS, then you will need to use the unlocker utility to use a HDD larger than 2TB. The problem with the unlocker is, not all boards are supported by the manufacture, only selected boards will work with the unlocker (you have to check if your board is supported or not by visiting your motherboard's website). Motherboards with UEFI don't need unlocker as the HDD larger than 2TB are natively detected by the UEFI bios.

For the unlocker, it's not automatic, have you try unlocking it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Will need to get 64bit XP somehow =P
Ah yeah my mobo is supported and has UEFI too its Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 on this page list and i got it off their website next to drivers.
Hmm how do i unlock it, it does not seem like it was an app but more like a driver so cant run it. I need some specific software to format it after installing the app right? I don't want to format it every time i reinstall XP hehe XP-64 seems like the best choice since i worry that it might corrupt the array if i start using extra apps to detect it =P

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP 64bit isn't a user friendly OS, lots of hardware are not supported.
For the unlocker, try this method

1. Go into Windows 7 and backup what you have on your NAS drive.
2. Open command prompt (Run as administrator) and type in diskpart
3. In diskpart, type list disk, then enter
4. Then type select disk (x) , and enter
Where X= the drive you want to select
5. After you select the drive, type clean, then press enter
This will clean out your selected HDD and then reset it back to a non initialized state.
6. Go to disk management and you should now see the wizard saying new HDD is not initialized, blah, blah, blah. It will tell you whether you want MBR or GPT.
7. Select MBR, partition and format like you normally do. When you do this, you should see the drive only used a small portion of the entire drive.
8. Install the unlocker utility, after that restart, and see if the program lets you use the entire drive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XP64 would be mostly for media, i would install it as a 3way boot and they have the drivers for XP64 for my hardware too it seems.

Ah i followed the steps but it still only let me use the 2048GB partition in W7, and the strange thing is that XP does not even detect that MBR partition at all like before nor unallocated space when first plugged in lol.

This screene was in the raidbox manual so i figured it should at least detect it partially as MBR 2048GB but not even that. o_o

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If XP don't even see it with MBR, then they may be something with your NAS. Go to your NAS website and check for any firmware upgrades or its own software to let you use it in XP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its cuz of the Advanced Format HDD thing, said something about XP but too lazy to register to WD to get the align software thing, gonna try it last if everything else fails =P
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP doesn't support the 4KB sector format where AF (Advance Format) drives are currently at. Windows Vista and 7 supports the 4KB format. The AF drive has nothing to do with whether your XP can use the full drive or not. AF drives still lets XP to use its full capacity, but without running the AF utility, then overall performance of the drive is really slow.
WD has the alignment utility. You have to register one of the drives before you can download the Alignment software.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i meant maybe its cuz of AF that its not detected at all and not the use of full cap of it but i get the picture. Idk why it did not even detect the MBR partition then. Hehe i tried to DL it but yeah, too lazy to register.

I installed XP-64bit and it seems to work nicely so far, that GPT partition from W7 gets detected normally as well but i messed up my boot loader a bit lol
Thanks for the help, got it working now =D

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you require the legacy XP system in the first place?

DamiPL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifallofjmr wrote:
Why do you require the legacy XP system in the first place?

Its cuz XP is just pure awesomeness! lol also cuz my TV is being an ass and displays weird artifacts on W7 via HDMI lol i think i made a post about that long time ago, don't rly want to buy a new tv just for W7.

I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still havn't solve that problem yet?
Just thought of something, in Windows 7 set your theme to basic and see if your TV will have artifacts?

Another, end dwm.exe in task manager and see if your TV have artifacts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: