Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Solved!] Force laptop to use external screen during boot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radiation
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: [Solved!] Force laptop to use external screen during boot This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Hi, my mom's friend has a laptop with a cracked screen. She has been using the laptop with an external display all this time. She caught a virus and needs to reinstall Windows 7. Problem is: The external monitor only becomes active on the user logon page. I need to get into the bios to see if there is an option that will automatically force the use of an external screen, but I can't get into BIOS because it is displayed on the cracked laptop screen. I have tried things like fn+f4, putting it to sleep, etc., but no success... looked all over google for solutions, couldn't crack this one. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Compaq CQ60-615DX
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Playing/Embedding XM and MOD files in Visual Basic 6

.erutangis ruoy ni siht esu neht ,sdrawkcab siht daer ot hguone trams erew uoy fI
I can spell your name backwards: ‮Hitler

Last edited by Radiation on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a damn thing you can do. Usually there is a bios option for this on laptops, but you cannot see the bios right? She's fucked, and not in the way I'd like her to be.
SF
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a second pc and just perform the same key inputs? it's pretty much all just enter or arrow keys to move to an 'accept' type thing.
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hero wrote:
Not a damn thing you can do. Usually there is a bios option for this on laptops, but you cannot see the bios right? She's fucked, and not in the way I'd like her to be.

Yeah, can't see anything... only some quirks and flashes... the laptop is old anyways... lol. maybe i should just leave it at that... because it DOES go into windows 7 and works and stuff - except some drivers are screwed up and all that nasty stuff...

SF wrote:
Use a second pc and just perform the same key inputs? it's pretty much all just enter or arrow keys to move to an 'accept' type thing.

that would be worth a shot if one of my pc's had the same BIOS version as the laptop's... if microsoft was smart enough, they would make windows 7 boot disks force output to an external screen... they should hire me, seriously.

.erutangis ruoy ni siht esu neht ,sdrawkcab siht daer ot hguone trams erew uoy fI
SF
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itapa wrote:
Hero wrote:

Yeah, can't see anything... only some quirks and flashes... the laptop is old anyways... lol. maybe i should just leave it at that... because it DOES go into windows 7 and works and stuff - except some drivers are screwed up and all that nasty stuff...

SF wrote:

that would be worth a shot if one of my pc's had the same BIOS version as the laptop's... if microsoft was smart enough, they would make windows 7 boot disks force output to an external screen... they should hire me, seriously.

You can install windows using my method. After installed, you can use the keyboard to switch video output.

On the two laptops I have here: Fn+F5 switches to to the external monitor if I have one connected.

I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've notice laptops right now have lost the feature to run external display upon boot ever since Vista came to the scene. It's the same with laptops that comes with Win7.
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely recommend you try it. Mine switches to external automatically once it begins booting, but I can force it into external screen at the BIOS as well with the FN+F5 keys. (note my F5 key has two little monitor things on it.)

Camera on phone only so I couldn't show both at once, but note the 'mobile' cpu and power lights/vga cord on the laptop as proof that it's the Laptops BIOS being shown, not my desktops.

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on when you bought it as some will send the signal to extenal monitor during POST.
From the pic, that looks like a Toshiba.

Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input guys. it's really helpful. but the laptop is stubborn... wouldn't output anything to the external monitor. i will try installing windows blindly, like SF suggested. Hopefully, I won't end up with a brick haha

Radiation
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Wow! So I managed to solve the problem. To all Googlers out there, here is my solution:

I got two exact same installation DVDs. I installed one on another desktop, and one on the laptop, at the same time. This stubborn laptop only outputted the screen on the external screen when the installation said "Completing Installation" or something similar to that. I had to install Windows blindly, but I used some clever techniques.

1. Hard Drive activity - you can tell and compare with the desktop whenever the setup is copying files or any other Hard Drive activity that might be going on. The same activity and sequence of events happens on the desktop. (Duh because you are using the same DVDs, although I can think of ways where the setup process would vary)

2. DVD-ROM activity - this is similar to the one on top, except you know when files are being copied/read off the medium. Also useful in the installation sequence.

3. Partially broken laptop screen - my screen was not fully black. It mostly projected black, yes, but I was able to see white cracks and some tiny portions of the screen which actually showed color(s). Using these colors, it was easy for me to find out where exactly in the setup I was.

Thank you guys, big time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: