Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to fix alignment on my SSD on XP n switch to AHCI mode?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamiPL
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: How to fix alignment on my SSD on XP n switch to AHCI mode? Reply with quote

as the title says, can anyone help me with this? My ssd is giving me shitty speeds so i wanted to fix this. I heard Win 7 creates aligned partitions at an offset of 1024KiB by default but XP does not and my alignment is bad. I don't have a W7 pc to hook it up to and repartition it. And how to switch to AHCI mode?change it in bios and reinstall the windows? does XP fully support it?
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Windows XP isn't 4K aware so you will need 3rd party utility do it for you, but SSD aren't 4K so it doesn't matter if it's running at the 512 byte level.
One thing is XP doesn't support TRIM thus as time passes by SSD performance will slow down. For ACHI, XP is supported, but you will have to enable ACHI in the bios and reinstall XP.
XP will not recognize your ACHI drives, so you will need to create a driver diskette for your board's ACHI controller. And XP most of the time will look for floppy disk. No floppy disk? Then you will have to recreate a XP disc with the ACHI drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i would just get XP and W7 for dual boot then TRIM would be w/ w7. Is it same for W7, enable in bios and install w7? It has the drivers with it right? And XP does not recognize the drives in ahci so that means the dvd drive aswell rite? i cant install w/o teh drive lolz.
So where should i begin if i wanted dual boot with ahci mode? i still need to make a new XP disc right? floppy discs are ancient. Do you have a tutorial or something for this? Looked it up on google, is it something like this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

why dont you quit hanging on to your precious fucking xp and move on dude, they dropped main stream support for it. It seriously is ancient. You have an SSD and I am guessing modern other parts. Why do you even need Windows XP?

Edit: In my fit of rage I put "even need Windows 7" not Windows xp.

Last edited by Saifallofjmr on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DamiPL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifallofjmr wrote:
why dont you quit hanging on to your precious fucking xp and move on dude, they dropped main stream support for it. It seriously is ancient. You have an SSD and I am guessing modern other parts. Why do you even need Windows 7?

well i guess your are right, i will get W7 if i cant figure this out, it would not hurt to get both tho.

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use that tutorial to help you out as that's a lot easier.
The official method described by MS is a lot more difficult and may need some practice on it to get it right.

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Dami, just move on to W7 so much more worth it than XP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel. wrote:
Dami, just move on to W7 so much more worth it than XP

yeah, gonna get w7 and see. Currently backing up all meh HDDs, lolz takes so long. I don't think i will even finish it today. =O

Edit: finally done, realigned it and got AHCI~ here are the results:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gahh, as i thought i need XP, i thought i could hold out on W7 alone but no so i will be trying that XP CD mod and trying a dual boot. So in case i mess shit up, whats the worse case scenario? XD Also i found XP on some forum that said SP3 Integrated July 2011 SATA, is it sata ahci and is it true?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dami just move to Windows 7, you are part of the IT staff's nightmare that doesn't like to upgrade. Windows 7 is a fine piece of code, quit hanging on to XP.

DamiPL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifallofjmr wrote:
Dami just move to Windows 7, you are part of the IT staff's nightmare that doesn't like to upgrade. Windows 7 is a fine piece of code, quit hanging on to XP.

i have W7 right now and in fact i like it alot...i would use it alone but i have trouble with connecting it to TV on W7. HDMI gives me shitty colors and VGA is capped at 1360x768 in windows 7 and i cant change it no matter what....in XP i could 1080p via VGA w/ custom resolution. I looked for a solution for the past few days, msged evga and tried to fix the HDMI and nothing...my face is like rageface.jpg and i don't see a fix for it except for a dual boot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a skype or something that is an IM so I can help you fix this problem?

DamiPL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifallofjmr wrote:
Do you have a skype or something that is an IM so I can help you fix this problem?

i have msn now, skype acc too but not yet installed here, will install it nao. There was one thing i did not try yet which is overriding the edid data but not too sure about this.
Ps: i gave up on hdmi, made a post on it while i still had XP and it was similar to now so if i can fix the VGA thing like in XP then it would be great.

edit: skype name = xdamipl

edit2: well i was bored, created 2 custom discs with xp-ahci, hope one of em works lolz.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got it worked out today, installed XP with ahci on top of W7. Should have done a clean install for both but w/e. The modded XP CD worked nicely, i cant believe how simple making the CD was compared to changing a freaking resolution on the TV in W7...the image does look awesome on XP so i will just use XP for TV/Video and W7 for rest. Thanks everyone for the help, especially kls85, got everything i wanted worked out thanks to your posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: