Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamiPL
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: SSD Help Reply with quote

well so im planing to buy this SSD like today and need some quick help with the connection. SATA II has the same connection as SATA from the PSU and just the xfer rate is diff right? and is the red cable the same? i have 2 normal HDDs right now and dont have any extra left. So is this the right one for the SSD to connect to the mobo?

Edit: Err nvm already ordered em, but anyways if i fucked something up then feel free to tell me lolz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Any SATA cable will work, correct.

FangBanger wrote:
What is the best way for a lv19 Soldier to solo Sledge on Borderlands?
Shoot him.
kls85
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Most enthusiast are willing to buy a SSD for it's incredible read and write, but what's holding most people off is the price and capacity. Sure it has gone down a lot, but the price range at this point is still unreachable for many.
What you have in mind is like everyone else, spend the least amount and get the best one that has to offer, unfortunately you can't as the industry isn't there yet so with the budget you got, you can only get the one that's decent in size and that's 60-64GB. A 64GB SSD isn't a whole lot, but to the SSD owners, they'll find a way to justify it thus making them feel happy and satisfied with their purchase.
People buys SSD for the sake of performance not just only for the sake of booting into the OS faster but for everything they're planning to do, so that 60GB SSD is way too small and if you don't have the money to buy a bigger size, do so when you have enough. If you got $300 you can go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227578
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233154

For SATA cables, it's all similar, but if you got SATA III drive, use them cables that's rated for SATA III as there is a performance difference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elpacco wrote:
Any SATA cable will work, correct.

aight, thanks

kls85 wrote:
Most enthusiast are willing to buy a SSD for it's incredible read and write, but what's holding most people off is the price and capacity. Sure it has gone down a lot, but the price range at this point is still unreachable for many.
What you have in mind is like everyone else, spend the least amount and get the best one that has to offer, unfortunately you can't as the industry isn't there yet so with the budget you got, you can only get the one that's decent in size and that's 60-64GB. A 64GB SSD isn't a whole lot, but to the SSD owners, they'll find a way to justify it thus making them feel happy and satisfied with their purchase.
People buys SSD for the sake of performance not just only for the sake of booting into the OS faster but for everything they're planning to do, so that 60GB SSD is way too small and if you don't have the money to buy a bigger size, do so when you have enough. If you got $300 you can go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227578
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233154

For SATA cables, it's all similar, but if you got SATA III drive, use them cables that's rated for SATA III as there is a performance difference.

o the first one is godly, 540MB/s read and 490MB/s write haha. Well you are exactly right, i was going for a low amount, i could get one of those above but currently i could also use a new Gfx card and stuff so i held back. This one has both read and write speeds in the 270's so its not so bad. True that 60gb is low but should be enough for me, i would have around 45gb left for software so PS,3dsmax and the apps that need it the most should fit in nicely. As for games, i could just swap the ones i currently play from the normal drives back and forth. i have 4.5tb in normal drives so i only need the ssd for the essentials.

I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your PS and 3dsmax files where are they going to be?
You fire up your program and it loads fast on a SSD, but then have work on your projects through a slow churning HDD due to not having enough space. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of your SSD?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kls85 wrote:
For your PS and 3dsmax files where are they going to be?
You fire up your program and it loads fast on a SSD, but then have work on your projects through a slow churning HDD due to not having enough space. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of your SSD?

o all the files for those apps should fit on the ssd, project files don't take up such a large amount that would not fit(at least not yet =p). And i can just swap the files like with the games that i currently use, copying should not take a long time with that write speed. My old HDD with the windows is dying on me anyways so meh, i wont regret it as long this one works as it should. Should get it this week.

Cheater

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you can you should buy the ssd you wanted now
since have 400+ writes/reads would be a bit extreme for the average user
DamiPL

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dankcannabis wrote:

ah yeah, i already brought the OCZ one, it came last friday and is already installed. It would not hurt to get 400+ speeds but this one is enough for me as you said.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it. I love mine.

FangBanger wrote:
What is the best way for a lv19 Soldier to solo Sledge on Borderlands?
Shoot him.
Dankcannabis
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamiPL wrote:
Dankcannabis wrote:

ah yeah, i already brought the OCZ one, it came last friday and is already installed. It would not hurt to get 400+ speeds but this one is enough for me as you said.

Would going from 275 to 400 make a big difference? Because as of right now
loading tasks are really fast as it is
DamiPL

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dankcannabis wrote:
DamiPL wrote:
Dankcannabis wrote:

Would going from 275 to 400 make a big difference? Because as of right now
loading tasks are really fast as it is

125mbs extra is a fair amount of difference in speeds so i think it would be noticeable, not sure if it would be a "big" difference tho.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1TB (1,000GB or 1,000,000MB) would take ~3,626 seconds (60 mins) to copy at 275mbps
At 400mbps it would take ~2,500 seconds (41 mins).

So I guess if you are copying hundreds of gigabytes it's worth it. But for the average user it probably won't change that much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: