Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED]Portal 2 Crashing. Need help/fix.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gypsy++
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound is built into the motherboard. where can i view the event log? dep is set to windows programs and services only so that can't be the problem
kls85
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despair. wrote:
I don't know, laptop 1.20ghz seems really slow compared to 2.4, I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work i want my fuckign money back lollolol

.::EDIT::.

No, I'm afraid it's too risky too even login to my steam account on my laptop. Because my family members use it...I don't feel very safe using my laptop to play a game on.

You buy a car and let your family members drive it, now your afraid to drive your own car?
You buy a house and let your family members live in it, now your afraid to live in your own house?

That excuse is the most stupidest thing I've ever heard, it's your laptop, just install steam run the game to see if it works or not. For the sake of playing on your laptop, you're not doing so, you're just diagnosing to see what is wrong with your desktop and using your laptop as a reference. You can create temp account on the laptop and temporary install Steam, when your done uninstall steam and delete that account.
Btw, maybe you can change your avatar since your paranoia is in the stratosphere. Neutral

Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

You need to add the program to DEP. It looks like it is creating a general error and closing without saying why. This could be due to it trying to write/read/excute an instruction it shouldn't not to say it will destroy the world if it does, but by adding it to DEP it will ignore this error that causes it to crash and the game will continue to run. If it works. I had to add DCS Black Shark to DEP in order to play it.

From another forum.
Quote:

04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
My solution:

I think this is Vista/7-specific, since the game runs on my desktop at home (XP, which I'm so glad for right now) but not on my Vista laptop.

My guess from the following is that DEP modifies a file somehow which then stops the game from working unless it's re-acquired. Here's what I did to make it work:

Firstly, go to portal2.exe in steamapps/common/portal 2, go into properties and set the compatibility mode to XP. THEN validate your Portal 2 files and one file should be re-downloaded. After this, since your Portal 2 file is in XP compatibility mode, it should run (it did for me), but won't run even in XP mode until you've re-validated.

If this works for anyone else let me know.

Here's the thread, a few people reported this worked for them.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1848151.html

It's not the same as the others I've seen, add to compat, run as admin, or mine add to DEP. The difference is the re-validating the game.

Gypsy++
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhMunRa wrote:
You need to add the program to DEP. It looks like it is creating a general error and closing without saying why. This could be due to it trying to write/read/excute an instruction it shouldn't not to say it will destroy the world if it does, but by adding it to DEP it will ignore this error that causes it to crash and the game will continue to run. If it works. I had to add DCS Black Shark to DEP in order to play it.

From another forum.
Quote:

04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
My solution:

I think this is Vista/7-specific, since the game runs on my desktop at home (XP, which I'm so glad for right now) but not on my Vista laptop.

My guess from the following is that DEP modifies a file somehow which then stops the game from working unless it's re-acquired. Here's what I did to make it work:

Firstly, go to portal2.exe in steamapps/common/portal 2, go into properties and set the compatibility mode to XP. THEN validate your Portal 2 files and one file should be re-downloaded. After this, since your Portal 2 file is in XP compatibility mode, it should run (it did for me), but won't run even in XP mode until you've re-validated.

If this works for anyone else let me know.

Here's the thread, a few people reported this worked for them.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1848151.html

It's not the same as the others I've seen, add to compat, run as admin, or mine add to DEP. The difference is the re-validating the game.

It worked.. i fucking love you.
TheMonkMan
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Portal 2 fix Reply with quote

For all those that are struggling with the crash after the valve screen problem, this fixed it for me. Just unzip and copy all files into their directories in the portal 2 folder and Bam Laughing

http ://adf.ly/2Jbon

Regards,
Monk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: