Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motherboard Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Motherboard Question Reply with quote

First post in this section and that may tell you im a newb when it comes to hardware Very Happy.

So i am planning to buy this new rig for gaming and so far, i easily chose these items(reading specs etc.) without, i hope, any compatibility issues in between them.

Intel Core i7 960 Processor
EVGA Geforce GTX570
Corsair Dominator GT Triple Channel DDR3 Memory 3x2048MB - 6GB
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000, 1TB, SATA 3G
Some random sound card because i have zero knowledge about sound cards.

As you can see, it is going to be a beast! Very Happy But the main thing i am not so sure of is motherboard. Which motherboard should i choose that supports SLI GPU and basically be "future-proof" like say 3-4 years down the road, new parts come out and i'd still be able to implement them into the mobo. This mobo is the most important part of system cause everything fits into mobo and if your mobo doesn't have a slot, your fucked.

In my old system, i could easily had a 2Ghz processor, but i was stuck with a crappy 1.5ghz because the mobo didn't support anything higher than 1.5ghz. Way slow performance.

So which one you guys think would be the best for the parts i chose above ?. I looked up intels but they're way expensive and i couldn't find any interesting ones there, however, this one by ASUS seems to have a lot of recommendations and fit nicely to my needs.

ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s(5.2 lbs)

A bad mobo decision and my beastly machine would turn into chicken lol so HELP! Very Happy

AhMunRa
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't use an i7 still in 3 - 4 years what's the point? I'm still using a Duo Core E3800 without issues. Granted my game load times are a bit sluggish, but I can't see dropping $500 so my games will load 30 seconds faster.

Look for something that will be stable. If you want to overclock, look for something that will be user friendly when doing so.

Last edited by AhMunRa on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZacTheSin
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

That motherboard will work, as long as it has the amount of slots you want.
This supports triple SLI/CrossFireX:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3251#sp

kls85
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't got it yet and it's already outdated, what a shame...
Seriously if you want the best that is out there now, go with Sandy Bridge they far superior that what your picking.

Intel Core i7 2600K
A P67 based motherboard
8GB (2x4GB) of DDR3 memory
A hard drive of your choice
Nice graphic card

And it looks like that "news" wasn't too wide spread?
No more Hitachi, Western Digital has acquired Hitachi for $3.5B in cash and $750 million in stocks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I read about that the other day, apparently we now have 3 choices for HDD manufactures now.
Aids
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhMunRa wrote:
Yeah I read about that the other day, apparently we now have 3 choices for HDD manufactures now.
I personally don't see the bad side of that. Western Digital for me has always been the cheap, extremely reliable brand. I've never had a WD HD fault on me. Only downside to this is less competition, which could make companies greedy (Note: Australian fuel)

Not to get offtopic, but doesn't Sandy Bridges have anti-piracy implemented in it? Don't want the OP to lose the ability to play the material he has downloaded with the express written consent of the producers and company. Which he of course has.
AhMunRa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the protection on the chip, but I'm a fairly loyal WD user as well. I've had several failures over the years, but mostly they were systems that ran 24/7 constantly. So a 5 year life on a hdd I would consider decent. Not to mention that about the time they would go it's time for more space anyway. Of note I have never had one fail and not been able to recover my data.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kls85 wrote:
Haven't got it yet and it's already outdated, what a shame...
Seriously if you want the best that is out there now, go with Sandy Bridge they far superior that what your picking.

Intel Core i7 2600K
A P67 based motherboard
8GB (2x4GB) of DDR3 memory
A hard drive of your choice
Nice graphic card

And it looks like that "news" wasn't too wide spread?
No more Hitachi, Western Digital has acquired Hitachi for $3.5B in cash and $750 million in stocks.

Yeah i read the news just few mins after posting. Never used WD but i was kinda sad to hear the news, i've been using hitachi products and never once had a failed hdd. Dunno if WD would have the same quality but i guess i'd be buying from them now since they acquired hitachi and hoping for the same quality hitachi had.

And will check that out, but i don't think the products i chose are already outdated, they're pretty 'current' and can hold their ground for a good few coming years. I also found some nice mobos by EVGA that also had SLI and other pretty good features/slot options, gonna choose something that is good and not so pricy.

ZacTheSin
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: