Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving comp on for 24/7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the the the
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot wrote:
Zacky wrote:
Do you guys think laptops are any different?
Mine's always on.

Yes, destroying your lithium battery.
mines already destroyed
anyway to fix it? and why didnt anyone tell me
Zacky
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shot wrote:
Zacky wrote:
Mine's always on.

My battery's out, it's always plugged into the wall when I'm not traveling with it.
Anything other than that?
ZacTheSin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zacky wrote:
Shot wrote:
Zacky wrote:
Mine's always on.

My battery's out, it's always plugged into the wall when I'm not traveling with it.
Notebooks arnt designed for prolonged use, they run much hotter than desktop computers and you really have to be careful with where you're sitting them.
If you blow out the fan with compressed air every couple of weeks (to avoid overheating from dust stopping the heat sink from working) and keep it on a solid surface e.g table, then it should generally run fine.

Also, have a look at how components (e.g. Capacitors) simply degrade over time - more so if they're old.

Shota
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turn my laptop to sleep/hibernate 99% of the time because i'm not a faggot and want to brag about MBA's "instant on" feature

Officially gay.
Fapfapfap
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on all the replies, it should be safe to leave it on for as long as I like.
Thanks all Smile

Shot wrote:
Zacky wrote:
Mine's always on.

Plug the battery away, problem solved.

Zacky
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZacTheSin wrote:
Zacky wrote:
Shot wrote:
Zacky wrote:
Mine's always on.

Notebooks arnt designed for prolonged use, they run much hotter than desktop computers and you really have to be careful with where you're sitting them.
If you blow out the fan with compressed air every couple of weeks (to avoid overheating from dust stopping the heat sink from working) and keep it on a solid surface e.g table, then it should generally run fine.

Also, have a look at how components (e.g. Capacitors) simply degrade over time - more so if they're old.

The fan is what I'm actually worried about the most. How would I clean the collected dust from it? Would it work if I unscrewed the bottom and cleaned it by simply wiping it down?
Also, what kind of compressed air is available to clean Laptop fans? I mean, where would I get this kind of thing?
ZacTheSin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Bugger.

I had an epic post and then I excited the window to edit an image.
fml

Anywho, this is the gist of it.

If you know anyone with an air compressor, set it to it's lowest setting and blow in the red and blue areas in the image below.

In the red, blow without making the fan spin madly. You don't want to short the motherboard by just cleaning the cpu-fan.

If you can't get hold of an air compressor, there are cans of compressed air you can buy. Local PC shop should know what's cheapest (They might even blow it out for free for you, if they're not douches).

Don't take apart the laptop. Not only is it not worth the time (40 minutes just to take it apart - if you know how it's screwed together) but unless you have an anti-static mat and anti-static wrist band you could short the computer by just skimming your hand across the motherboard by accident. And that would suck. Suck very much so.

Zacky
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZacTheSin wrote:
Bugger.

I had an epic post and then I excited the window to edit an image.
fml

Anywho, this is the gist of it.

If you know anyone with an air compressor, set it to it's lowest setting and blow in the red and blue areas in the image below.

In the red, blow without making the fan spin madly. You don't want to short the motherboard by just cleaning the cpu-fan.

If you can't get hold of an air compressor, there are cans of compressed air you can buy. Local PC shop should know what's cheapest (They might even blow it out for free for you, if they're not douches).

Don't take apart the laptop. Not only is it not worth the time (40 minutes just to take it apart - if you know how it's screwed together) but unless you have an anti-static mat and anti-static wrist band you could short the computer by just skimming your hand across the motherboard by accident. And that would suck. Suck very much so.

Ah okay, so find a compressor and blow it on those spots, or bring it in to a PC shop.

But yeah, I guess I won't take my laptop apart if that's the risk I would be taking. Thanks for the info :)
PunkMilitia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving comp on for 24/7 Reply with quote

Fapfapfap wrote:
Does it do any damage to my hardware?
Is it fine as long as it doesn't overheat?

It's quite a complex subject but in short it does and it doesn't.
It does shorten your hardware life and havign a decent brand PSU is recommended, if you have a crap one prepare for failure.

Basicly: If you leave your computer on for 24/7 for long periods of time your PSU get's a bit "weaker" shall we say so just please, make sure your PSU is good then you will be fine.
Fapfapfap
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving comp on for 24/7 Reply with quote

Godfromdfo wrote:
Fapfapfap wrote:

It does shorten your hardware life and havign a decent brand PSU is recommended, if you have a crap one prepare for failure.

Basicly: If you leave your computer on for 24/7 for long periods of time your PSU get's a bit "weaker" shall we say so just please, make sure your PSU is good then you will be fine.

I'm using CoolerMaster GX-550W.

Decent enough? I'm kinda noob to hardware stuff.

PunkMilitia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving comp on for 24/7 Reply with quote

Fapfapfap wrote:
Godfromdfo wrote:
Fapfapfap wrote:

That should handle it, would recommend you to upgrade your PSU if you upgrade any parts in the future though, just for O/C headroom Very Happy also: Next time round go with Corsair, PC&C, or something else as CoolMaster are known for being underrated and poor quality.. but this one seems alright, so have fun?
Fapfapfap
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving comp on for 24/7 Reply with quote

Godfromdfo wrote:
Fapfapfap wrote:
Godfromdfo wrote:
Fapfapfap wrote:

That should handle it, would recommend you to upgrade your PSU if you upgrade any parts in the future though, just for O/C headroom Very Happy also: Next time round go with Corsair, PC&C, or something else as CoolMaster are known for being underrated and poor quality.. but this one seems alright, so have fun?

Alright, thanks Very Happy

I've been with coolermaster for 3 years, I change/upgrade my rig once a year.
Never had a problem with their PSU/casings Smile

PunkMilitia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving comp on for 24/7 Reply with quote

Fapfapfap wrote:
Godfromdfo wrote:
Fapfapfap wrote:
Godfromdfo wrote:
Fapfapfap wrote:

Alright, thanks Very Happy

I've been with coolermaster for 3 years, I change/upgrade my rig once a year.
Never had a problem with their PSU/casings Smile

np, their cases are awesome and their PSU's are OK for internet browsing and gaming I suppose Very Happy
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that game with no story about a type of syrup running over 70 hours now. As said, as long as it's not pushing hard on your hardware it can stay on forever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: