Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking if address is valid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Auto Assembler tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Checking if address is valid Reply with quote

sometimes you may want to check if an address you're getting is valid or not. You can use isbadreadptr and isbadwriteptr for this.

Of course, keep in mind that in multithreaded apps it can happen that the memory is valid during the api call, and invalid right after it has returned so try to keep your data as close as possible

Code:

pushfd //save flags
pushad //not sure which registers get messed with with this api call
push 4  //size in bytes of pointer
lea eax,[addresstocheck]
push eax
call isbadreadptr
cmp eax,0
jne invalidmemory

//valid memory
//do stuff

invalidmemory:
popad
popfd
//done

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
atom0s

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little note about IsBadReadPointer, assuming this is just a forward to the API call:

Quote:
Important This function is obsolete and should not be used. Despite its name, it does not guarantee that the pointer is valid or that the memory pointed to is safe to use. For more information, see Remarks on this page.

Quote:
This function is typically used when working with pointers returned from third-party libraries, where you cannot determine the memory management behavior in the third-party DLL.

Threads in a process are expected to cooperate in such a way that one will not free memory that the other needs. Use of this function does not negate the need to do this. If this is not done, the application may fail in an unpredictable manner.

Dereferencing potentially invalid pointers can disable stack expansion in other threads. A thread exhausting its stack, when stack expansion has been disabled, results in the immediate termination of the parent process, with no pop-up error window or diagnostic information.

If the calling process has read access to some, but not all, of the bytes in the specified memory range, the return value is nonzero.

In a preemptive multitasking environment, it is possible for some other thread to change the process's access to the memory being tested. Even when the function indicates that the process has read access to the specified memory, you should use structured exception handling when attempting to access the memory. Use of structured exception handling enables the system to notify the process if an access violation exception occurs, giving the process an opportunity to handle the exception.

Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366713%28VS.85%29.aspx

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

that remark in the msdn is just the usual "don't access memory that doesn't belong to you disclaimer" to encourage 'proper' programming. GameHacking is an exception here since most of the time you HAVE to access memory owned by another program that hasn't told you exactly how the memory is configured.

it basically comes down to the remark that I made: "Watch out for multithreaded memory deallocations" and try to only use the values from registers in the current call.

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Slugsnack
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that function can be really unsafe even in single threaded applications. The reason being guard pages. Essentially those functions work by attempting the access then returning based upon whether an exception was thrown. For obvious reasons, guard pages completely fuck up this method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Auto Assembler tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: