Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drkgodz
Flash moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Start up Problem Reply with quote

Okay so I have this old computer that I want to get running.

I have windows XP installed on it.
I have a 1 GB ram stick inside DDR2.

I turn on the computer. The fan starts up super loud, Windows loads up, then after about 20 seconds or so, the computer turns off.

I unplugged the hard drive, and it still turns off. I know it's not the ram because I plugged it into another computer and it worked fine.

What could be the problem?

I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it just a *poof* shut off?

because that sounds like overheating.
Drkgodz
Flash moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slovach wrote:
is it just a *poof* shut off?

because that sounds like overheating.

Yeah.
But what could overheat in 20 seconds?

I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have another ram slot? The motherboard might only support dual channel, and not want to boot up because it only detects one stick of ram.
Drkgodz
Flash moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pho/x/ wrote:
Does it have another ram slot? The motherboard might only support dual channel, and not want to boot up because it only detects one stick of ram.

It has 4. And it boots up. It just turns off after 20 seconds.

I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any motherboard with 4 ram slots supports dual channel, and won't boot up with only 1 stick of ram. Get another gig of ram, and you'll hit two birds with one stone: Your system will actually work, and you'll have 2 gigabytes of ram.
kls85
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pho/x/ wrote:
Any motherboard with 4 ram slots supports dual channel, and won't boot up with only 1 stick of ram. Get another gig of ram, and you'll hit two birds with one stone: Your system will actually work, and you'll have 2 gigabytes of ram.

This is the most retarded thing I've ever heard!
There is no requirements that dual channel boards will require 2 sticks of ram to work.

OP's system by his problems where 20 seconds it shuts down is a overheating problem.

He can to is double check and make sure the HSF is seated properly and securely on the CPU. Sometimes it may look like it's secure, but a clip may have came loose and you won't notice it.

Better off to remove the HSF, if thermal paste is dried up, clean it and reapply then properly reinstall the HSF.

I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kls85 wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

There is no requirements that dual channel boards will require 2 sticks of ram to work.

OP's system by his problems where 20 seconds it shuts down is a overheating problem.

He can to is double check and make sure the HSF is seated properly and securely on the CPU. Sometimes it may look like it's secure, but a clip may have came loose and you won't notice it.

Better off to remove the HSF, if thermal paste is dried up, clean it and reapply then properly reinstall the HSF.

If that's true, I could have booted up my system when I first put it together. I have 4 gigabytes of ram, a 2 gb stick of which was dead when I got the first kit. I really wanted to at least turn on my computer, but it totally didn't work because of the dead stick. I thought "Hey, I'll just run it with only one stick for a few minutes before I rma, just to test it out". The mobo would not turn on. I didn't know that I could magically make only one stick work, or else I probably would have.
kls85
I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pho/x/ wrote:
kls85 wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

If that's true, I could have booted up my system when I first put it together. I have 4 gigabytes of ram, a 2 gb stick of which was dead when I got the first kit. I really wanted to at least turn on my computer, but it totally didn't work because of the dead stick. I thought "Hey, I'll just run it with only one stick for a few minutes before I rma, just to test it out". The mobo would not turn on. I didn't know that I could magically make only one stick work, or else I probably would have.

My relative's system which I've built a few years ago also has a board that supports dual channel ram. I've only installed a single piece 2GB and it works fine without problems and they just added another 2GB recently.

Your technical skills still needs improvement.

I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pho/x/ wrote:

you're wrong, you can run in single channel with no issues.
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pho/x/ wrote:
Any motherboard can switch up between dual and single channel mode.
Phox
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

slovach wrote:
Pho/x/ wrote:

you're wrong, you can run in single channel with no issues.
Okay, you guys got me. I guess everyone else can successfully run a single channel of ram. But I'm still going to excuse myself, since I'm jewish, and everything in the world hates me. Just because everyone else's motherboard will switch to single channel for them doesn't mean mine will do the same for me.
Hero
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to be over heating. On my old desktop when I cleaned the dust, if I did not tighten the heatsink properly it just shut down in around 20 seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: