Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what to learn in order to develop a 3D game from scratch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercharger
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: what to learn in order to develop a 3D game from scratch? Reply with quote

hello, i got in touch with CE half a year ago and since that i got to know ASM programming. before that, i only knew about HTML code, no programming experience at all. but now i can do some unique things with ASM in existing games.
but i have got tired of fixing the not-so-perfect codes or features in existing games (may be because these games are commercial products and they were put together by many people). also, i would like to go further in computer technology, and modifying games doesn't lead to more advanced technology.
so i would like to learn a serious language such as C++ or Java, and something else necessary, to produce a stand alone software - a 3D game.

my expectation is a flight-game-like software, with decent graphics, sound, and full-dimensional physics engine with true physics calculation such as the force of air, force of hard ground, spring rate, damper etc. without network capability or advanced AI.

i can use photo editing software, 3D model software, sound editing software, etc. (almost every aspect of personal computer application, except for programming)
then what do i need to learn to make that stand alone software?
i know every game has it's own graphic engine, terrain engine, etc. how do i create my own engine?

and, can ASM alone create a software? i quite like ASM because i like to write clean codes without useless/extra instruction (which i found many in existing games). why no one talks about programming with ASM nowadays?
Cheat Engine User
Something epic
Ban

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct-x SDK
Slugsnack
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.oby.ro/rts/index.html < a game coded in pure asm
Flyte
Peanuts!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you might think it would be cool to program a game engine in pure ASM, it is a fools errand. You need to reign in your expectations on what you will be able to accomplish on your own with limited experience (i.e. - you won't be making a AAA game engine in C++).

For this reason I would recommend C# and XNA. Here is even a nice tutorial for creating a really flightsim that you could work off of: http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/series2.php
supercharger
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replies.
i browse this forum earlier, and read about some game making tools which speed up game development.
but my true objective is not to create a game, but the technology inside the game. i don't want to learn scripts of the game tools. even if i don't finish a game, it's OK. i don't want to look like cool, i just want to be an expert at something universal. so i would go for ASM or C++ or JAVA.
i guess i should learn ASM or C or JAVA before i learn the DX SDK , right?
Slugsnack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw you'll have some 'problems' trying to use directx with asm when it comes to COM because of the OOP. it can be done, just tricky
masterzero
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can do c++ and opengl as well http://www.opengl.org/
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great! i always like OpenGL better than DX.
in the games that i know of, GL has better color than DX.
NothingToShow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choose OpenGL for crossplatform.
Cryoma
Member of the Year

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just don't do things from scratch.
If you had all the skill and free time to develop a full feature game from scratch, it would be severely outdated by the time you finished.
That's why you hire a huge ass team of developers to finish something in a year.
Slugsnack

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stone wrote:
You just don't do things from scratch.
If you had all the skill and free time to develop a full feature game from scratch, it would be severely outdated by the time you finished.
That's why you hire a huge ass team of developers to finish something in a year.

You're clearly mistaking his purpose. He doesn't mean to develop a full-blown industrial-standard game which he's gonna sell to mainstream hardcore gamers.. He's making a hobbyist project for the sake of learning and his own interest. He can use ASM if he bloody well wants to.. Don't tell him what to do and what not to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Game Development All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: