Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pentool - The basics: Chapter 1 - 'Vector'ing an image/logo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Art -> Art Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sponge cake recipe
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Pentool - The basics: Chapter 1 - 'Vector'ing an image/logo Reply with quote

Quick, hopefully easy to follow tutorial in PS.
Done in CS4, but should work in other versions.
Was done quickly, but you should be able to follow it.

If you have any questions, post here.

Tutorial

Final Result

Also, please note, I closed the path before I finished doing the whole thing because it was a waste of time and very repetitive.
Do NOT close your path until you've gone 'round the whole image.
Then you can cut holes in it for eyes, mouth or w/e.

Alternate links:

Final Result

Tutorial

When you've finished, you can go to image>image size, and make it as large as you want without losing quality.

-----------------------------------------------------

This tutorial can also be easily modified to learn to cut a render too.
Instead of choosing shape at the start, choose path.
Once you're done, click make selection, then select inverse, and delete.

Last edited by sponge cake recipe on Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should rename it to 'Pentool - The basics: Chapter 1 - 'Vector'ing an image/logo.

Good job meng.
sponge cake recipe

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konr wrote:
You should rename it to 'Pentool - The basics: Chapter 1 - 'Vector'ing an image/logo.

Good job meng.

Cheers, shall do.
r34p3r

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it just be easier to use Flash's line tool?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r34p3r, no. This can also be used to cut renders and will not only teach you how to do this specific thing, but many others too.
r34p3r

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that may be true but you missed my point. Would it not be easier to "vectorize" a logo with flash's tools? Specifically flash's line tool. I can understand if it isn't but using flash does open the door for many other things. You can export the finished work as a vector to PS anyway through saving as an Illustrator file. I doubt my question's answer is a flat no. I'm sure there are bonuses to both ways, I just don't know what are the immediate advantages to using PS are when flash seems so much more suited to the job.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r34p3r wrote:
Yes, that may be true but you missed my point. Would it not be easier to "vectorize" a logo with flash's tools? Specifically flash's line tool. I can understand if it isn't but using flash does open the door for many other things. You can export the finished work as a vector to PS anyway through saving as an Illustrator file. I doubt my question's answer is a flat no. I'm sure there are bonuses to both ways, I just don't know what are the immediate advantages to using PS are when flash seems so much more suited to the job.
This tutorial isn't necessarily just for fucking vectorizing a picture. It's to learn how to use Photoshop's pentool feature.
r34p3r

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, just calm down and think about the title of the thread.
Quote:

This topic's aim is to teach people about:
1) The basics of the pen tool.
2) 'Vector'ing an image/logo.

I wondered if flash was a better application for the vectorization of an image.
I realise what this tutorial is meant to teach. I asked whether flash could do the same job more easily.

This thread is apparently only step 1 of a series designed to teach people about the pen tool but that is not its only usage. If Viral's aim was to only teach people about using the pen tool and not applying the knowledge he would be far more direct with these tutorials.

Now take notice because I don't care for your half-assed replies: I specifically asked would flash be a better application for the vectorization of images. In my opinion, yes, it is. That does not make this thread irrelevant it just suggests a different method of work. If someone was to look for a method of vectorizing an image and found this tutorial they might want a faster method. Now, this person already knows how to use the pen tool, he is not here to learn about that. He is here to find out the quickest and most accurate method of vectorizing an image. Let's say there is a different tutorial on the same subject but using flash. It is faster so he uses that. The end.

This definitely does not take away from this topic. A suggestion is only a suggestion. Do not get caught up on wording.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r34p3r wrote:
Quote:

I realise what this tutorial is meant to teach. I asked whether flash could do the same job more easily.

This thread is apparently only step 1 of a series designed to teach people about the pen tool but that is not its only usage. If Viral's aim was to only teach people about using the pen tool and not applying the knowledge he would be far more direct with these tutorials.

Now take notice because I don't care for your half-assed replies: I specifically asked would flash be a better application for the vectorization of images. In my opinion, yes, it is. That does not make this thread irrelevant it just suggests a different method of work. If someone was to look for a method of vectorizing an image and found this tutorial they might want a faster method. Now, this person already knows how to use the pen tool, he is not here to learn about that. He is here to find out the quickest and most accurate method of vectorizing an image. Let's say there is a different tutorial on the same subject but using flash. It is faster so he uses that. The end.

This definitely does not take away from this topic. A suggestion is only a suggestion. Do not get caught up on wording.
Shut the fuck up. This is a tutorial for Photoshop, why should it matter if this particular job is done better in Flash?
Cheat Engine User
Something epic
Ban

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r34p3r wrote:
Quote:

Now take notice because I don't care for your half-assed replies: I specifically asked would flash be a better application for the vectorization of images.
Yes, I think so too. But you're missing the point. This is for Photoshop. Flash has nothing to do with it. It's like a recipe what Viral made and you said it was better to use apples instead of bananas, YES THE BANANAS MIGHT BE BETTER TO USE, BUT WE DON'T CARE. THIS IS FOR APPLES.

Got it?
CrisNMP
Fun Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland wrote:
r34p3r wrote:
Quote:

Now take notice because I don't care for your half-assed replies: I specifically asked would flash be a better application for the vectorization of images.
Yes, I think so too. But you're missing the point. This is for Photoshop. Flash has nothing to do with it. It's like a recipe what Viral made and you said it was better to use apples instead of bananas, YES THE BANANAS MIGHT BE BETTER TO USE, BUT WE DON'T CARE. THIS IS FOR APPLES.

Got it?

and majority of this section only has apples.

BENBENBENBENBENBENBENBEN
zyndr0m
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can just use the pen tool and mark your way, and then add a selection. This will give you alot more of options what you want to do. e.g add a feather(useful sometimes, example hair, fading parts etc...)
r34p3r

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read and understand your argument but I must point out this thread is designed to do two things:

1) Teach people about the photoshop pen tool.
2) Teach people how to vectorize images.

I guess the reason I was slightly annoyed was because despite all my replies my question was never properly answered until Holland e.g:
r34p3r wrote:
Wouldn't it just be easier to use Flash's line tool?

konr wrote:
r34p3r, no. This can also be used to cut renders and will not only teach you how to do this specific thing, but many others too.

r34p3r wrote:

konr wrote:
This tutorial isn't necessarily just for fucking vectorizing a picture. It's to learn how to use Photoshop's pentool feature.

r34p3r wrote:
Quote:

konr wrote:
Shut the fuck up. This is a tutorial for Photoshop, why should it matter if this particular job is done better in Flash?

^.^
Now, I'm no maths teacher but I think I see a pattern.

Quote:
Why make a tutorial for an apple when the result can be made far more easily with a banana.
That was my point. It wasn't a brilliant point, it wasn't really a smart point but it was my point. Yes, my point had flaws. Many people lacked bananas, did not know how to eat bananas or were allergic to bananas but it was my preferred fruit and so I stood for it. Get over it.

Edit: Ohai, Cris.

Last edited by r34p3r on Sun May 31, 2009 1:43 am; edited 2 times in total
GG

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this tutorial!
Cheater
Ban

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love yah Viral.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Art -> Art Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: