Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Network feature non-functional? (CE4.0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smidge204
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, lesse here... I wrote a faux client to take a peek at what the sever is sending.

98 server, 2K client:

Code:
Process List item:
     pid: FFCF1EC5
    name: KERNEL32.DLL
Process List item:
     pid: FFFF5EE5
    name: MSGSRV32.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: FFFF5075
    name: MPREXE.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: FFFFACF9
    name: WINVNC.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: FFFFE2E5
    name: EXPLORER.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: FFFC506D
    name: TASKMON.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: FFFC477D
    name: SYSTRAY.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: FFFCC51D
    name: NOTEPAD.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: FFFCC169
    name: CHEAT ENGINE SERVER.EXE

2K server, 98 client:

Code:
Process List item:
     pid: 0000
    name: [System Process]

Hmm.... I used my faux client to connect locally...

2k server, 2k client:

Code:
Process List item:
     pid: 0000
    name: [System Process]
Process List item:
     pid: 0008
    name: System
Process List item:
     pid: 000AC
    name: smss.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 000C4
    name: csrss.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 000D8
    name: winlogon.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 000F4
    name: services.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 0010
    name: lsass.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 001A0
    name: svchost.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 001BC
    name: SPOOLSV.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: 001E0
    name: avgserv.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 001F0
    name: svchost.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 00214
    name: regsvc.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 00240
    name: mstask.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 00298
    name: winmgmt.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 0037C
    name: explorer.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 00310
    name: avgcc32.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 0035C
    name: hpgs2wnd.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 003B0
    name: HpqCmon.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 0034
    name: hpgs2wnf.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 001D8
    name: Netscp.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 000E4
    name: winamp.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 003F4
    name: mirc32.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 0041C
    name: calc.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 0043C
    name: dllhost.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 00478
    name: msdtc.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 0032C
    name: notepad.exe
Process List item:
     pid: 003D4
    name: VB6.EXE
Process List item:
     pid: 002A0
    name: Cheat Engine Se

So I wrote a faux server and set it up to transmit a "correct" process list to see if the client picks it up. (I used the valid process list stream from the 2k-2k setup - just echoed it back out to the 98 client).

It borked.

After some tinkering, I discovered that it worked 100% ... until I tried to send more that 15 processes. To verify, I closed everything I could to reduce the processes running on my machine to get it below 15... and it worked! I started opening up programs and testing... as soon as I had 16 processing running, it stopped working.

Even more insteresting was that it doesn't matter if I'm using my faux programs or not. Both the server and client bork if there's more than 15 items to transmit or receive... even the client I made!

Edit: I know it might hurt performance a little, but what if you transmitted the total number of items in the list at the start, and ackowleged each item sent?
=Smidge=
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it worked, did the memory view window work too then?
that one uses lots of data, BUT waits for a ack (To check if it depends on the ammount of data, or on the ammount of single packets)

about the 2k server+98 client part: Did the server say it sent the other process items too, or did it give one of those winsock buffer full +errormessage? (and hang) Or did it just hang and do nothing for 30 seconds ?

Also, isn't the TCP protocol suposed to handle the acks for me...
But I'll add some acks.

Oh yes, are you experienced with winsock programming? Whats the best way to find out when you can send data? Right now I use the select function to see if I can write or not.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I made it so that it waits for a ack before sending the next process list item. http://members.chello.nl/~cheatengine/network.zip (The ack command is 18, no param)
But I wouldn't call it a SMALL performance hit...
If I would have to do this with other stuff like the address list, results of scans, this is going to be very slow. (Although I gues I could put the whole process list in one packet, assuming the client doesnt crash because of the ammount of data received)
Smidge204
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The memory view window works, but it crashes or locks up when I try to scroll it. Only on the Win98 machine, though. (Could this be because I'm trying to read a system process? That's all I have left after trying to cut it down to 15 processes!)

The server says it sent all the data, but the client doesn't seen to get it all. No errors reported and no hanging ('cept the client, maybe it never processed a "End of process listing" packet?)

Yes, the TCP protocol does ack packets, but that's on the TCP layer. You need acks on your protocol layer to make sure the client received and properly processed each packet! (TCP only makes sure it gets there, it's your job to make sure it's handled properly)

I'm only experienced with socket programming as it pertains to VisualBasic. Would this be a bad time to mention that I have no official training as a programmer? Smile Self taught VB with a hearty helping of x86 assembly and a dollop of 87c51 microcontroller. Doesn't mean I can't hold my own, though...

Not knowing how you handle sockets, but in Win32 you can monitor the "State" of the socket. State 7 means you're connected and ready to transmit. Other than that, the only way to tell if there's anything pending transfer is to peek at the buffer - but that tells you nothing about the other side. (Your send buffer may be empty, but the client's receive buffer may not be)

VB is all event driven, so I get a function that runs whenever a packet is received, and I process the data from there. If I'm still processing when another packet arrives, then another instance of the function is created and that runs. When it's done it goes back to the original instance and resumes. (This is a real pain in the ass if the order of the packets is important, but a nice queue system keeps everything in order and the buffer empty!)

If your socket routines are event driven too, maybe it gets tripped up when it gets 16 packets in rapid succession and it corrupts the data?

*tries something*

Okay! I get transmit more than 20 items if I pause between them. So if I send one list item at a time and wait, it doesn't bork. That fits my original theory that ACKing each list item will solve the problem - since it won't send another packet until the client has properly processed the last.
=Smidge=
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the new client/server combination work ?

Quote:
'cept the client, maybe it never processed a "End of process listing" packet?

The client can only crash if it receives a command that has parameters, but never receives all the parameters (waits till it has received them all, and then starts processing)

you might also want to try out: http://members.chello.nl/~cheatengine/network.zip
It doesnt have the wait, but the process list now contains some more debug info. (could help find the exact point of the problem)
Smidge204
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! That last version seems to have fixed the process listing! Listing and changing/freezing addresses works fine, too.

Next, the memory viewer. It likes to crash a lot. (Just the client). The happens even when the server and client are running on the same machine.

Details:

Code:
CHEAT ENGINE CLIENT caused an invalid page fault in
module CHEAT ENGINE CLIENT.EXE at 018f:0040c929.
Registers:
EAX=0000000b CS=018f EIP=0040c929 EFLGS=00010207
EBX=006fde24 SS=0197 ESP=005fffe8 EBP=00600158
ECX=00000000 DS=0197 ESI=815938a4 FS=30d7
EDX=00000000 ES=0197 EDI=00600258 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
53 56 33 c0 89 85 90 fe ff ff 89 85 b4 fe ff ff
Stack dump:

Edit: More fun! It's *almost* usable over the network. Scans and list refreshes are buggy. Again, it seems to be related to the quantity of values, so it might be of a similar problem as the process list. Attached is the log from the server (I removed the bajillion "Keep-Alive"s and marked the errors with ****)

=Smidge=
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the normal cheat engine also crash in win98 when using the memory browser?

You can get the same kind of window by deselecting the disassembler in the settings under "assembler stuff"
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gues I need to add acks there too for win98 and earlier to get it to work. The problem is that that makes it slow. It takes several seconds for the process list , while normally it's there in the blink of an eye.

And then the memorybrowser:
The client sends the request for memory and waits
The server sends that memory (max 500 bytes at a time)
Client continues with sending another request or shows it on the screen.
and thats it. Dont know what could go wrong unless it's the size.
wh1t3y
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man with you two working on the network server/client of ce.. its gonna be awesome... but i have no idea what you guys are talking about with this stuff.. who else is with me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Smidge204
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal CE works fine on the 98 machine. The network version (server and client running on same machine) still dies. I get a "Timeout while waiting for data" popup.

I've been thinking about it, and it dawned on me that there really is no benefit to keeping the packet size so small. The TCP protocol is designed to handle packet fragmentation and error correction, and it's quite good at it. You can probably boost performance and reliability by simply compiling data you need to send into larger packets.

For example, compile the process list into a single string and send it all at once. (Either use delimiter bytes or the fact that the data itself tells you how big each entry is to split it up again). There's a little gain in processing overhead to put the list together, but you save much more in bandwidth and the socket libraries won't be doing so much work sending and verifying packets. I think there would be a net increase in performance and reliability.

Also, when sending memory... how are you doing that? Are you sending the ENTIRE memory space each refresh?

What I'd do, is have the client send two config values: Start and Length. The server would then read (Length)*16 bytes of memory from (Start). The start value would be based on the scrollbar's value in the memory viewer (assuming the client knows how big the memory space is!). And ideally (Length) would be just large enough to cover what's visible in the client window plus a little above and below (Since the user is likely to scroll up and down more than jump, this will keep the data that is most likely to be viewed fresh).

I think 2048 bytes of buffer would be sufficient in most cases, so at worst you're sending 2kb of data per refresh. That's 2 refreshes per second on your average crap-tastic dialup connection - not too shabby.

To further enhance, why not toss the data to zlib and compress it? There's a good chance the memory will be mostly 0's, so I'm betting it'll compress really well. (Best part is, zlib is fast, free, and you don't have to code it yourself...)

Just my $0.02 on that.
=Smidge=
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try :http://members.chello.nl/~cheatengine/network.zip
The process list is now in one buffer and the memorybrowser uses packet transfers of 2000 bytes instead of 500 bytes

Quote:
Also, when sending memory... how are you doing that? Are you sending the ENTIRE memory space each refresh?

I request only the visible parts of memory, on each refresh.
Smidge204
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn. The process list is almost instant.

The addresses I have listed are not being updated when I hav emore than a few on the list. See attached pic. Note that the first seven items have 0 for their value and the others are blank... if I scroll up, it's always the first seven! Changing these values has no effect on the server.

This only happens once I load more than a few (about 8?) items. Probably a similar problem as before. :/

BTW, Since I've been using this program so much, I'm been keeping a "wish list" of features. It's getting pretty hefty :D

Edit: Helps if I attach the pic...
=Smidge=
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the memorybrowser still crash in this new version?

I just did a test by sending 20000 small (16 bytes) packets containing a process list item to the client, and all worked fine. I also tried sending one buffer with a size of 1500KB containing a process list to the client and that worked too.

Quote:
I recently tried upgrading the Winsock pack on the 98 machine (Just plain 98, not SE) with no luck. :/

Does that mean you dont have winsock 2.0 or later ? If thats the case that might be why it's not working right with lots of small packets.
And I urge you to try everything to get winsock 2.0 installed.
Smidge204
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 32bit Winsock library on hte 98 machine was actually NEWER than the one on my 2K machine! That's definately not the problem...

The memory browser crashes only if I grab the scrollbar and move it too fast. Probably has something to do with trying to update too often and clogging the socket again?
=Smidge=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: