Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are pointers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Pointer tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snow1337
Catastrophic Cheatah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.. in one game I tried to find the pointer to a value.. it said b

The pointer is probably blah blah it was only like a few bytes under the address I was trying to point.. I tried a hex search on it.. 0 results.. then when I tried to just use that as pointer and the offset.. it showed

The pointer and offset changed it to 00000FFF or something... any ideas how to get the pointer for that?

It was an online game if that matters.

Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also make sure you try memory access exceptions, I once didn't find a pointer cuz I used debug registers. And yeah sometimes it won't just return a result, I dunno why on times like this i just use try to find base pointer...
Davethewave
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.. Ultra newb here, that looks like an alien wrote it, do you work for NASA? urg I hope I understand this stuff some day, I really want to make a trainer but the address is DMA so I dunno how. Embarassed
Davethewave
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually looked this over again and wow, I understand it now Shocked funny the way learning works.
Davethewave
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Moving pointer Reply with quote

Hi, Okay so someone please tell me what I am doing wrong Smile I open CE, I open the game I am wanting to cheat in (Neverwinter Nights) Then I find out the address of my character's health is at 0DE666C4, I click "Find out what writes to this address" then make a change to my health, I see " 00656e80 - 89 86 b4 00 00 00 - mov [esi+000000b4],eax" so I click More info, it says the value of the pointer needed to find this address is probably 0DE66610, so I go back and do a hex search for 0DE66610, I get 105 results, but I chose the lowest and most unique address 0A4B845C and click add address manually, I click the pointer check box and add 0A4B845C offset b4 and it finds my health value when I add it. But if I restart the game even though I have found the pointer, the pointer's address seems to change, I thought pointers were static and so this would be impossible. Please let me know what the dealio Smile
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's a pointer to a pointer (to a pointer etc...)
Also, dont only try the first few addresses, try some others as well. You'll have to try several times.

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Davethewave
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Pointer to a pointer Reply with quote

Pointer to a pointer, interesting Smile Thanks, to find the Pointer that points to the pointer I found would I need to search for the first pointer's address in hex as I did to find the first pointer? well I'll try different stuff thanks again.
ronthaman
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i get stuck on tha part finding my pointer when it looks like this :
005470bd - lea ecx, [edx+ebp*4]
005470c0 - mov [ecx],eax
005470c2 - cmp ebp, 1b
005470c5 - je 005470e3
Copy memory

The value of the pointer need to find this adress i probaly 0B0FBDA8

EAX = 0000000E EDX = 0B0FBA50 ESP = 0012F838
EBX = 0000000E ESI = 0B0E8D60 EBP = 000000D6
ECX = 0B0FBDA8 EDI = 0000000E EIP = 005470C2

Does nebody know what my next step should be?
Doppelwarrior19
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did'nt understand fully what pointer is and the 10bytes for health and etc ; Maybe if I will moved on and do some experiment on different game; I'll fully understand ; but I know how to find the pointer but not to the base pointer !!!!

I hope there will post a tutorial on how to get the base pointer!!!!!!!!!
BillyTheKid
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I'm trying to see if it's possible to make a teleporter for an online game... GunZ The Duel... I've got 3 addresses, but I'm trying to figure out where the hell they go (DMA ya see) how do I do this?

the 3 addresses are
110E70E0
110E70E4
110E70E8

That's XYZ for 3D mapping, so with the press of a button, I can be teleported to a health, armour or ammo pick up with in the level. But I don't understand a thing about CE (only been using it for 2 - 3 days now)

Thanks for the help, ask me if you need more details.

Oh yea, this isn't a 4 Byte, it's a float... if that helps some...
Unknownperson
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a few pointers player pointer is usally located from health address
n00ber!
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question, do you know how to find the pointers from the coordinates in game? I tried finding the offsets from finding what writes to the addresses but the offsets doesn't appear T_T
xeratal
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a pointer help to beat DMA? Because from what i've seen from CE Tutorial, if my address is 0090F100, then my pointer would be, at the address list simply P>>0090F100. However, if the system uses DMA, that 0090F100 would change, meaning that this pointer P>>0090F100 would be invalid. I have tried using this pointer for hacking - even in the tutorial, but everytime it simply gives me a ??? Value. Am I doing something wrong? Or is my understanding that pointers beat DMA mistaken? Thanks
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it beats dma yes, if you go deep enough you'll eventually find a pointer that is not DMA.

it's not always level 1, but usually at least level 2 or more. (even the tutorial uses level 2 pointers)

but assuming 0090f100 is a level 1 pointer, then 0090f100 is a static address that never changes.

and are you giving it a right offset ? did you search for the hexadecimal value of the register and used the address if found as base pointer ?

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
xeratal
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is I did something wrong. I put no offset, how do you know which is your offset? I tried looking at your sketch - Other topic, but I don't really understand (Really newb at hacking Embarassed ) If the value of the register you're talking about is the "Most likely address" in the what writes to this address section, then yes, I got it and that pointer. I only found 1 pointer if that's what you're asking too. Are you able to guide me on what to do? I did think it might be that there was such things as something pointing to a pointer, so I did try finding out what reads to the pointer but I think I screwed up there. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Pointer tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: