Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheat Engine Tutorial Dont make sence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelgod101a
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Cheat Engine Tutorial Dont make sence. Reply with quote

So I'm on step 6: pointers.
the part that says "Now click on manually add and select the pointer checkbox.

The window will change and allow you to type in the address of a pointer and a offset.
Fill in as address the address you just found."

Well this is wrong. totally wrong. When I click the pointer checkbox, the address box becomes non editable, ie. I cant write anything in the address box.
Also none of the information above that part makes any sence. like searching for the value given in the extra info window.

My extra window window shows a lot of data. But the part I think its telling me to search for is the line that says "The value of the pointer needed to find this address is probably 00000174"

So I search for that in hex like the tutorial says. The tutorial then says you may get many results and the one you want is the smallest. Well that makes no sence because all the values found are the same, 00000174. So non are the smallest because all are the same.

This part of the Tutorial needs to go into much greater detail as to what im searching for because I have no idea how to do pointers. Ive tried many different ways of executing these vague instructions and nothing I do makes that next button appear. Can some one please tell me how to do this in more proper detail than the tutorial offers?

ok i found the problem this step needs re-written to this:::

Tutorial step 6 needs rewritten to this:::

Step 6: Pointers: (PW=098712)
In the previous step I explained how to use the Code finder to handle changing locations. But that method alone makes it difficult to find the address to set the values you want.
That's why there are pointers:

At the bottom you'll find 2 buttons. One will change the value, and the other changes the value AND the location of the value.
For this step you don't really need to know assembler, but it helps a lot if you do.

First find the address of the value. When you've found it use the function to find out what writes to this address.
Change the value again, and a item will show in the list. Double click that item. (or select and click on more info) and a new window will open with detailed information on what happened when the instruction ran.
If the assembler instruction doesn't have anything between a '[' and ']' then use another item in the list.
If it does it will say what it think will be the value of the pointer you need.
Go back to the main cheat engine window (you can keep this extra info window open if you want, but if you close it, remember what is between the [ and ] ) and do a 4 byte scan in hexadecimal for the value the extra info told you.
When done scanning it may return 1 or a few hundred addresses. Most of the time the address you need will be the smallest one. Now click on manually add and select the pointer checkbox.

The window will change and allow you to type in the address of a pointer and a offset.
Fill in as address the address you just found in the bottom box.
If the assembler instruction has a calculation (e.g: [esi+12]) at the end then type the value in the next box up, else leave it 0. If it was a more complicated instruction look at the calculation.

example of a more complicated instruction:
[EAX*2+EDX+00000310] eax=4C and edx=00801234.
In this case EDX would be the value the pointer has, and EAX*2+00000310 the offset, so the offset you'd fill in would be 2*4C+00000310=3A8. (this is all in hex, use calc.exe from windows in scientific mode to calculate)

Back to the tutorial, click OK and the address will be added, If all went right the address will show P->xxxxxxx, with xxxxxxx being the address of the value you found. If thats not right, you've done something wrong.
Now, change the value using the pointer you added in 5000 and freeze it. Then click Change pointer, and if all went
right the next button will become visible.

extra:
And you could also use the pointer scanner to find the pointer to this address.

oleksa.
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: "Tutorial step 6 needs rewritten to this:::" Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the second look on the task description. I also didn't comprehend a statement 'Most of the time the address you need will be the smallest one'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: