Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How a recurring BP is implemented?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toffler
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: How a recurring BP is implemented? Reply with quote

I'm trying to understand how this debugger works in case I set a BP and the program being debugged keeps hitting it every time it comes to it. If you use int3 then after a BP is hit and all scripts are processed you need to decrement EIP and restore the first byte of the command from 0xCC to the original and let the program run, right? How do you go from there and reset the BP?

Thank you!
FreeER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to pretend I actually know but... CE is open source: https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine/tree/master/Cheat%20Engine

I'd assume debugeventhandler.pas and debughelper.pas would be the most relevant.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

normally CE uses hardware breakpoints (so not CC) and uses the Resume Flag in EFlags to skip the breakpoint (win vista and later)

but when CE does use a software breakpoint (cc) , or win xp, it removes the breakpoint, sets the Trap Flag in eflags so it breaks on the next instruction and on that next instructionbreak put the breakpoint back and continue running (Note that with software breakpoints it can theoretically happen that the same code is executed by multiple threads, and that in the time between removing the breakpoint, the single step, and restoring the breakpoint, the code can have been executed by a different cpu)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
toffler
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Idea Idea Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: