Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointer Scan help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vindictive
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Pointer Scan help Reply with quote

I've been trying to make a poker bot. My first step is getting the gamestate from my poker client. You're dealt 2 cards and I've found the dynamic memory locations of these card values. Now I'm trying to find the base pointer using pointer scans. However during my 2nd or third pointer scan I go from a billion results to 0. Assuming I know how to do the pointer scans properly what else could I be doing wrong? What things should I try?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: too small level
2: too small structure size
read http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=602561

now, make sure it's not running inside an emulator (like browser, java, etc...) else pointers won't work

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Vindictive
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dark Byte,

I have a few follow up questions:

The pointer map thing works for some addresses and not for others, particularly ones that I suspect are a part of a data structure (eg linked list)
so I've increased the max level of my pointer scan to 15.

1. Is 15 too big of a jump? What's the largest pointer chain you've come across?

2. When searching for values in CE sometimes it finds a static memory address right away. I don't understand why CE finds some static addresses but not others?

3. Is it ever okay to stop a pointer scan? I just mean once it finds 1 billion, 10 billon, 100B results can we usually assume our pointer is found?

4. Why does "brute force" pointer scan exist if generate pointer map is the faster "better" way there must be a difference?

5. I'm running a pointer scan now (the max 15 level one) it's only been running for 20 min but it says all the threads are sleeping and the paths/ second have slowed down considerably. What's going on?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pointermaps are just snapshots of the target. if the pointermaps cause you to not find something, then a rescan would have removed it as well

1: i have seen 12 myself, but linked lists can go deeper(though important things usually have a secondary path to it)

2: not sure what you mean with static address. do you mean pointer path? if so, that depends on luck. (it could happen that one cpu was slightly faster than another one adding a workunit to the queue earlier than the other)

3:no, stopping a pointerscan is like throwing away the time you spent scanning. having 100 billions of results doesn't mean it includes the 15 pointers that are actually correct
(you can resume a stopped pointerscan though)

4: it's the original method and some people don't like change. when you first install ce and try to disable pointermaps you even get a warning that it's stupid to disable that

5: did you run out of diskspace or ram?( less than a GB free)
else could be a bug. (can you stop it?)
how large are the queues ?

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: