Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypervisor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rovnix
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Hypervisor Reply with quote

Hi and good day everyone.

What must i study or have an idea of before i can code a Hypervisor like virtualbox? i have knowledge of Driver programming in C and i know some ASM.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything in this pdf : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-system-programming-manual-325384.pdf

and also https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-instruction-set-reference-manual-325383.pdf if your asm isn't that good, and when emulating instructions

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Deine Mutter
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
everything in this pdf : https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-system-programming-manual-325384.pdf

Just out of curiosity, how much of this did you actually read before developing DBVM? I get that you need some serious low-level knowledge when you wanna get into hypervisor development, but we are talking about a convoluted mess of 2000 pages, most of which can be treated as reference work. If one aims for a thin hypervisor like DBVM, it seems like an overkill to me to read the Chipzilla manuals from start to finish (I know that the OP asked for a full-blown hypervisor like VBox, but maybe that's not what he wants). Projects like SimpleVisor [1] seem like a better place to get started, although some chapters of the Intel manuals are indispensable of course.

[1] https://github.com/ionescu007/SimpleVisor

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapter 1 to 33, and 35 as reference (you can skip, 14, 15 and 16 as that's only for failing systems which you probably don't need to support and power management which you best leave to the OS)

you need to understand and implement segment registers, paging, real mode, protected mode, cpu boot initialization and multicore cpu init (if you intend to boot up your system with your VM)
task management implementation of the CPU (setting up the TSS)
implementing interrupts and handling exceptions. Know the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit mode interrupts (don't forget realmode interrupts if you intend to boot up)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General programming All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: