Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Optical Drives_AND_USB ports disappear?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magellenproject
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Will Optical Drives_AND_USB ports disappear? Reply with quote

I know have about 6 CD-R's of my Music backed-up. Some of it is
PURE GOLD

Nearly all of it has never seen mass-market mainstream success.
And the Artists I listen to do not make music alongside the boring predictable formulas that give mainstream mass-market Artists mainstream mass-market success. ±
We're Talking: "Donnacho Costello", "Jim Bartz", "Bing Sattelites", "Arc", "Peter Kasen"
"Juan Pablo Zaragoza", "Laura Sullivan"
All_good_stuff
Most of this stuff i bought off of Bandcamp. If Bandcamp goes out of business, just like Audiojelly did, then I wouldn't be able to re-download it again.
• Should I buy a Large possibly 128GB USB thumb drive, and move my 9 CD-R's worth onto it, in case computers stop shipping with optical-drives?
• If I go ahead and buy the USB thumb drive and put my music on, what stops manufacturers from stopping computers from shipping with USB Sockets.
When you look at the largest (mainstream) market-segment. Then all you see are Macbook users, who back all they're proprietary files to Apples proprietary cloud, using their Macs proprietary software, utilising their proprietary hardware. ±]
•IF APPLE stop putting in USB Slots wont PC Case Manufacturers just follow suit and stop making PC Cases that allow room for an Optical Drive?
• If they end up removing the USB ports from PC motherboards how will I Plug in an external optical drive. Will then every PC+apple consumer just docilely use Microsoft's Cloud instead of Thumb-Drive or Optical media for back-ups?
• How the hell am I then suppose to have access to my CD-R's that I have backed-up. In this scenario All my music will be gone from me effectively forever?
Then the only way to have music would be to go back to shopping for Mainstream music from HMV.
I'd rather eat toothpaste than do THAT.
± It_wont_be_long_before_Apple_makes_Wi-fi_hotspots_proprietary
±I think its Something to do with Dopamine, I read that in an Article somewhere
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optical drives are not going anywhere anytime soon. Do systems ship without them? Yes. But external solutions exist for that reason and you can always just buy one and install it into your system yourself. You are not going to see them disappear out of no-where.

USB is a highly-common standard port currently. You are not going to see it go anywhere anytime soon either. The move to newer versions may happen but USB 3.0 is going to be fairly standard on all upcoming boards for years to come. Along with that, adapters/converters exist to go from [nearly] any port type to another to prevent issues with old hardware requirements such as what you are stating.

If you want to store things in the event that it may become unobtainable in the future, I'd suggest investing in a NAS.

Regardless of what type of storage option you pick, it will eventually become obsolete and replaced by something newer. When that time comes, just move the information from one thing to another and so on.

It is not going to be like tomorrow morning USB suddenly no longer exists.

magellenproject
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:

....If you want to store things in the event that it may become unobtainable in the future, I'd suggest investing in a NAS.

Regardless of what type of storage option you pick, it will eventually become obsolete and replaced by something newer. When that time comes, just move the information from one thing to another and so on...

Will a NAS drive still use codecs and standards that will still be around in the future though?
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, you're worrying for nothing. Things haven't changed in the last decade, they're not going to in another decade. Everything you mentioned is going to stay. HDDs will still be expensive as fuck and SSDs and GPUs and CPUs will be micro increments with each generation.

I actually think desktop might become obsolete as everyone is moving to laptops and mobile. It's what the greedy companies are focusing on.

I can't say that about Apple though, they might remove every port on their expensive as fuck, useless products and sell useless bricks but they look at products from a fashion point of view and not functionality so at least it will look good, who cares it has no function. It is working for them though.

I am talking about the real companies who are making "ugly" functional computers.

PS: Oh bandcamp and every small company is going out of business in future, every company will be either bought by Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook or crushed and filing for bankruptcy from competition with these giants. The future is theirs

atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magellenproject wrote:
atom0s wrote:

....If you want to store things in the event that it may become unobtainable in the future, I'd suggest investing in a NAS.

Regardless of what type of storage option you pick, it will eventually become obsolete and replaced by something newer. When that time comes, just move the information from one thing to another and so on...

Will a NAS drive still use codecs and standards that will still be around in the future though?

Codecs are not going to just stop being around and working. Use the most common formats today and those will be the ones still supported the best in the future. And again, as times progress and things become obsolete, just update your backups to use the newer formats and so on. Either way, you will always have the option to install or create a VM with an older system on it to handle your old data types and so on. For example, you can still install Windows 3.11 if you wanted to on a VM and use it etc.

Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compress and encrypt all your junk, add generous PARs, then buy a usenet subscription and dump your files up there every now and then.
Unlimited "cloud" storage. (you can access it from anywhere with a client and your username/password)
That's what I do with all my backups; I have about 100GB up there by now, lol - for a flat fee.
Most usenet providers offer 2000+ days retention - that's more than 5 years.

You could also rent space from a single cloud provider - but I don't like this because when they go out of business, you have to re-upload everything.
Whereas usenet is mirrored at each service provider, so when you change provider, your data will still be up there (provided that it's within their retention window, but if you re-upload it once a year, you are more than good).

To respond to you original question: Windows XP is still around - what does that tell you? PCs are long-term investments because owners are not dependent on a single vendor. As such, PC owners can't be manipulated by the vendors because a PC owner simply swaps out components that they don't like. That goes for any hardware and software.
Have a look at how Apple makes billions on forcing half the world to buy a new device every 2-3 years and you will know what I mean. Microsoft is trying to do the same, but PC owners have plenty of alternatives, so they will never succeed.
That said, USB is here to stay: it's in every motherboard, quite a few monitors and you can also buy USB hubs. Keep in mind that USB devices break, too! Plus, there is that security vulnerability issue.

Optical drives will have an even longer life span than USB because the external enclosures will always support the newest connectivity methods. I even have my old USB/Firewire enclosure laying around...

NASes are far more expensive than usenet ever was (and will be) because you need a RAID 6 controller and a bunch of drives. The drives will die in 2-5 years depending on your NAS use, so you will need to keep swapping them and investing money.
I have a NAS at home (32TB), but it's off most of the time - and I have only huge files on it: family movies and stuff that would be too painful to upload every year due to their size.
The NAS I ran previously was smaller (12TB) but the disks gave up after 4-5 years because it was turned on most of the time. Hence the new approach with the new, bigger NAS.
magellenproject
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: ORLY? Reply with quote

STN wrote:

....PS: Oh bandcamp and every small company is going out of business in future, every company will be either bought by Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook or crushed and filing for bankruptcy from competition with these giants. The future is theirs...

A company can only be bought if the company agrees to it.
If a company is taken by force then that's called "Civil Seizure" in the US, I looked it up on Wikipedia.
I'm not sure what its called in the UK, where i live.

Only a government will take anything by force, that's independent of any ideology or political beliefs, that's just a fact.

There are always gaps in my knowledge, but I have never heard of a case when a Corporation force-ably steals away customers.
Again, Force?, where are they Armies to do it?

I define force as something that has to be obeyed otherwise legal sanctions are put forward.
Going to Prison, Bailiffs/Police knocking on doors, Debt Collectors, Army, Prosecution, etc etc.
A Corporation can only "make" people sit on the Naughty-Step, not ruin their lives, like a Policeman/Judge/Prosecution Lawyer/Traffic-Warden/Politician can.

Maybe its the books (mostly Libertarian Books) I read, but until a Google/Microsoft/Sony Records/Polygram Employee can Legally Search me in the street, I wont assume they derive they're power from being Capitalists, i will assume they derive they're power from using the State-Hammer on me.

Unless Searching is being applied through legislated State_interventionism. Applied by the guilty corporation in question who went through the courts.
A Corporation can do anything once its gone through the courts.
But still then they are being Capitalists with State power they bought. An dangerous breed of Capitalist.

A corporation may put a company in a position where they would be at a severe disadvantage not sell they're assets/company/stock to the larger company.
They do this by undercutting them.
They undercut them by offering competitively better services/products at a competitively better price/quality per quantity.
So The Theory Goes

I'm not sure how it works, probably the Board of Directors sits down and basically says we can either Merge out companies Assets and or ????? something, or be OUTCOMPETED)
AFAIU, and from what I read, a company will only be bought out if its in the companies own "Rational self-interest" to do allow it.
From What I Read, and Understood anyway..

This is not the same as Google+Apple raising an Army and "crushing" Bandcamp they cant Legally do that. Not yet anyway.
You used the word "crush", I'm assuming you meant in a Business sense not a Legal Sense. or LITTERAL sense

Have I took you literally?

Because, for instance, theoretical, the more "Austrian" a level Economics is allowed to operate at, then the less respect there will be for any LEGAL "Crushing"/Interventionism particularly in a Napoleon Bonaparte sense.
I don't know a huge about Bonaparte but I think you get my drift.
I got the impression that both US and UK Economics is far from being anything close to Austrian, but I could be wrong.

As far as I can see it, businesses in a Trully Free Market doesn't Literally crush anyone they just offer more range, at a competitively better quality, at a lower price.
ALSO..Publicly lim[/url]ited companies are just one type of company anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privately_held_company

Bandcamp offers THAT RANGE by catering for niche music interests, in the form of selling the music of small time Artists. That's what you would call its
"Segmentation Bias" I think.
Its "Market Segment" consists of Niche small Amateur Musicians and possibly, only a FEW Mainstream Artist's that have already made Mainstream Labels such as Universal, Sony, Polygram, EMI, BMG and Warner Music, "happy"*.
*Probably by bending-right-over-and-grabbing-the-otherside-of-the-bed
Radiohead were on Bandcamp at one point, but they got pissy because people where only paying £1 for each of they're albums......

....after they set a minimum price of £1 for each of they're albums.
Rolling Eyes

Bandcamps "Competitive Edge" if you will is that fact that it doesn't have its head up its Arse when it comes to incorporating the works of smaller more refined, subtle, gracious, sophisticaed, discerning, elegant, finespun, high-minded, suave, and tasteful unkown Amateur Artists into its catalogues.

The Artists that have mass-marketable appeal and thus hence get signed to EMI, Sony Music, PolyGram, Warner Music Group, appeal to the masses because the quickest way to make money is to sell crass, uncouth, unrefined, maladroit, oafish, crude, graceless, lumbering, inelegant, senseless music to those masses.
And these guys have Shareholders to give Dividends to, which come out of the lost profits, the crap-anyway Artists would of made once they have finished being ripped of by they're Labels.

And then in come the https://basca.org.uk/....
Who ostensibly want to stop Artists in general getting their CD's ripped by customers into a file format(the CD's that customers Legally bought from a store) so that the customers who paid for they're music can listen to it on they're Mp3 Player. I say ostensibly because BASCA basically only really care about the Mainstream Artists signed to the UK arms of Mainstream Labels.
EMI, PolyGram, BMG, Warner Group, etc etc.

They pettiton the UK's Supreme court for legislation that makes it technically Illegal to rip CD's in the UK. People would then have to buy the artists music twice, which seemingly would deny all the record labels I mentioned above, and they're shareholders additional revenue for Mainstream Artists shitty music and Dividends for the Shareholders of the Label the Artists are signed to. Because unenforceable...Government Leglislation, is possibly one the few ways a coercive exploitative monopoly, like a mainstream record label can keep their Artists crap music proffitable.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I skimmed through your wall of text and the gist of it is i don't know what i am talking about but from what i read and understood. And you're right you don't know what you're talking about but it is hard to know and talk about the world from your mom's basement until you go out and see how the world works or actually do something productive from your basement too. Also the random capitalization of words made my eyes hurt and i am not even joking, i didn't read because of that. It does show your age though.

The funny thing is all this unsure gibberish you wrote is because you misunderstood my statement and for that you look like a fucking idiot, at least to me.

So let me make my statement again so an idiot understands.

Companies need money to run especially big companies need A LOT of money to run - to pay their employees, to manage their business costs and all the other costs - and companies NEED to be profitable after all that cost otherwise it doesn't make sense for them to exist. People attached to a company have families, families need money to survive in this world and so the families work for the company and they expect to be paid.

Now that you understood that - i hope - so we established that a company doesn't run on hopes and dreams or to show the world that "fact that it doesn't have its head up its Arse when it comes to incorporating the works of smaller more refined, subtle, gracious, sophisticaed, discerning, elegant, finespun, high-minded, suave, and tasteful unkown Amateur Artists into its catalogues. " No they're for profit.

Good, now to my original statement. Companies are bought because they get offered huge sums of money and it is not necessarily because they're not doing profits. They could be profitable but for a fuckload of reasons...i can't mention them all but i hope you read up on why some companies sold in the recent past to understand why they did but i'll give a few examples - because they don't have sufficient resources to take their business to the next level, the company will never make the amount of money that's offered to them, the head of companies are greedy and want to make their life "AWEESSOOMMEE" and buy shit they could never if they run the company on their own e.g buy that island and private jets.

So now you know why a company will sell. It's not because the army or they're forcefully taken, the fuck's army got to do with this shit ? Or the Government ? I can't believe you wrote a wall of text on govt, you must hate your army and govt. But i hope i made you realize that it's very normal for a company to sell without the army and govt involvement, i don't even see that shit in movies so no idea where you got that idea from.

So moving on, why would Google and the giants buy bandcamp or [insert any other company]. Because it is doing well in their niche and they think it will be an awesome company/niche to add to their portfolio. I can give so many examples here both from my profession but i'll give one that you probably understand. WHATSAPP

Right now you get why the giants might be interested in a small company. Suppose the small company isn't interested in selling. Now what ? These giants have what you don't, an infinite sum of money. They have money to throw and you know what that money can do ? MAKE their bandcamp like service and they can MAKE it EVEN BETTER if they were so inclined because Google has infinite money. This might be very hard for you to understand since you don't know how world works or you wouldn't have made such a dumb post to begin with. SO let me break it down for you.

Back when in the olden days, Nokia was the king of cellphones and symbian was the shit and blackberry and all that crap you heard of. I mean you probably don't know since it is from before your times but Google made Android and guess what happened to Symbian and Nokia?. This might be a difficult example, let's make it even simple. Google can make a video of you taking a dump VIRAL, they have that much power. So does any of the other giants. How? I'll let you figure that out by yourself.

So what happens when a strong competitor comes in market against a small company ? People flock to the new one. If you look back at what i said above, a company has to be profitable to run...if it loses its audience..it stops being profitable. So what happens then? It goes bankrupt and it closes = CRUSHED!.

So i really hope from my huge lecture, you now understand the army is there to defend your countries borders, the govt is there to run a country and they don't interfere with small companies. And you hopefully understand how a small company has a lot of struggles and things become even harder if a giant company decides to fuck with them. And the future is theirs because that's where we are heading. Google is venturing into medicine now, fuck they are venturing everywhere BECAUSE they have infinite money and have to be everywhere.

Here's a very close example, THEESA bullied Dark Byte and shut down cheat tables here. The govt or army wasn't involved

magellenproject
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: ORLY? Reply with quote

1. I am from England.

2. I'm 33 I do know how the world works.
I worked for the John Lewis Partnership one of the most successful retail firms in the United Kingdom for nearly 12 years.

3. Why do you assume I'm younger, or younger than you, in your lofty high and mighty appraisal of me.

4. You have just reworded in your post what I basically posted with slightly different semantics. And then you Disagree... ? You post roughly the same information. Granted my post was a little more articulate.

5. I don't live in any basement. I own a £250,000 apartment in the UK. People over here don't live in basements because we called them "Cellers" and they're for storing vino sometimes. And only in the Country homes of wealthy people usually.

6. I have read a fairly large number of books on economics/political philosophy books.

7. Most of classmates in Sixth Form in 2001....when I was 17...HAD a Nokia 3310. Before my Time you say?

8. If I am unsure on something I will post that I am, because I am not arrogantly deceitful. I consider honesty the highest virtue.

Maybe if Millennials didn't have the attention spans of Goldfish you wouldn't find it too taxing upon yourself to read large passages of text like this one..
LOL

Here are some of the Book's I've read.
• Frederic Bastiats "The Law"
• Ayn Rand's "Anthem"
• Consumer Behaviour and Marketing Strategy (European Edition)

• Where does Money Come From A guide to the UK Monetary and Banking System with a Foreward by Charles A.E Goodhart.
<-This book taught me a wealth of Information on Macroeconomics, and is the sole source of

• Lysander Spooner Vices are not Virtues

•Murray Rothbard's Man Economy and state.
•Stefan Molyneux Practical Anarchy
•Stefan Molyneux Everyday Anarchy.

atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the flaming and bickering like children off the forums. Take it to pm's if you want to argue off-topic nonsense. Get back on topic or this is going to get locked.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then what's your excuse for typing like this
Quote:
Going to Prison, Bailiffs/Police knocking on doors, Debt Collectors, Army, Prosecution, etc etc.

I have only seen kids type like this and not mature men.

If your point is the same as mine now then i can conclude you just wanted to argue for the sake of arguing and not because you had a different point.

Your achievements in life mean nothing to the argument, i hate when people do that. And nowhere have i said i am better than you, i am pissed off though that you wrote all that about the govt and army and now won't even stand up and defend yourself and post shit like "we had the same point".

NO we did NOT have the same point. You were talking about how companies never sell, how they can never succumb to competition and how only the army and govt can force company to close or w.e you were on about that that i felt was so stupid i didn't bother reading completely.

I stand by my point
....PS: Oh bandcamp and every small company is going out of business in future, every company will be either bought by Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook or crushed and filing for bankruptcy from competition with these giants. The future is theirs...

It's happening and it has happened. I went over a little detail in my post above and it will keep happening in future. It's just up to the interest of big companies whether they want to venture into a certain field and how profitable it is.

magellenproject
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Seriously? Reply with quote

STN wrote:
Well then what's your excuse for typing like this
Quote:

NO we did NOT have the same point. You were talking about how companies never sell, how they can never succumb to competition and how only the army and govt can force company to close or w.e you were on about that that i felt was so stupid i didn't bother reading completely.

You posted quite few things there, misquoting me, to prove your not at all being clever, but i just wanted to catch you there on those few points.

• Companies will only Sell they're Assets, merge with another company, Acquire another companies assets, collude with other companies to form a CARTEL IF and ONLY IF the board of directors AND/OR the CEO's AND/OR shareholders decide to go ahead with the deal(The deal being itself a choice)
Sometimes (from what i have read) the board of directors can push an merger acquisition requisition on the CEO, and the CEO will cede(again that's what I have read)

(cartels are illegal)

• With the whole army and government thing, i was mainly making a point to prove to you that ONLY VOLUNTARY ACTIONS can take place in a truly free market. The coercive parts almost exclusively come from the state.

• When you say Succumb to Competiton, you make competition sound like a bad thing. I'm sure Clinton supporters have the same Idea.

Competition is a GREAT thing, its what drives market places. Competition is made up of lots and lots of Voluntary decisions people make. Thats the point i have made in every one of my posts.

• Corporate actions, that are not voluntary decisions, only take place in Mafia-esque protection Rackets.
Are phrases like this, in my perfect British grammar confusing?

In the UK we used to have Nationalised railways (InterCity) before an act of parliament (thank goodness) got rid of them, we still have a State Broadcaster, The NHS and moderate Social Security. (Most people think welfare payments are a good thing, I'm not so sure)

In the book "The law" Frederic bastiat makes some astounding points to disprove the validity of institutions like Taxes and the Welfare State.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: