Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will the AMD Ryzen 5000 series perform better with CE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etheron
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Will the AMD Ryzen 5000 series perform better with CE? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using an intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz(OC) since 2016.

I always used intel CPUs because back in the days I've heard that AMD CPUs had bad reputation, but things seems different now, so I was wondering if I can expect a better performance in CE using the new 5000 series CPU.

I was thinking in upgrading my system to the latest intel CPU when AMD came with this new CPU announcement, and now a lot of reviewers are talking about how this new CPU is better than intel, so i was wondering if I should move to AMD from now.

My main concern in this topic is if it will perform better with scans with CE compared to intel CPUs, and not about everyday tasks or gaming performance.

By the way, I'm planning to buy the 5800X when it becomes available in the stores again.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CE is performing better with faster memory and disk IO.
So, get a quality motherboard with a good chipset, low-latency RAM and a good SSD.

Last edited by Csimbi on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Will the AMD Ryzen 5000 series perform better with CE? Reply with quote

Etheron wrote:
AMD came with this new CPU announcement, and now a lot of reviewers are talking about how this new CPU is better than intel

context?
there is nothing called better in general.

the speed of the CPU is affected by several factors, and its going to be a long list to mention them all.

X CPU may perform better on A system, and sucks on B system.
it also depends on how the system is utilizing the CPU, it cores; as well as how the software is sharing and distributing it tasks.

one software may use i5's quad-core better than i7's quad-core+hyperthreading, so just keep such things in mind.

to be more CE specific:
open CE, head to Settings -> Scan Settings: edit size of buffer.
its in kilobytes, you may want the number to be in power of page size. (its generally 4KB for 1 page in Windows but it can be changed)
example:
4096*10=40960KB or 40MB

another thing to edit is Thread Priority (still under scan settings)
you may want to change it to higher or highest.

also when you are going to buy new RAM make sure to pick one with low latency, latency usually expressed as 5-9-7-6 ... the lower the number the better; as CPU's RAM reading/writing is in sync with ram latency.

last thing:
by default processor affinity for CE is all cores, however process priority may be changed programmatically or you may want to ask Dark Byte to give an option to set the priority to higher or highest from within CE's settings.

STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
atom0s

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'better' is due to the new AMD chips taking the single-core performance crown away from Intel this generation. However, just because reviewers claim something is better does not mean it's better in every context. CE's scan speeds are heavily impacted by disk IO performance as Csimbi mentioned.

In your setup, yes, the AMD processor will perform better than your current Intel chip. But as already recommended, getting the best SSD performance possible will also heavily impact it. (ie. NVMe gen 4 would be ideal for the best performance on a newer platform.)

Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Will the AMD Ryzen 5000 series perform better with CE? Reply with quote

OldCheatEngineUser wrote:

to be more CE specific:
open CE, head to Settings -> Scan Settings: edit size of buffer.
its in kilobytes, you may want the number to be in power of page size. (its generally 4KB for 1 page in Windows but it can be changed)
example:
4096*10=40960KB or 40MB

From my experience, 16k works much better for me on SSD than the default or a higher value.
This is where I got it from in the first place - years ago, when I still thought higher is better Wink
OldCheatEngineUser
Whateven rank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fk me, i got the math wrong; i meant power of four. ....
STN wrote:
i am a sweetheart.
Etheron
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've noticed a good performance boost in the scans when I first upgraded my system from HDD to SATA SSD, and when I finally got my NVMe M.2 SSD, it got even faster! Shocked

So, it seems that the last thing I should do now, is changing the scan buffer size and look for a low latency RAM when buying the new CPU. Cool

Thanks guys, I think it solved my doubts. Wink
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can screw your low latency RAM if your motherboard cannot deliver.
Gigabyte does not make the best motherboards, but from my experience, they always made the fastest controllers that were will affordable.
Be sure to look at the some benchmarks before you buy.
I usually look at the WinRAR benchmarks, they are quite intensive - well, they were 6 years ago when I bought this PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: