Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

String sometimes changes to pointer to string

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Astaroth4256
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: String sometimes changes to pointer to string Reply with quote

Offset 238 is the entity name (displayed in game), the first address (1B2C6410) has a long name so 1B2C6410+238 is a pointer to string, but the second address (1B706670) has a short name so 1B706670+238 is a string - not a pointer. The problem here is how to determine when the address is a pointer or a string, so it can be read from C code.
I tried looking around for an address with a value that determines if the string is a pointer to string or an actual string but I could not find anything, I also tried using a code that would "guess" if the address is a pointer or a string and it worked in 95% cases but the remaining 5% would often cause the bot to get stuck or ignore something important.
These two addresses are just an example how the game "saves it's strings" and I don't know how to read these strings properly, so I believe someone else has encountered a similiar issue before and has a solution for this.

Another example:
Offset 784, this is a different string, same problem
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=593851

The bounds of the string appear to be stored just after the string itself. For example, in your second image, addresses at the offset 0x76C is the start of a string, the next 16 bytes could be characters in the string (last char is null terminator) or a pointer to the string, the next dword is the current length of the string, and the next dword is the maximum length of the string before memory is allocated and used to store the string.

FreeER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought would be to try and find if it stores the length of the string, my second is to look at the code that uses it to see how it determines whether it's a string or a pointer and my third is that if it's a pointer it always (based on the 2 given examples) points to address+C7*** while if its a string it points to something very different from the address.
Astaroth4256
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParkourPenguin wrote:
http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=593851

The bounds of the string appear to be stored just after the string itself. For example, in your second image, addresses at the offset 0x76C is the start of a string, the next 16 bytes could be characters in the string (last char is null terminator) or a pointer to the string, the next dword is the current length of the string, and the next dword is the maximum length of the string before memory is allocated and used to store the string.

I sometimes get stuck at trivial obstacles which have an obvious solution but this is a new record so far, I couldn't solve this for 2 years. I must apologize for bringing said problem again and thanks for showing me the solution.
That was only 14 bytes away, I'm so blind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: