Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to find an address for a particular value?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimminyfiggity
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: How to find an address for a particular value? Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I've run into a bit of a problem. There is this particular value that i want to change(25) but it cannot be modified further. Is there anyway to find this specific value using cheat engine? I've tried for a while but even afte ri try narrowing it down it still has around 800 hits Sad. Any help would be appreciated. The game is underrail btw.
512MB
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find an address for a particular value? Reply with quote

jimminyfiggity wrote:
Hello everyone. I've run into a bit of a problem. There is this particular value that i want to change(25) but it cannot be modified further. Is there anyway to find this specific value using cheat engine? I've tried for a while but even afte ri try narrowing it down it still has around 800 hits Sad. Any help would be appreciated. The game is underrail btw.

What type of game is it? Online? Offline? Give us some more information!
FreeER
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example with the stats at the start to remove the limit https://youtu.be/xIv5MAdU8J0 , I'm sure there are better videos/tutorials somewhere since I just started (first vid with a mic and I really haven't bothered to edit anything) but, hopefully it helps you out. But it's not really about narrowing down the values. That's just a matter of being able to change it and then rescan more than anything else.

The basic idea behind an arbitrary limit is that the value is being compared to the limit (either upper or lower) and then it jumps to either changing the value if it's outside the limit or it continues on if it's inside the limit.

@Sare, the name of the game was given...

edit: I suppose other than simply changing the value and rescanning you can also find a related value's address and then use the data dissector to find the one you care about. But that's not guaranteed to work if you don't already know how the game is storing the values.
jimminyfiggity
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow i really didn't expect someone to post a video response!! Thanks but the value was the level for the character. I have a character at max level currently and would like to lower it. I can't change exp values since i'm already leveled up. What i meant by modified further is that i cannot freely change it in game to find the address.

I suppose it's my fault for not wording it properly. Is there a way to find an adress to which i know the value of without using the normal procedure? I can get it down to roughly 800 hits but that's it sadly. Sad

Thanks for the help really appreciate it.
FreeER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the obvious solution is to start a new game and find it there, then apply that information (pointers/scripts) to the save you care about Smile Or find an external tool (save editor / trainer for example) that would let you lower your level.

If there's another way for you to modify stats, even temporarily, then it's possible that the level/experience is stored nearby but there's no guarantee of that.

I can do a video on the first method later if you like Smile I've just started so really any content is good content, and practice, lol
jimminyfiggity
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game doesn't have a save editor or a good trainer(weight was a bitch to find alone). I've never used pointers at all so i would really apperciate it. I've only gone as far as changing easy values and knowing float and 4 byte values ( so a total noob :p)
FreeER

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I kind of failed in removing the limit, at least in the little testing I managed to do earlier. But I did create a quick script that should let you change your level regardless, even past the cap for what good that'll do (you can skip to 16:20 or so to save time watching me fail lol): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ3mcYzpCQ4

There's a link to my cheat table in the description (not entirely sure what the rules for sharing links to tables here is now). I also added a slightly nicer script for finding the level after the video. You should be able to use either of those to change your current level and continue as usual.

How'd you find the weight btw? I haven't managed that yet but haven't spent too much time on it either (just a few quick scans to see if it's in memory somewhere when you drop/pick-up an item, didn't figure it would be even before you mentioned it however).

edit: found weight, way I found it was to become way overburdened so I couldn't move and then start dropping things until the state changed, found a 4-byte changing between 0-3 with the state, while manually changing/freezing that didn't change anything you can find the code that cares about weight through it and write a script. Wouldn't be surprised if there was another way to find it though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: