Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't change value beyond defined min / max

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceDingus9000
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Can't change value beyond defined min / max Reply with quote

I'm playing a top down game that has a rather limiting camera zoom, and I decided to try and see if I can get around it.

I've been able to correctly identify the memory address that adjusts camera zoom, because when I change it I see the game update accordingly. There is also a memory address with the same value, but changing it has no effect, it just constantly mirrors the real value.

Now that I've found the right address though, it seems I cannot change it to be outside a standard bounds (ex: 45 and 134). If I change it to 180, the game goes to maximum zoom and sets the variable to 134, while if I change it to 30, the game goes to minimum zoom and sets it back to 45.

I'm guessing the programmers added some sort of check in the code that says
Code:

if (camZoom > 134)
{
  camZoom = 134;
}
if (camZoom < 45)
{
  camZoom = 45;
}
// do stuff

Any ideas on how I might get around this?

Thanks for reading
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to examine the assembly code to determine if any checks or allocations are being defined that set those limits. Start with the instructions that handle the zoom value. There may be an instruction that reads for that, but it is not likely to be that easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: