Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will CE be looking into getting a new logo?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicklesbe
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Will CE be looking into getting a new logo? Reply with quote

Hey,

First of all I want to say thank you to hard working and talented Dark Byte and CE staff that not only made a fantastic program that brought me endless joy over the years. I can't even remember when CE was first released. Feels like a decade or two. Tried looking online for the original date but found nothing. But I digress. Thank you for bustin your arses and getting the site back up after the BS attack. You've done an amazing job and I am truly grateful.

I also heard that at the same time Bethesda released a copy right infringement claim. Did they have anything to do with the DDos attack? Was that public knowledge when they issued it and could it be possible it was a competitor that tried to put blame on them? Either way I again digress.

Because of the claim and the slight similarity in logos will CE be possibly changing their logo? Or will this be something you would fight? If you were to change the logo are there any ideas in the pipeline? Thanks, and thanks again for everything. you've made it so this programming dunce/newb that is I fee like I've had some semblance of power and control over the games I play. For that and everything I am grateful.

Nickles.
mgr.inz.Player
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
mgr.inz.Player wrote:
Dark Byte wrote:
cheatengine.org is violating the works of companies like bethesda softworks....

Because of their logo?

No, and not just Bethesda. They also represent other companies

Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mgr.inz.Player"]
Dark Byte wrote:
mgr.inz.Player wrote:
Dark Byte wrote:
cheatengine.org is violating the works of companies like bethesda softworks....

Because of their logo?

No, and not just Bethesda. They also represent other companies

TY. I saw the post he replied to but did not see his reply.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not about the logo. There is also no similarity (bethesda doesn't own the gear icon or the idea of scales coming off C or whatever the hell it is), it doesn't even have a C letter in it.

From what i understand bethesda's gear represents and a symbol of engineering excellence whereas CE's scales represent power.

Schnitzelmaker
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was about the logo, they would also send it to many other companies which use similar icons.
Even in Starcraft there are icons which are similar to this.

The "gear" is common used by many companies and game developers.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trademarking is very specific. As previously stated, it is not the logo.
nicklesbe
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. TY for the info all. Anyone mind enlightening me as to what the claim was about? Was it because the tool modified their game? If so then it's weird they allow the modding community to do the same/worse. I mean what could have CE done that broke their copyright?
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5719643#5719643

It's a few pages long but DB has explained what he received and the full situation. It's mostly clueless assumptions about law and EULA but you should get an idea.

The email is real indeed according to DB and not from a troll.

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the notice is most probably real. However, the claim may or may not have any legs to stand on. For all we know, the notice is a result of an automated scraper and theesa is combing through their data now to determine what caused it. I would not put it past some of these companies to act so irresponsibly.
sbryzl
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STN wrote:
http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5719643#5719643

It's a few pages long but DB has explained what he received and the full situation. It's mostly clueless assumptions about law and EULA but you should get an idea.

The email is real indeed according to DB and not from a troll.

If you are suggesting I'm a troll for questioning the validity of the email then you could not be further from the truth.

There is logical reason to believe a bogus accusation would be sent by email at the same time an illegal attack was launched against a website. All we know is an email was sent by someone claiming to be theesa. It could be. But it could also be spoofed. The only way to be certain is to contact theesa while avoiding the original email chain.

I'm not a troll. I am being helpful not inflammatory or mocking. I could be wrong about the email, but I could be right and it's worth taking into consideration.
cloaked url
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said you're a troll, it was to someone who said a troll sent those emails.

Quote:
But it could also be spoofed. The only way to be certain is to contact theesa while avoiding the original email chain. > url

Cool story, bro. How do you catch an email going to another domain using url forwarding or the fancy term "cloaking/stealth redirection". How do you forward theesa.com when you don't own it

Do you guys even know what you're talking about? What is the problem with an email chain, does it get contaminated and then any third party can claim who they want to?

Do you guys even know how to send an email and receive one? I am honestly wondering because it seems like you guys are clueless and get scammed on daily basis not knowing if an email is real or not and if its in an email chain, God forbid, you guys completely don't know who is sending what

Fuck, i can't believe there are people arguing about the validity of the emails, how much of a stupid person do you think DB is that he can't confirm if email is real or that his first thought wasn't to confirm if it wasn't a troll. I mean, you guys know how to confirm and he can't?. If it wasn't a serious situation, i would be laughing the hell here at the stupidity i've seen in past 3 days here, i know you guys are sincere but Goddamn Laughing

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming no server-to-server encryption is in place to enforce authentication, then the IP address in the header can be crossed-checked for verification purposes.

That said, I trust DB is smart enough to properly assess the merit of the claim.

Last edited by ++METHOS on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
sbryzl
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry STN, I misunderstood the direction of the label in the comment.
STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries
Viloresi
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I guess you are getting tripped too much into this, I guess you don't know this type of cyber criminals. DarkByte is still human... So he might commit errors too like everyone, don't worry as soon as he realize that this is just a fake story, the problem will be solved. I hope that he will not accomplish any of their requests
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: