Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what happened
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
apollo1
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still dont understand how the cheatengine program by itself is infringing upon someones work. Its the tables that are right?. I dont see how user generated cheat tables infringement can even hold up in court; if that is the case.

Its like cheat engine is a dvd burner and someone is using it to illegally copy a ton of dvds, but the dvd burner is sued instead. Is that whats going on here?.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, with the added fact that information was posted on the forum where the copy protection of individual dvd's is located in dvd images generated with the dvd burning tool

hence my ruling of: no tables

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Synthespian
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
hence my ruling of: no tables
I can see the reasoning, but what an absolute arse! Evil or Very Mad
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
information was posted on the forum where the copy protection of individual dvd's is located in dvd images generated with the dvd burning tool

I don't understand that.
Could someone explain what does a cheat table and/or a forum have to do with DVD images and burning tools?
Thanks!
sbryzl
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csimbi wrote:
Dark Byte wrote:
information was posted on the forum where the copy protection of individual dvd's is located in dvd images generated with the dvd burning tool

I don't understand that.
Could someone explain what does a cheat table and/or a forum have to do with DVD images and burning tools?
Thanks!

Cmiiaw but I believe DVDs are a metaphor for copy protected content. Since reverse engineering games has the possibility of leaving behind bits and pieces of protected content that means someone might find something to complain about if they look hard enough.
Csimbi
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@sbryzl
You can't claim any rights on ASM instructions (or any bit of code for that matter).
Only entire algorithms can be protected (I know because I used to work in Legal).
The hooks we make do not contain the algorithms; it's merely one or two instructions only (which you can never prove to be an algorithm in court).
The code we add is our own.
So, no, that can't be it.
oyyzj
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had just read everything in this topic.

It is indeed sad that the site has to stay like this forever without table sections.

But the life goes on. So .. Any future plans??

Table request only through PM ?

Help request for scripts through PM too ?

Any ideas to reorganize/restructure ?
darkedone02
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point we going to be similar to piratebay.... we going to keep on moving and still make tables and trainers... you cant stop cheating...
oyyzj
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkedone02 wrote:
At this point we going to be similar to piratebay.... we going to keep on moving and still make tables and trainers... you cant stop cheating...

yes but where to upload/download tables?

an extrernal link for all members to be accessible...
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.cheatengine.org/thirdparty.php
darkedone02
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++METHOS wrote:

sometimes I fear that as we are "moving" so to speak, not enough people get the news... I think we need a front page announcement on this, but I think that's not possible due to the current situation.
CaesarCzech
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkedone02 wrote:
++METHOS wrote:

sometimes I fear that as we are "moving" so to speak, not enough people get the news... I think we need a front page announcement on this, but I think that's not possible due to the current situation.

honestly the problem is gaming community has became weak.
I miss the days of "entitled" gamers when we actually had spine. Cheat engine is not comming back and its because we simply didnt cause backlash.
i miss the days where this would result in massive brigade, 4 chan trolling and shitstorm. Id say lets come with plan, lets not fight them in term of law but in term of PR. Lets give it a shot. Cheat engine deserves it.

So to the point. What can we do to have this result in PR damage ? Potentially resulting in them withrawing that Cease and desist ? we need planning,analyssis and other stuff.

I wonder why darkbyte doesnt simply transfer it to someone outside USA ?
they did Cease and desist on the tables not on the forum. and well if different owner decides to add the stuff that was removed ? well not darkbyte problem

im Afraid we are lakmus paper. If we just fold they will come for other cheat sites. Thats why only cheat engine recived this.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEF is not the only site that receives C&D orders. Typically, as long as the infringing content is removed in a timely manner, the notice will be withdrawn and no legal action will be taken.

DB does not want to risk unwanted exposure, so he has opted to move certain things off-site so that he does not have to be responsible for what other people decide to carelessly publish on his site. Unfortunately, he cannot trust all CEF members to be educated and responsible, so this is the better option for him. We should respect his decision.
CaesarCzech
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

++METHOS wrote:
CEF is not the only site that receives C&D orders. Typically, as long as the infringing content is removed in a timely manner, the notice will be withdrawn and no legal action will be taken.

DB does not want to risk unwanted exposure, so he has opted to move certain things off-site so that he does not have to be responsible for what other people decide to carelessly publish on his site. Unfortunately, he cannot trust CEF members to be educated and responsible, so this is the better option for him. We should respect his decision.

They Said and i quote "all of Cheatengine.org" Darkbyte is already violating Cease and desist by allowing us to discuss it. Thing is darkbyte is not responsible for individual actions of CEF members. im sorry but im not the type that just bends. Darkbyte can do his own think to secure his ass(not that i blame him)
but other people may take different actions. and im simply attempting to organize those people. I mean nobody here wants the CEF to just end like this right ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: