Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is better right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rog9001
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: This is better right? Reply with quote

Just asking for fun cuz I think its better to have less symbols but I want someone else's input on this.

Is it better to have more symbols in a AOB:
Code:

aobscan(90 90 BB FC 8B 0A CC)

or is it better to have less symbols:
Code:

aobscan(?? ?0 BB ?? 8? ?A ?C)

Don't forget I am only asking this to see what others will say and why is it better so for example: "ya its better to have less because blah blah blah" or "its better to have more symbols because blah blah blah".
ulysse31
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's better to have as many fixed bytes as you can rely on. If some bytes are likely to change within time (patches) because they are part of jump instructions (etc.) then don't hesitate to replace them with ??.
If they are part of the core code, leave them in as they give your scan more precision and make it less likely to triger false positives.
ParkourPenguin
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends entirely on the significance of the individual byte/nibble you're working with as well as the frequency and extent of updates to the game.

Obviously, if an instruction directly references an address, don't use it even if that address is in the main module: the module isn't guaranteed to be loaded in the same location when you restart the game.
Code:
instruction: mov eax,[0012ABDC]
Real bytes:  A1 DC AB 12 00
Signature:   A1 ?? ?? ?? ??

Beyond that, it's a balancing act between uniqueness and versatility. Excluding bytes from the signature will make it less likely to break on an update to the game, but that will also makes it less unique.

Relative addressing is unlikely to change between instances of the game (so long as the two addresses are within the same memory region), but large displacements could very likely change if the game updates. It's usually safe to include the most significant byte or two in a 32-bit displacement, however.
Code:
instruction: jmp eip+000001E5
Real bytes:  E9 E5 01 00 00
Signature:   E9 ?? ?? 00 00

If you're working with large offsets, you might want to exclude those from the signature. Again, it's usually safe to include the most significant byte or two.
Code:
instruction: mov edi,[ebp-000007D4]
Real bytes:  8B BD 2C F8 FF FF
Signature:   8B BD ?? ?? FF FF

Excluding the ModR/M and SIB bytes (or the lower nibble in some opcodes) might help if your AoB signatures are breaking with every update, but that's starting to get a little pedantic, not to mention you could lose unrelated information.
Code:
instruction: mov edx,[ebx+ecx*4]
Real bytes:  8B 14 8B
Signature:   8B ?? ??  // unfortunately you can't include any nibble due to how they're encoded

instruction: inc eax
Real bytes:  40
Signature:   4?  // doesn't check highest bit of lower nibble, so could be dec instead of inc

Obviously (again), if your script relies on the injection point to be at a certain state (e.g. writing to the ecx register or using a certain offset), it should include that information in the signature as a sanity check.

STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither is better. It depends entirely on the situation, the bytes you're working with.

aobscan(90 90 BB FC 8B 0A CC) is amazeballs if all the other bytes around it are hard-coded addresses or there are no other unique bytes around.

aobscan(?? ?0 BB ?? 8? ?A ?C) is damn awesome if this is a signature for a hard-coded address and allows you to make it work across multiple versions or work upon each restart in a unity game.

For you to be asking this question, i don't think you have quite grasped the concept of AOB yet. These bytes are a dead giveaway of your noobiness -?0 8? ?A ?C - It literally made me chuckle to see them (stupid!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: