Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Bitlocker good enough for encryption?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirito
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Is Bitlocker good enough for encryption? Reply with quote

I just lost my USB flash drive and decided to encrypt every drive (flashdrives and external HDDs) in case of loss or theft. I know that Bitlocker is already included in my Windows installation but I have some questions:

1. People download third-party software instead of the already-included Bitlocker. Is this because Bitlocker is "weaker", easily cracked, or have backdoors?
2. How long should the password be to make decryption time like 100+ years?
3. Is this combination satisfactory? - lowercase alpha + numbers + symbols
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends on the who. If it's your family, most anything will probably be sufficient. If it's the NSA, probably nothing that is freely available to the public will work.
hhhuut
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueCrypt is good but has some known issues that could lead to containers being cracked (although the effort would still be immense). Especially since its development has stopped at version 7.2a.

There are some successors like VeryCrypt which I'd count as good ...

As to Bitlocker, well, the encryption may be good, but
1) It's Microsoft, I don't want to know how many planned backdoors there are
2) as an american company, microsoft is bound by law to give an agency (like the NSA) the information they want.
Kirito
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I forgot to mention this, but I intend to encrypt my drives against normal people who know how to decrypt/brute force and highly skilled intelligent people who are actually hackers. I know there are a lot of them out there, LOL.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to hide any soft of information from the government, especially the NSA and I'm fine with that since I don't have any illegal activities.
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think hackers care what's on your hard drive? Are you some important business person? Do you own a massive cooperation? If not there is pretty much 100% guarantee they don't care about you or your drives. And you are not a target of their attacks.
JohnathanSweeney
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what was said, for most people encryption is just overkill. But perhaps you have some sensitive data for work etc...

I recommend VeraCrypt as hhhunt recommended, you can encrypt your entire system, just a disk or a usb stick or even just individual drives. I use it just to encrypt the drive that contains sensitive information for my job.

Also I suggest everyone encrypts their phones, current laws in the USA provide that street cops can look through your phone if it is unencrypted. If it is encrypted they require a search warrant. This'll stop your friendly neighborhood police officer from looking at naked pics of your girlfriend just because you ran a stop sign Razz
zakalla
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've encrypted my USB stick for work with a full phrase in East Asian language, the whole line taken from literature based on a version published about 15+ years ago.

Seems to be working perfectly fine.

atom0s wrote:
Do you really think hackers care what's on your hard drive? Are you some important business person? Do you own a massive cooperation? If not there is pretty much 100% guarantee they don't care about you or your drives. And you are not a target of their attacks.

Well, if I have a USB stick that's filled with personal info - even something that isn't as serious, e.g. photos of my baby girl trying to walk on sand at a beach - in case I lose it by accident, I'd sure as hell hope it was at least encrypted so some fucking pedo won't stumble upon it.

In this day and age I don't think hackers are the only threat really.
hhhuut
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zakalla wrote:
so some fucking pedo won't stumble upon it

And then what? If you didn't embed your full address in the photo you should be fine ...

But of course that's up to you Wink
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zakalla wrote:
Well, if I have a USB stick that's filled with personal info - even something that isn't as serious, e.g. photos of my baby girl trying to walk on sand at a beach - in case I lose it by accident, I'd sure as hell hope it was at least encrypted so some fucking pedo won't stumble upon it.

In this day and age I don't think hackers are the only threat really.
-That sounds overly paranoid. It's no wonder the US is slowly becoming a nanny state like the UK.

When I was a kid, we used to roam freely around the neighborhood, sometimes until dark...now parents are getting arrested for child endangerment and neglect for letting their kids do that.
H4x0rBattie
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not trust to anything that is done by MS. Windows 10 itself is a spyware and they want badly every Win7 user upgrade to it.

TrueCrypt is probably safe. Though there has not been development for a while does not mean it's getting crappy.

To be honest there is something fishy going on there.

Quote:

The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP. Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images. Such integrated support is also available on other platforms (click here for more information). You should migrate any data encrypted by TrueCrypt to encrypted disks or virtual disk images supported on your platform.

I don't believe that. If they would say: MS paid us to stop developing and recommend their product over ours. I would probably believe it.

Use loop-aes on Linux if you're worried about. Always and always Linux beat Windows in terms of security when it comes to things like this.

Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try one of the open source encryption programs like pgp?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: