Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is manjaro linux okay?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdthr
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: is manjaro linux okay? Reply with quote

gonna be trying it as my first linux distro unless someone can argue me out of it and into another.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you looking for in a Linux distro? For being a first timer, going with one that is less known seems odd for someone to do.
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mint is good for beginners.
mdthr
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
What are you looking for in a Linux distro? For being a first timer, going with one that is less known seems odd for someone to do.

it was the only one i could get recommended to me.

advantages of mint over manjaro? anyone used manjaro? can they tell disadvantages to mainstream distros from a quick glance? kde or xfce?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your intentions for using Linux? Do you plan to use it for something specific? Would be easier to recommend you distros based on your intended usage.
mdthr
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
What are your intentions for using Linux? Do you plan to use it for something specific? Would be easier to recommend you distros based on your intended usage.

up-to-date OS. since windows 7 is going out, and windows 10 is spyware
i do gaming but i will keep windows 7 on a partition. i also am a college student. i also enjoy media; programmes, music.
atom0s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are just looking for a daily driver as normal user and are new to Linux, I would suggest:
- Ubuntu
- Mint

If you want a more bare distro that the above are based on, there is:
- Debian

If you want a more enterprise-based distro, and personally my favorite:
- CentOS

Manjaro is based on Arch, whereas things like Ubuntu and Mint are based on Debian. Arch is more or less not aimed at new users as it is super light-weight, comes with a less popular package manager and lacks a lot of things from the get-go that other distros will have by default. Being a new-to-Linux user, I wouldn't suggest going anything Arch based because of things like that.

I'd recommend you stick with something Debian based to start with to get familiar with things and have a more common and popular workspace to deal with. You'll also have a lot easier time getting help with a Debian based distro as it is a much more popular used base.

++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also heard great things about CentOS. I've yet to check it out, though.
mdthr
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phoronix i think it was compared multiple versions of linux together. manjaro beat mint almost every time. beat ubuntu a few times too.
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatsage wrote:
phoronix i think it was compared multiple versions of linux together. manjaro beat mint almost every time. beat ubuntu a few times too.

Here is where you are going to have to start drawing the line in terms of listening to others opinions and such. Linux is an OS that has a large base of fanboys that will fight to the death that 'X' flavor of Linux is the best. Review sites like 'Phoronix' are no different claiming which version they claim is the best / better. If you ask any person that is using Linux as a daily OS, they are going to tell you that the flavor they use is the best.

In the long run, you need to just play around with things and find what you enjoy the most. The list I gave above was a starting point to get used to Linux at an easier pace. Most Linux flavors are going to be based on another. Debian is a very popular base that many flavors use, which most of the ones you were interested in use. Start there and see how you like it. Then play with other flavors as time goes on and see which you prefer.

mdthr
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
greatsage wrote:

Here is where you are going to have to start drawing the line in terms of listening to others opinions and such. Linux is an OS that has a large base of fanboys that will fight to the death that 'X' flavor of Linux is the best. Review sites like 'Phoronix' are no different claiming which version they claim is the best / better. If you ask any person that is using Linux as a daily OS, they are going to tell you that the flavor they use is the best.

In the long run, you need to just play around with things and find what you enjoy the most. The list I gave above was a starting point to get used to Linux at an easier pace. Most Linux flavors are going to be based on another. Debian is a very popular base that many flavors use, which most of the ones you were interested in use. Start there and see how you like it. Then play with other flavors as time goes on and see which you prefer.

well loading time and benchmark scores aren't really opinion based...
++METHOS
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So go use manjaro. Very Happy

I agree with atom0s; at the end of the day, find something that you like based on your needs and your preferences. Just try them out and make your own comparisons...or...follow the advice of someone else.

As far as Mint goes, I only suggested it because it's good for beginners. It has a user-friendly, familiar GUI, a long history of development, a large user-base with support forum et al. But the same can be said about other distros, really.

Regardless of distro, be prepared to have to learn things.
atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatsage wrote:
atom0s wrote:
greatsage wrote:

well loading time and benchmark scores aren't really opinion based...

Basing the flavor of Linux you use on its load time is ridiculous... If you are going to follow information like that, then there is not much anyone else can do here to help you make a decision.
If you want to follow non-sense stats like that, go for it.

In that mind set you should be using Windows 10. It loads a lot faster than Windows 7.

STN
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

Mint.

I hate linux, i had to install and setup a server on an un-managed vps and even with tutorials, installing ubuntu was a pain. CentOS is even worse. But if Mint was an option, i'd have a lot easier time since it is very windows like and doesn't require you to type at a command prompt like its the old ages and command line is your only option to communicate with a computer. So definitely Mint and if there was an option for a more modern user-friendly OS then i'd recommend that. Why would you want to make yourself susceptible to carpal tunnel syndrome typing all day to get the most basic shit done.

I have windows 10 with all the usage data/updates enabled, i don't mind MS syping on me. Hey, Google does it and there is no way i can even stop them from doing that (i use spydroid on my cell) why the hell not MS ?. Win 10 is pretty nice compared to the crap win8 was.

mdthr
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have installed manjaro. it works well. however the boot manager does not offer my windows 7 partition. could use help, made a separate topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: