Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plagiarism and the internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitIer
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Plagiarism and the internet Reply with quote

I've recently begun to migrate my drawings and artwork over to the internet

The site recommended to me was DeviantArt

Of course, this does bring me to an issue, plagiarism. How safe is it to upload your digital artwork on the internet? I don't want people ripping my work off, so that's why I'm wondering.
atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't water mark things in a way that can't be removed, you run the risk of your work being copied / stolen. A small signature in a corner is not going to keep it safe.

If you are looking to sell it, then display it with a watermark over the whole image that makes it useless otherwise. The original copy would be the sold piece in the end while the watermarked piece is just used for show and advertisement.

gogodr
I post too much

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just upload them with the license you want.

1st you have to evaluate this:
Why do you care? Are you making a living or planning to do so with your art, or is it just a hobby?

2nd:
If plagiarism occurred, try to contact the author of the act of plagiarism and demand retribution or any kind of compensation on which both of you settle in good terms

3rd:
If it is really worth your time and money, with the right licence under your publication you can seek legal counseling and recibe compensation for your work.
HitIer
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responses everyone.

Just tried the watermark thing, and the art loses nearly all its value with the watermark on, it's just not the same
gogodr wrote:

Why do you care? Are you making a living or planning to do so with your art, or is it just a hobby?

2nd:
If plagiarism occurred, try to contact the author of the act of plagiarism and demand retribution or any kind of compensation on which both of you settle in good terms

3rd:
If it is really worth your time and money, with the right licence under your publication you can seek legal counseling and recibe compensation for your work.

I'm all for non-commercial use, but it's really hard to enforce that, right? How do you know people aren't selling your art to other people conspicuously? I suppose much of this worry has to do with my mental health diagnoses

Nice signature by the way!! ☺☺☺

t328163 wrote:
Your username derives from the fact that this site cannot format special characters lol.

t328163 wrote:

lmfao, on reddit i'd get banned
atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

` wrote:

Just tried the watermark thing, and the art loses nearly all its value with the watermark on, it's just not the same
gogodr wrote:

2nd:

3rd:

I'm all for non-commercial use, but it's really hard to enforce that, right? How do you know people aren't selling your art to other people conspicuously? I suppose much of this worry has to do with my mental health diagnoses

The watermark is for advertisement of your work. To allow you to show it off, while retaining ownership and rights to it. Something like this:
https://www.uconomix.com/Products/uMark/images/watermark-tilling.jpg

It allows you to advertise the piece of work, perhaps if you are looking to sell it, while preventing people from just copying it and reselling it. Non-solid color watermarks are much harder to remove and keep your work safer as well.

It is not intended as a method of distributing your stuff though. If you want people to have the non-watermarked copy, then you would give them that version after they buy it.

Up2Admin
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watermarks also don't need to be super visible, just enough to know they're there.

Here's another example of one.
http://img15.deviantart.net/91fc/i/2010/068/9/5/a_trio_of_godzillas_by_kaijusamurai.jpg

It also helps if you're only putting relatively small versions of your art online, that way people can't make high-quality prints and stuff.

I post too much

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

` wrote:

gogodr wrote:

2nd:

3rd:

My stance on that is that if they could sell it and you couldn't, the one doing something wrong is yourself.
HitIer
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys help me understand copyright?

From what I know, in the US, your work is copyright protected and you have rights to it from the moment it is created.

I'm not sure if it is the same here in Canada, and I'm wondering if that still applies on the internet?

Edit:

Verified. Yes, the same legal rights apply, though they are much harder to enforce.

t328163 wrote:
Your username derives from the fact that this site cannot format special characters lol.

t328163 wrote:

lmfao, on reddit i'd get banned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Art All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: