Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Laptop running really hot (over 100 C)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adnihil
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Laptop running really hot (over 100 C) Reply with quote

According to Speccy, my laptop's processor and motherboard go up to 101 C when I'm playing games (probably even more though but I guess that's as high as it can be read). I already cleaned out all the dust, and made sure the cooler was working properly and locked tightly in place, but this didn't seem to do anything.

Yesterday I bought a laptop cooling pad that seemed to work at first, keeping the temperature down to 70 C (which is still way hotter than it's supposed to get), but it occasionally goes up to 100 C - 101 C for a short amount of time, or stays around 85 C for a longer amount of time.

What could be causing this heat? I figured I could try to apply new cooling paste but I've never done this before and I'd really like to avoid having to touch my CPU at all, so I'd like to explore any other possible solutions first.
hhhuut
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What CPU model do you have and what are you doing on your laptop that causes the CPU to get that high?
Adnihil
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an Intel i7-3630QM (not overclocked) at 2.40 GHz, which has an integrated GPU.

The game I'm playing is Blade & Soul. Right now it is running in the background and my CPU is at ~65 C, but once I start doing stuff in it like fighting the temperature quickly rises.
hhhuut
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I'd gues your temperature sensor is somehow broken, because usually the CPU get's restricts some functions when the temperature rises too high ...
Adnihil
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought there could be a problem with the sensor too, since the temperature seems to rise and fall so quickly, but I'm not sure about this since the laptop does feel hot (even with the cooling pad) and if I don't use the cooling pad, it will automatically cut the power after a while to protect it from overheating (though this could also be caused by the faulty sensor).

I think I have an other thermometer lying around here somewhere though, I'm gonna try and find it to see what it says.
ulysse31
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then that sounds like a legit sensor, maybe you should confirm with some benchmark test like prime95 under coreTemp, have you noticed unexpected sound from your fan ? you probably should test your fan speed as well.

Blade and soul is an old game, it shouldn't burn your proc, what the proc usage when you get this temperature (under blade & soul, during fights) ?
greatsage
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you apply cooling paste?

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Adnihil
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Prime95 but I'm not quite sure what to do with it...
I can feel the air coming out of my laptop from quite far away so I don't think it's an issue with my cooler.

Turns out it gets hottest not when fighting, but when loading maps. When loading maps my CPU temp goes to 100 and so does its usage. When fighting the usage stays around 15% and the temperature scales between 75 and 85 degrees, but I don't get more than 15 fps even on the lowest settings (which is probably the CPU protecting itself from overheating?).

I figured the issue might have been related to the game so I tried playing Borderlands 2 but the temperature went up to in the 90's before I even started playing.

Guess I should go buy me some thermal paste and an anti-static wristband, then. Thanks for the help.
SF
I'm a spammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overclocked laptop processor with the tinnnnnyyyyy fans they have and the little heatsinks? with the integrated GPU? I'd say you're just overloading it.

What are your idle temps with no games or demanding apps running?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1689858/3630qm-temperatures.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another tool you can use to compare readouts:
https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

How old is the laptop? If its getting that hot, you may need to take it apart and do some cleanup on the inside. The heatsinks/fans may have dirt/dust buildup that needs to be cleaned out along with any redirection plates that could be blocking airflow due to being dirty.

Also check and make sure the fans are not dead and spinning properly.

H4x0rBattie
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't cleaned it up properly. I know it for sure after fixing and cleaning an old laptops as daily job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: