Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KB3035583 - wtf??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: KB3035583 - wtf?? Reply with quote

MS pushed an update today that has me scratching my head. When you click the "more information" link, you get a page that's about as vague as can be. When this happens, I'm always inclined to think it's an update designed to benefit Microsoft, not me. Earlier today, the more info link didn't even work. The liberties software vendors take really piss me off, especially when their actions are disguised in the form of security updates or legalese. I kinda' miss the old DOS days when you knew exactly what was running at all times. What do you guys think?

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

atom0s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

Quote:
This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

Seems like more then enough info.

justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
Quote:
Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

Quote:
This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

Seems like more then enough info.

Not to me. Does it notify me, or notify them? Does it pop up system-modal flashing text to alert me that Windows 10 is now on sale? Will I miss important alerts if I don't update? If updates to Windows Update are normally "important", why is this one marked "optional?" The vague description isn't enough for a home user, let alone someone who needs to maintain the health of one or more business systems. Since Windows is installed /everywhere/, it's reasonable to expect Microsoft to give sufficient information to make informed choices - and they've failed.

atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting nitt-picky like that can be done for every update from anything to be honest..
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atom0s wrote:
Getting nitt-picky like that can be done for every update from anything to be honest..

I don't think so. For security updates, you can generally find technical details including everything but sample exploit code. Maybe that's a requirement tied to getting a CERT code number - not sure, but even an innocuous patch can wreak havoc on a system. It's, again, fair to expect a patch - especially one to a critical system such as the very mechanism that delivers patches - to have a little detail. For comparison, this is how the KB for last non-security patch KB looked; please note that you can read the article and make an informed decision about whether or not the patch is useful to you and/or predict the damage mitigation necessary for unpatched systems. It doesn't simply say, "changes the way some documents print." Because that wouldn't be good enough.

You're satisfied - I'm sure there are tons of people that are content to blindly apply every patch that comes down the line, and that's not going to change. That's no excuse for short-changing professionals and people who depend on their computers, though. The apathy is something I understand, but I'm baffled that anyone would attempt to defend the situation - especially when you don't know any more about the nature of the patch than I do.

He's really excited, but he has no idea why we're here...

atom0s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are just over-reacting, and the fact that you are turning this into a random spam type topic with useless images is kind of not helping your defense either.

As for the whole 'blindly following' non-sense, please give it a rest..

I'm done responding to this either way.

alanze
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how nowadays big companies work, they collect data and collect and collect.. and builds your psychological profile ready to use for marketing purposes.
You buy a nokia-lumia (for example) and you're happy, you think it's yours and you are in control, but No, it's Not your phone, they have control over it, they now can collect even more data about you, can listen to you or even watch you. Sad that we become 'hybrids' and 'trash buyers' of big companies.
Don't apply patches and updates just because you have them on the list,
especially if your system is stable or if you don't know what is fixed,
I heard people telling that "my system was ok before applying the hotfix..."
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And today, we have the rerelease of kb2952664. This patch has been pushed before, and there are horror stories from all over the Internet that it causes hard lockups on many machine configurations. Microsoft is well-aware of the issue, which is why they keep yanking and republishing the patch. The KB article is absolutely devoid of useful information (please don't quote it back to me again, Wiccan, I'm convinced you don't have a clue).

Woody Leonard at InfoWorld wrote:

KB 2952664 for Windows 7, originally released Oct 14, 2014, and now re-released for at least the eighth time, is billed as a "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7." Microsoft's minimalist KB article is now up to version 7. As I mentioned on Oct 15, 2014, the patch had been released at least seven times at that point, on April 16, April 22, May 13, June 10, July 8, Aug. 12, and Oct. 14, 2014. This makes number eight (I think). Last October, here's what I said:
Quote:
Back in April, I speculated that KB 2952664 was a patch for Win7 to make it easier to perform in-place upgrades to Windows 8.1. Now it's starting to look like the patch may also ease the transition to Windows 10. Heaven only knows, your speculation is as good as mine.

There was a bloody history of attempts to install the previous versions of the patches. Microsoft still hasn't released any information about the patch that I can find.

It's so freaking ridiculous that this "optional" patch has been revised more than half a dozen times due to problems and the KB article still doesn't provide even the most basic background information.

alanze
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why should they provide? If they do you probably won't install the patch
and if you don't install the patch you will have less problems
and if you have less problems they will have less money.
tfigment
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one sympathize with justa_dude.

For a number of years I have had very few problems with the Windows patches but I do hate that there is this fine line between what is good for them and what is good for me. I did effectively give up on trying to audit each patch because there are just too many and I just don't have the time.

Anyway my infrastructure team coerced me to bring all of my servers up to the latest patch level and damned if one of those buggers didn't break fonts left and right to the point that I have trouble reading text. Its a known issue and supposedly there is a patch but I get little downtime as my stuff is 24x7 and I dont want to do this just to fix Courier New. Oh and I'm sure that was to fix the bugs due to fonts running in the kernel for performance but are exploitable enough to get root access. Fun. Reading the kb article didn't say much of anything.

Its enough to push me back to linux but of course thirdparty software we use isn't available on those platforms and I'll be damned if I want to deal with panics and halts and upstart and systemd and rpms again.
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, today it tried to push KB3035583 - a patch that allows Windows Update to constantly nag users running Windows 7 or 8 into upgrading to Windows 10. The notes describe it only as, "This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user."

Last week, they pushed an update that added the keylogger from Win10 Preview to Win 7 and Win 8. The patch notes only indicated that it was a performance analysis tool or some such.

Fucking Microsoft has gone right down the tubes.

RecycledTwice
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: It's an update to windows 10 Reply with quote

there is like 2 or 3 of these that are just to force you into upgrading to windows 10

If you are using Windows 7, locate the following updates:
3035583, 2952664, 3021917

If you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates:
3035583, 2976978

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: