Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help/suggestions needed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetfish
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Help/suggestions needed! Reply with quote

Hello!

I am 100% new to this & even though I personally dont cheat in games, I really do enjoy trying to make working cheats/trainers. It almost feels like a game in itself. Detective-work sort of stuff Wink I started learning 2 days ago.

I understand how to find pointers but I am limited to finding them through the pointer scan. After I have found one I check the memory of the adress that it points to & then data dissect it (with the last offset in the pointer subtracted) & try to find other values within the same area of the initial value I found. When I've found other values I write down their offsets and simply copy the initial pointer with the last offset replaced with the offsets I managed to find. I have moderate luck in doing this. I managed to find the health of all my characters in Wasteland 2 like this, but I know that I am probably doing something wrong or making it harder than it should be.

When searching for pointers in CE through the normal search scan I should always try to find the green (static) ones, right? And they should always be the same type as my initial value? Sometimes I've followed pointers back until I found no results at all on 4K but there would be some results on byte for example. Not really sure what I am doing wrong there but I am betting that it's got something to do with my lack of ASM knowledge.

It's quite confusing at times. I have tried tracking values back to their pointers by searching for the adress shown in the "What access this" and then adding the results with the offsets subtracted. I do find some pointers but they are never static, so I have to search back to the pointer that points to that pointer and so on until I pretty much run into a dead end every time. Maybe I am just trying this on too modern games for my "skill" level.

I have done the CE tutorial, read a lot of tutorials on this site as well as browsed through many videos on youtube. The main problem I have with the videos on youtube is that most of them do not contain any narration what so ever. Instead there's loud music & somebody showing text documents. It's frustrating to wait for these people to write out whatever they want to explain on a document rather than just say it into a microphone. There's some good ones but most of them are either many years old or dont explain why or how they are doing certain things the way they do.

Any suggestions on good tutorials I should read/watch? Anything I should look at a bit harder? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gamer X
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend , latest tutorial edited by YoungDragon will help you . In this fourm only . Have a look .
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're successful using the pointer scanner, that's good enough IMHO. There is no advantage to finding the pointer chains manually, as the pointer scanner will find every valid pointer chain.

The next conceptual skill leap will not come from manual scanning, but will be in making code injections to intercept addresses. This is an improvement over pointer chains because it is more resilient to patches and is dramatically faster to implement (maybe a minute to write the injection, no scanning needed).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: