Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pointer the same as address?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inzann
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Pointer the same as address? Reply with quote

So it has been some time since I used cheat engine and I forgot how to properly find pointers. Anyways, let me explain my steps and you tell me what I do wrong.

First I scan the address for an inventory slot in a game where I set a value to anything I want, all works good when testing if I found the right address. The address in this case was 16BE9B28.

Next I do the "see what writes to this address" and I get 1 result.
>>004EBEF1 - add [ebx],eax

So I look up the value of ebx which in this case is 16BE9B28 same as the original address that I found. ALso the information window says that the value of the pointer to find this address is probably 16BE9B28.

So I have no idea what to do next. The pointer address can't possibly be 16BE9B28 same as the address I find when first searching, restarting the game proves that its not because it no longer works. Anyone care to explain what I am missing? Shocked
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The pointer address can't possibly be 16BE9B28 same as the address I find when first searching, restarting the game proves that its not because it no longer works. Anyone care to explain what I am missing?

You're correct that the pointer ADDRESS can't be the same. But you are looking for the pointer that has the VALUE 16BE9B28 instead (which can occur 0 to many times. If 0, you have to do some reversing)

Tip, try the tutorial multi level pointer step, it too has an offset of 0

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Inzann
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Quote:
The pointer address can't possibly be 16BE9B28 same as the address I find when first searching, restarting the game proves that its not because it no longer works. Anyone care to explain what I am missing?

You're correct that the pointer ADDRESS can't be the same. But you are looking for the pointer that has the VALUE 16BE9B28 instead (which can occur 0 to many times. If 0, you have to do some reversing)

Tip, try the tutorial multi level pointer step, it too has an offset of 0
Thanks, I will try the multi level pointer tutorial, do you think it is the solution to my problem?

Also while I still have my topic active I have another question. I'm playing a game that is online (regular servers with like 20player count). I'm trying to figure out if its possible to change the players coordinate just on the client side. I know that the player XYZ wont change on the server side of things but I just want to do it on the client side so it should work right?

When I try to find a coordinate, for example X while doing the elimination proccess with next scan, increased,decreased value I always end up with like 20 addresses which I test by freezing them. THen I look ingame if my character is frozen but none of them work, even while frozen the values change when I walk and my character moves as well.

Am I right to assume that its not possible to alter the characters position on the client side as well?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you have a good understanding of the distinction between a pointeraddress and a pointervalue

As for the character position it could be that the userinterface is only updated after receiving the position from the server and afterwards it's not used anymore till next update
So try finding where the value gets written and then change that code
And it's also possible you found the wrong coordinate. Perhaps it's an inverse coordinate system and you only found a temporary X coordinate (e.g when you think it increased, it actually decreased)

Inzann
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I got some news, I did the multipointer tutorial and after some issues I got through with it. But I feel I still can't apply my knowledge to the game I'm trying to find a pointer for.

On the multi pointer tutorial step I did this.

1. Find address.
2. Find what writes to it. (get something like eax+18 ) where eax is 123456.
3. I search in for EAX in hex and find the address.
4. Add the found address with the offset +18 and I have the first pointer.
5. Repeat until I reach the end (static address).

With the game I'm trying it goes like this.

1. Find address. (it is 16DB7D0C)
2. Find what writes to it (get >> 004E6F54 - mov [eax],00000000) I look at the bottom and EAX = 16DB7D0C
3. So naturally I search for 16DB7D0C as HEX but it gives me nothing. I'm not sure how to proceed. You said something about reverse engineering?

I also am pretty confident I got the right coordinates. I watched this guys video and at the linked time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKy3nta-94&feature=player_detailpage#t=576

he says that if its not freezable it means its not writable. Is that so? If that is the case then how do I write to that address?
Inzann
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Very Happy
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 2 use what accesses

And if you still don't find it see if you can figure out how the register gets that value(could be a calculation in front)

Also, if an address is not freezable it means it's only useful to read out. You can't write to it as that won't have any effect anyhow(except give you a seizure if you teleport constantly between the correct and frozen location)

Quote:
If that is the case then how do I write to that address?

You don't. You have to find another address as the one you found is for display purposes only
If it's an online game there is a chance there is no real address holding your position

Inzann
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
For 2 use what accesses

And if you still don't find it see if you can figure out how the register gets that value(could be a calculation in front)

Also, if an address is not freezable it means it's only useful to read out. You can't write to it as that won't have any effect anyhow(except give you a seizure if you teleport constantly between the correct and frozen location)

Quote:
If that is the case then how do I write to that address?

You don't. You have to find another address as the one you found is for display purposes only
If it's an online game there is a chance there is no real address holding your position

Yeah you were right. When I froze a certain coordinate address my character started teleporting/seizuring, like there was a mirrored version of him on the frozen location. Guessing that wont work.

About 2, I did do the what accesses instead of writes and it gave me nothing useful to go after. So it must be calculated in front like you said, is there any tutorial for this more advanced problems? I hate to keep bothering everyone with my posts. Mad
Inzann
Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump?
robez95
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I Seem to be having the same issue except It is with my HP and on a single player game
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: