Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to look for in Lua functions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zilarrezko
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: What to look for in Lua functions? Reply with quote

So, this is my first post here. I'm going to start with an introduction of my limited abilities. So if you don't want to read this, than skip this paragraph... I've programmed for a while now, I consider myself a mid intermediate to late intermediate coder in Lua. I help people out in Löve2D on their forums on game concepts and data structures. I've learned a bit of assembly from a man named jamie king on youtube. Then found that his tutorials won't really help me when looking at disassembled code in the disassembler (I've used cheat engine here and there for simple value changes.) So I'm reading up in the tutorial and writing stuff down from the tutorial in cheat engine (the text one on ASM and hexing theory). I haven't gotten through it all, but it doesn't seem to help very much, when looking at the intimidating disassembler and trying to make connections in memory addresses and the like. So I consider myself an early beginner in ASM as well as using cheat engine. So I don't know much, just telling you this before you guys get crazy on me with terms and all that, I know how it was when I started Lua (my first language).

Anyway, on to my question. So if you read that paragraph you'd know I somewhat make games (rather I try and never finish). So What a great way to test my cheat engine skills than on my own games! Except for how different Lua and Löve2D store their stuff on low-level languages like ASM. For example how every value is stored as a double, and every function is stored as a string (and strings are just strings). I want to know how to dissect a function's code in assembly, and change it to do what I want. General manipulation.

In a more detailed question. How can I recognize and manipulate a Lua function's code by searching the functions name as a string? (maybe just to clear it up, I know how to search for string, and I can look at the disassembler. But I'm puzzled as what's going on. Where does the function start? end? translate what this part is doing in ASM vs Lua)

I would post a file with a sample GUI test I've been doing in Löve2D, but it seems the forum is saying that I would get banned for uploading a .love or a .zip as they are not allowed.

Ah and if it does help, I believe Löve2D uses LuaJIT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: