Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How often do you clean your GPU?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: How often do you clean your GPU? Reply with quote

This is perhaps the first time I've had a card for more than a couple of years since the 1990s, and the volume of my GPU fan was really annoying me. It must've slowly become more noisy with time because I had to watch some youtube videos to hear the normal volume before I became certain that something was wrong. So, I took it out and used a lot of breath and cotton swabs to try to clean it out. Lo and behold, it's now dramatically quieter. It's really quite amazing how much better it's moving air - the ambient room temperature rises a lot more while gaming than before, 'though the machine is again almost whisper silent. I wish I would've thought to check sooner, but it wasn't something I expected - I don't have pets and my case has air filters. Is this a normal maintenance routine for you guys, too?
br0l0ck
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually dust my PC once or twice a year
Unless you have positive air pressure in your case, dust will easily enter it, so make sure to dust it every so often, even if you have filters, and clean the filters as well

Most dust in the air is dead skin cells, so having pets doesn't really matter
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brolock wrote:
I usually dust my PC once or twice a year
Unless you have positive air pressure in your case, dust will easily enter it, so make sure to dust it every so often, even if you have filters, and clean the filters as well

Most dust in the air is dead skin cells, so having pets doesn't really matter

Cool, thank you for the tips. I wonder if I should attempt to do the same for my laptop.

Conker
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean my desktop out every 2 weeks or so, but as for laptops its a few months as they are so much harder to open and put back together.
atom0s

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my desktop typically once a month based on a visual assessment of how bad it is getting inside. Some months are better than others that don't really need a cleaning. Pets and such cause a lot of dirt/dander/dust so usually once a month is more than enough for my needs.
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the only slob, haha. Honestly, I've never done it before on any system unless I was doing major upgrades like swapping out main boards. It sure has made a difference, though.
slompochomp
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to do a complete system disassemble and clean about every 4 to 6 months depending how much dust has collected within
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
This weekend, the fan on my GPU spontaneously spun up to 100%. The system wasn't even under load at the time. After a reboot, the noise persisted. The temperatures were all fine, and although I could change fan speeds via software and see "perceived" RPM changes the fan's incessant whine persisted. I'm wondering, now, if my noise issues a couple of months ago were a the cause of or the result of the issue that caused the fans to become stuck at 100%.

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be the fans are breaking down now.
e.g I've had 2 gigabyte gtc 580 OC's and neither of them lasted longer than a year before the fans died or just plainly fell off

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I didn't lost my 5 year warranty ony radeon 7770, then I wouldn't clean dust from my GPU since I would get new GPU if that one stopped working. It says on the package that it is "dust free GPU" which isn't true.
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
could be the fans are breaking down now.
e.g I've had 2 gigabyte gtc 580 OC's and neither of them lasted longer than a year before the fans died or just plainly fell off

Yeah, could be. I used to have fans go out a lot more often, back when sleeved bearings were more popular. I've never had this happen before, though. I could understand (and might've attempted a repair) if there were some sort of resistor that attenuated the fan speed, but I thought they were all pulse width modulated nowadays.

Mozilla Firefox
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had the chance to look more closely, but what I do know is that there are cobwebs everywhere!
mdthr
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

never, i use a laptop
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
imposible
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once cleaned a geforce 8800GT radiator. I was forced to remove the contact surface between the radiator and chip and memories. So I cleaned them, and applied the best thermal paste I could get, after cleaning the radiator.

Yet it never worked well again. It crashed frequently after the cleaning, and even when I tried to fix the thermal paste, it never worked well again.

I was forced to buy a new card, and now I'm scared of cleaning my new GPU. I spent a year savings on it.

All GPU radiator designs are wrongly engineered. It should be possible to clean them without retiring the radiator, or at least changing the fan without removing the radiator, like CPU fans.

About pets, yes, they can clog radiators, depending of the pet.
My father had a german shepherd dog, and his hair clogged his CPU, power source, and all the fans every 3 months from spring to autumn.
Each time I cleaned it, I took away blankets of dog hair.
LordBloodySoul
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Clean the PC Reply with quote

I clean mine at least once every end of a season. That spares me much trouble that others get with dusty CPU's

Data File sorting and defragmintation are done at the end of every month just to make sure.

I am a person who needs to do that, since my room often gets filled with remains of chalk, coal and paint particles.

Trust me, an air filter colored in green, blue and red is a sight to behold, as rare as it comes xD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: