Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet? Reply with quote

I just played Skyrim on an ancient laptop in high resolution and with all the settings maxed out, all over a slowish 802.11g network. It's amazing. I've never been a big Steam fan, but the new game streaming features are absolutely amazing. The 360 pad works flawlessly, including rumble, and everything seemed to run very smoothly. It was a heck of a lot better than I expected for a first revision and a casual observer wouldn't be able to tell that anything out of the ordinary was going on. I wasn't particularly excited about "Steam Machines" or whatever they're calling their new initiative before, but now I can't wait until $40 set-top streamers and android apps come out.
paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet? Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:
I just played Skyrim on an ancient laptop in high resolution and with all the settings maxed out, all over a slowish 802.11g network. It's amazing. I've never been a big Steam fan, but the new game streaming features are absolutely amazing. The 360 pad works flawlessly, including rumble, and everything seemed to run very smoothly. It was a heck of a lot better than I expected for a first revision and a casual observer wouldn't be able to tell that anything out of the ordinary was going on. I wasn't particularly excited about "Steam Machines" or whatever they're calling their new initiative before, but now I can't wait until $40 set-top streamers and android apps come out.

Why wouzld you even want Windows. Games run better on Linux.
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet? Reply with quote

pauw wrote:

All three of the supported games? And using Wine is as often as not a poor compromise (and don't even get me started on the dirty, rotten, THIEVES at Transgaming). Even when iD and Epic supported Linux in their engines (back in the UT, Soldier of Fortune, Quake 3 days), the window managers of the time didn't cooperate very well with fullscreen apps or yielding mouse control. Honestly, only a fanatic zealot would proclaim that games run better on Linux than Windows (no offense, mate). Game streaming from Windows is the best possible thing that could happen right now for Linux gaming.

paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet? Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:
pauw wrote:

All three of the supported games? And using Wine is as often as not a poor compromise (and don't even get me started on the dirty, rotten, THIEVES at Transgaming). Even when iD and Epic supported Linux in their engines (back in the UT, Soldier of Fortune, Quake 3 days), the window managers of the time didn't cooperate very well with fullscreen apps or yielding mouse control. Honestly, only a fanatic zealot would proclaim that games run better on Linux than Windows (no offense, mate). Game streaming from Windows is the best possible thing that could happen right now for Linux gaming.

Unreal and Cryengine is ported to Linux, and many other small engines (of course here is Unity). That's why most of the new releases on steam have Linux ports.
justa_dude
Grandmaster Cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet? Reply with quote

pauw wrote:
justa_dude wrote:
pauw wrote:
All three of the supported games?

Unreal and Cryengine is ported to Linux, and many other small engines (of course here is Unity). That's why most of the new releases on steam have Linux ports.

Not to belabor the point, but there are few (none?) current AAA games that run natively on Linux. Yes, Epic's Unreal engine supports Linux. But Batman, Bioshock, X-Com, and nearly all the other AAA games do not. Just as Titanfall (which uses Valve's own Source engine) doesn't support Linux. This situation may change someday, but right now Valve's game streaming has got to be the best chance Linux has.

I've been trying out other titles, and I'm still amazed. Playing maxed out AC4:Black Flag on a crusty old AMD Turion laptop is freaking amazing.

paupav
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet? Reply with quote

justa_dude wrote:
pauw wrote:
justa_dude wrote:
pauw wrote:
All three of the supported games?

Not to belabor the point, but there are few (none?) current AAA games that run natively on Linux. Yes, Epic's Unreal engine supports Linux. But Batman, Bioshock, X-Com, and nearly all the other AAA games do not. Just as Titanfall (which uses Valve's own Source engine) doesn't support Linux. This situation may change someday, but right now Valve's game streaming has got to be the best chance Linux has.

I've been trying out other titles, and I'm still amazed. Playing maxed out AC4:Black Flag on a crusty old AMD Turion laptop is freaking amazing.

Wasteland, The Witcher, and XCOM is still in development (it is running, just not stable).
Conker
Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: You guys tried Steam's game streaming yet? Reply with quote

pauw wrote:
justa_dude wrote:

Easier to instal games on windows than lynix. Not everything is made with lynix in mind, windows tends to be more useable due to the mass amounts of games that are made for/with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Computer Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: