Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewing the actions of application with cheat engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwnsaj
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Viewing the actions of application with cheat engine. Reply with quote

Hello. I've just started using cheat engine not long ago and made my first few successful cheats in games. I then used it to also fool around with my Matlab and Simulink and saw that variables can be accessed and changed with no difficulties (not much surprise to most, I guess).

I am now wondering if it would be possible to use cheat engine to actually see how my mathematical/simulation software is doing the mathematics/simulations it is doing. So my question I guess would be:
is it possible to somehow get cheatengine to monitor what a program is doing on the fly, and maybe, present a log of actions performed?
DaSpamer
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the "Break and trace instruction" command?
My CETrainer will generate it for you in seconds, so you won't get lazy! Very Happy

http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=564919
bwnsaj
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked up break and trace function, but it seems you need to already know which variable the programme is acting upon (at least that's what I understand from the demo I found on youtube. Is it possible to view everything the program is doing?
Because I can't locate variables during a calculation of such a programme...
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with "everything" is that it's too much.
Everything includes the message loop of the main thread, the handling of mouse messages, handling of key presses, and sending them off to their own functions. Timers that constantly run to signal a repaint because the cursor needs to be re-rendered because it's blinking, handling of the change in time, executing code that changes the mouse cursor from a pointer to a resize icon, because the mouse passed over a resizer object, etc...

If your system is capable of running dbvm you could try ultimap though.
You can tell it when the specific code has been executed and when it hasn't. That way to can slowly pinpoint only the code that gets executed when the specific thing you're looking for is executed.
You will most likely still find some useless stuff like handling the code when the mouse is in a specific position on the screen, but at least it's a managable amount of code then. From that point on, you can debug and see what exactly happens then

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
bwnsaj
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I have no sense of how much this everything of a certain programme task was supposed to be. I'd like to view the operations performed by my software (say MATLAB) once I used a certain function (say d2c() or anything else). I think I could somehow reduce my search only to the operations f interest since I could then search which memory address has the value that corresponds to the output of the function..just thinking out loud.

Now, Cheatengine was really easy to start using thanks to the awesome tutorial....Sorry for the noob question but, uhm, how do I use this dbvm and where do I download it?

(I have intel processors both at home and at work so I think it's my PC is compatible)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: