Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pointer from value (or something like that)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonzay0
Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: pointer from value (or something like that) Reply with quote

Hi,

I was searching the forum but couldn't find something that will address the issue I'm having.

I found a static address that it's value is changing when I move over my in game inventory.
The thing is that the value of that address is not the address I need but it is the only thing that changes correctly when moving over different items in the inventory.

I was wondering how can I make a use of it (if I can). How can I take the value got from that address and make it so that it will help me get the wanted address (the real address of the current selected item in the inventory).

If there is a guide/tutorial for something like that and I missed it, please let me know, or if any more details needed I'll provide them as well.

Thanks in advance!
Pokiaka
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you'll find a tutorial or a guide.

The relationship with the address you've found and the address of the item is indeed there, but it's not something global across games.
Each game has its own way of setting up that relationship.

If you really want to do that, you can use OllyDbg to infer the relationship, but I'm not sure if the effort would worth it.

By the way, if you want to edit items, I usually prefer to edit the actual savefiles.
It's much easier to find an object in a 2,000 bytes file than 2,000,000 bytes file along with billions of different addresses from your memory.

Good luck, friend! Wink
bonzay0
Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The address I found holds a offset for items in the inventory, I have found the start address for the inventory but I do not know how to use the value from the "offset address" as offset of the "inventory start address".

If there is a way to do that it will really help me out.

Thanks again.
Pokiaka
Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonzay0 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

The address I found holds a offset for items in the inventory, I have found the start address for the inventory but I do not know how to use the value from the "offset address" as offset of the "inventory start address".

If there is a way to do that it will really help me out.

Thanks again.

I'm pretty sure Cheat Engine has some kind of support to give you offset to one address but I'm not sure where (the option in the context menu changes all of the addresses in your table and can ruin it).

You can probably just use Windows calculator.
Open the calculator, press Alt + 3, go to Hex mode (at the top left), enter the starting address, then add the offset.

Pretty simple ^^.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: