Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I convert a floating point number to bytes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flarn2006
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: How do I convert a floating point number to bytes? Reply with quote

So I'm writing a script that needs to store values to be written at a later time, but these values can be in either float or int format, as it's not always certain which type the game is expecting. Rather than use a variable to keep track of whether to use writeFloat or writeInteger, I'd like to just store the floating-point bytes in the variable as an integer that can be written using writeInteger. Without writing the value to memory using writeFloat and then reading it back using readInteger (since this needlessly uses four bytes of the game's memory) I'd like to do this entirely in the Lua script. What function can I use that will turn, say, 1, into 1,065,353,216 (0x3F800000)? Or 0.5 into 1,056,964,608 (0x3F000000)?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

writeFloat(address, 1) will write 0x3f800000 to the given address

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
flarn2006
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm aware of that. What I'm asking is how to do that without writing it to an address first. In case I need to store the value in a Lua variable for later.

Something that does what this C function would do:
Code:
int encodeFloatToInt(float value)
{
    return *(int*)&value;
}
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to lua there is no difference if it's an integer or float, it's always a double to lua

If you only need to store and write at a later time and don't have to look at the value in an interpreted way, then just use readInteger/writeInteger without any conversion, as integers can be written without loss of information

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
flarn2006
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'd like to do, but first I have to encode the number as a float. Let's say I want to write a function that reads a string with a number in it and writes that number to memory. If the string begins with "0x", it will write it as an integer. Otherwise it will write it as a float. That's easy enough; just use writeInteger or writeFloat depending on whether or not it begins with "0x". But what if I don't want to write it immediately, but rather store it in a table of values to be written later? I could store a boolean value as well that says whether to use writeFloat or writeInteger, but it would make a lot more sense to just store the float value as a value that can be written using writeInteger, like writeInteger(address, 0x3F800000).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Lua Scripting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: