Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot freezes @ ClassPNP.sys when using DBVM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source -> DBVM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mute™
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Boot freezes @ ClassPNP.sys when using DBVM Reply with quote

First, specs:
i7 3930k (Stock clocks)
32GB DDR3
VT-D Enabled
Booting off a 120GB SSD

CE 6.2, booting off the VM .img included, dd'd to a USB drive.

So far, DBVM has not been good to me. I'm booting it off USB and after choosing option 0, it starts to boot windows, freezing after roughly 2 seconds.

Rebooted, chose safe mode. Froze at ClassPNP.sys.
Retried, removed the USB drive after windows began booting. Same result.

Rebooted, no DBVM, no driver signing enforced. Launched Cheat-Engine, right clicked the logo and clicked "Your system supports DBVM". Everything froze, except my cursor. 10 seconds later, that stopped and then a BSOD. "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval." Lovely.

Any suggestions? I've done hours worth of searching with no definitive answer.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be an issue with the multicore cpu init. How many processors does your cpu have (including hyperthreaded processors)

Have you tried removing the usb stick before pressing 0?

The usb disk in bios is set as a floppy?

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Mute™
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including hyper-threaded processors, 12 (6 physical, 12 logical). I hadn't removed the USB before pressing 0, I'll edit that in once this render is done and I can reboot. It shows as a USB HDD in the BIOS.

Update: No luck with removing USB before hitting 0. Same problem.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's set as a usb hdd it can happen that it overrides the harddisk order. (since the usb disk gets disk port 0x80)
See if there's a option to emulate it as a floppy disk so it doesn't mess up the disk order

I take it you don't have a serial port (non usb) and a null modem cable ?

When launching using the about screen, did you make sure that there's hardly anything running? (no file transfers, no other virtual machines, no games, no browser, etc..)

Mute™
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe it will let me set what it is. Just shows what the device is in the BIOS settings and the boot options require specifying a plugged in device. I don't have a serial port or null modem cable.

Running:
Radeon Driver

Nothing else in the system tray, fresh boot every time.

Edit: Plugged it into a USB 2.0 port instead of a USB 3.0. Results in showing as a USB floppy drive. Same boot problem though.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, but if sandboxie makes use of virtualization to sandbox processes that could be one cause of the problem. (dbvm does not work with other virtual machines running)

I see you have vmware installed, but I know from experience that just that service is fine, 7.1.4 at least (just don't launch it)

Mute™
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck with SandBoxieService disabled. No sandboxes are regularly running anyway. Oh well. Hopefully a future update will fix it. I don't suppose it's possible to change the core limit? I'm fine recompiling DBVM if needed. Thanks for the help.
SteveAndrew
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, with windows freezing after only 2 seconds... (On my brothers PC win 7 x64 from the vmcd.iso (which Dark Byte uploaded) [mine doesn't have intel VT although its still an intel cpu)

On the win7 boot screen that has the colored parts of the window 'fly' into place... I only get like 1 little red dot, and numlock key doesn't work anymore and after pressing some keys for a couple seconds most of them make a beep sound when pressing them, so I would think its safe to say it froze. I tried waiting a bit but didn't wait too long, as it was actually frozen.

I wanted to try with the bootable USB DBVM I made, but on my brothers computer I can't get any usb drive to boot, it has a listing for 'USB:' in the boot menu (F12 on his) but nothing ever comes up, and it wont let me pick to boot from USB, also doesn't show up in the bios even with the USB plugged in, something sketchy with his, it should be able to boot usb as its fairly new.

For my computer it was the opposite true (although dbvm wont work for it anyway) With the usb I can get the screen to appear where pressing 0 is supposed to load the OS, but on my computer DBVM says my CPU isn't supported. When trying to boot from the CD on mine, it just is a blank screen somehow, which I thought was odd.

Anyway I know both the CD and the two usb sticks I put DBVM work, since the CD works in my brothers and not the USB, and the USB works in mine and not the CD (even though its unsupported anyway). LOL

The whole reason I wanted to get DBVM to work anyway was just so I could try out the Ulti-Map... Scanning for code by whether it executed or not and how many times it executed, it seems like a cool way to find stuff. Is it possible to do that kinda thing without DBVM? Like a DLL that (once injected) monitors all threads (peering into their contexts) and increases a count for each address each time it runs through the code at that address? Or would it be too slow or something that it wouldn't be usable? I've been wanting to try it, but just don't want to waste my time if its gonna be too slow!

Smile

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be possible in 32-bit without dbvm by hooking the contextswitch code in the kernel. (The only reason dbvm is required is because it needs to know when to shut down the tracing and when to resume)
But due to patchguard in 64-bit that's not possible. Blame microsoft for that

It won't be too slow as long as you run the game itself on half or less of your cpu cores so all other cores can parse the data (the game will halt until all the collected data has been parsed, so if the game runs a bit less and the parsers run more you will hardly notice it)

Also, the downloadable dbvm.iso might be outdated. The .img in the ce installer is the most up to date. (you may have to make it an iso manually)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source -> DBVM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: