Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble Using DBVM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source -> DBVM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trm
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Trouble Using DBVM Reply with quote

System Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Biostar T-Power i45 Mobo
8GB DDR2 RAM
W7 x64 Ultimate (clean install)
PS/2 Keyboard
USB Mouse
1x500GB HDD

Settings:
CPU Configuration:
-C1E Support : Disabled
-Hardware Prefetcher : Enabled
-Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch : Enabled
-Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled
-Intel Virtualization Tech : Enabled
-CPU TM Function: Enabled
-Execute-Disable Bit Capability : Disabled
-Core Multi-Processing : Enabled
-Intel C-STATE tech : Disabled (grayed out)

USB Configuration:
Emulation Type : Floppy (Options: Auto, Floppy, Forced FDD, Hard Disk, CDROM)

I have tried booting using five vmdisk.img's - one's last modified on :
1 - 12/19/2009 11:55 PM (came with CE 6.0)
2 - 09/21/2009 4:31 PM
3 - 07/28/2009 3:28 AM
4 - 10/03/2009 12:43 AM
5 - 10/02/2009 1:19 PM

When booting 1, it gets as far as "Reading 275208 bytes from disk into bf800000", then restarts automatically.
It does this every time.

When booting 2, it goes to the interactive menu.
(Before that, I notice it says "Reading 270528 bytes from disk into bf800000", instead of 275208).
0: Start virtualization gets as far as :
Code:
BOOT
0: 827:0 (f000,7c96)                _

Pressing the Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock buttons do nothing to the respective lights.

When booting 3, it goes to the interactive menu.
(Before that, I notice it says "Reading 266440 bytes from disk into bf800000", instead of 275208 or 270528).
0: Start virtualization seems to get further than 2 - but all that shows on screen is :
Code:
BOOT

_

Pressing the Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock buttons do nothing to the respective lights.

When booting 4, it goes to the interactive menu.
(Before that, I notice it says "Reading 305880 bytes from disk into bf800000").
0: Start virtualization goes to :
Code:

_

Pressing the Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock buttons do nothing to the respective lights. (Num Lock is off by default).

When booting 5, it goes to the interactive menu.
(Before that, I notice it says "Reading 305304 bytes from disk into bf800000").
0: Start virtualization goes to :
Code:

_

Pressing the Num Lock, Caps Lock, Scroll Lock buttons do nothing to the respective lights. (Num Lock is off by default).

Since 3 seems to get furthest, I left it on for over 30 minutes, but still no luck.

There is no Serial Port on this computer.
HDD activity light is unplugged (I can reconnect it).
Not using any special bootloader - just W7's.
I do not see "WEEE" or "RAAH", before the orange "BOOT".
Booting from CD and booting from USB yield exact same results for .img's 1-3 (haven't tested 4 & 5 on CD - I doubt they'd behave differently).
I can buy a serial controller card IF it'd help, though I would need instruction on how to use it.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get this working ?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure it's not the vmdisk.img with any of the ce versions, those are not capable of booting of disk (only runtime transition)

If I get time I'll see about setting up the developing environment for dbvm again and see if I can fix that and other bugs

If you just want to use dbvm then boot with unsigned driver support and launch dbvm using the about screen. Note though that kernelmode debug only works in windows vista 64, windows 7 doesn't like the way I handle the wait for usermode command (needs a rewrite)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
trm
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
make sure it's not the vmdisk.img with any of the ce versions, those are not capable of booting of disk (only runtime transition)

If I get time I'll see about setting up the developing environment for dbvm again and see if I can fix that and other bugs

If you just want to use dbvm then boot with unsigned driver support and launch dbvm using the about screen. Note though that kernelmode debug only works in windows vista 64, windows 7 doesn't like the way I handle the wait for usermode command (needs a rewrite)

Thanks for the reply.

I tried loading DBVM from the About screen, by clicking "Your system supports DBVM", but get an error :
"I don't know what you did, you didn't crash, but you also didn't load DBVM".

If I hit okay, and try clicking again, I get a BSOD saying :
"A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval."

I can't offer much in the way of monetary assistance, but if you need an alternate system on which to test code, and what-not, I'd be willing to setup a clean install to which you'd have full-access via remote desktop/access/whatever.

Else, feel free to PM me if you think I could aid in gathering data / testing.

In the meantime, I'll test it with Vista, and keep an eye out for a serial device.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try launching dbvm when the system is at it's most idle state (right after reboot and closing as many processes you don't really need)

and make sure it's the dbvm image that comes with ce 6

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel like experimenting:
http://cheatengine.org/temp/vmdiskapr152011.img

write it to a disk and boot off it. Once in the menu, remove the usb disk and press 0

it has a few small fixes (and speed improvements for those that did manage to run it)

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those without usb sticks or can't configure it to floppy emu here is a bootable cd:
http://cheatengine.org/temp/vmcd.iso

trm
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
If you feel like experimenting:
[link]

write it to a disk and boot off it. Once in the menu, remove the usb disk and press 0

it has a few small fixes (and speed improvements for those that did manage to run it)

By the way, I did try loading DBVM with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled, on a clean install of Windows Vista x64, but I get the same issue - first a message saying it failed to load, then a BSOD regarding a clock interrupt.

I even tried disabling Core Multi-Processing, (which disables one core on each die), but no luck.
I'm chalking it up to ... hardware incompatibility, or the like.

Anyway, with this .img, booting from either USB or CD, I can get to the menu, then selecting "0" goes past that orange "BOOT", but stops at a screen that says:
Code:

Booting GRLDR...
Reseting the boot drive...  Success.
 _

Note that if I remove the USB stick at the menu, I cannot enter any of the options - pressing any of the numbers does nothing.
I can remove the CD just fine though, and choose "0".

Changing "2" (the startup disk) doesn't help - I think "80" is correct, because all other numbers I've tried give a "raah" error, or get stuck on the "BOOT" screen.

Thoughts ?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, the cracked version of windows (funny note about this one: It writes to inaccessible memory when you have less than 512M ram and then crashes and dies)
I haven't tested this one with the new rm emulator yet (I've probably not yet emulated enough instructions yet)
I'll see if I can download it somewhere and try it out

What you could do is try loading this version of dbvm with ce at runtime (with driver signing disabled and of course rename it to vmdisk.img) , that skips the realmode emulation part (boot) and the fixes might make it more stable now (not tested if the offload still works though)

Or if you feel like it, get a serial port (for 2 comps and a cable) I'll then give a debug version which will tell you what exactly goes wrong (but can be tedious)

trm
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
ah yes, the cracked version of windows (funny note about this one: It writes to inaccessible memory when you have less than 512M ram and then crashes and dies)
I haven't tested this one with the new rm emulator yet (I've probably not yet emulated enough instructions yet)
I'll see if I can download it somewhere and try it out

What you could do is try loading this version of dbvm with ce at runtime (with driver signing disabled and of course rename it to vmdisk.img) , that skips the realmode emulation part (boot) and the fixes might make it more stable now (not tested if the offload still works though)

Or if you feel like it, get a serial port (for 2 comps and a cable) I'll then give a debug version which will tell you what exactly goes wrong (but can be tedious)

Thanks for all the help :>

I tried replacing the .img that comes with CE6.0 with that one that you posted, but it only partially helped - I still get the "I don't know what you did, you didn't crash, but you also didn't load DBVM", but instead of a BSOD on the second try, it changes to "your system does NOT support dbvm" (or something, I'm going by memory).

Fortunately, this system has a "serial port connector" - I just need the cable now.

Do you know if I can connect this one to a 32-bit only system, or do they both need to be 64-bit ?
Also, out of curiosity, do you know if Serial-to-USB cables, would work equally well ?

In the meantime, while I try to find a serial cable, I'll try to load DBVM on a non-cracked windows version Razz
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The message of "This system does not support dbvm" is a good start. That means that dbvm is actually running, but the interface isn't working anymore (probably because I fake cpuid in this particular version making it return a value saying it doesn't support vmx)
Restart ce and see if it still says so, if so, check with a cpuid program (cpuz), or properties under "My computer", the name of the cpu should be different from what it was

Anyhow, as long as the other computer has a place to plug the serial port in and can read/write it out, then it's good
First test it using a com program like putty. Open it on both computers, set to serial mode, type n the proper com port (com1: on the one with the hardware port and comX: on the usb emulated serial port) and both the same speed (115200) and then type some text in both screens, your text should show up on the other comp's screen and vice versa. (your text will NOT show up on your screen)

If you have set your bios port of com0 to something else than 0x3f8(deault) let me know so I can configure the build

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out what went wrong. I released Cheat Engine with the NOVMX define when I built it

trm
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Found out what went wrong. I released Cheat Engine with the NOVMX define when I built it

no idea what that means xD

i haven't completely given up on getting dbvm working by the way, just been preoccupied with other things.

i can get a serial cable online, for future use, but it'll be a while longer
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what you described in the previous post describes what should happen. When dbvm is running (and you haven't crashed) the about screen should turn to "Your system does not support dbvm"

so probably dbvm is already working (except the running from boot)

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cheatengine.org/download/dbvm.rar

Fixed a bug where it wouldn't support booting into win7 (for some reason it does generate a msr read vm exit on a msr I wasn't watching)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Source -> DBVM All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: