Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about trace

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Question about trace Reply with quote

Hi DB!

I am assuming that when I use the trace, the slowdown of the program is mainly caused by the logging, and not by the tracing itself. So in theory the trace could be speed up if I would use some filter to not log all instructions, only those that are important for me.

Am I able to specify somehow (in lua or otherwise) to log specific instructions only? Like log only call and ret instructions or only cmp or jump instructions. Would this grant enough speed to be able to work with the target process while the debugger is running and tracing those instructions?

Thanks!

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:
http://www.szemelyesintegracio.hu/cheats/41-game-hacking-articles

Don't request cheats or updates.
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, actually stepping through will slow it down to a crawl.
Just tested it with this script: (Won't work in ce 6.0 because of a bug where the continue option is not properly set: bypass, do at least one single step and then run the script and do another single step yourself)

Code:

i=5000
function debugger_onBreakpoint()
  i=i-1;
  if (i==0) then
    debug_continueFromBreakpoint(0) --run
    return 1
  end 

debug_continueFromBreakpoint(1) --step into
  return 1
end

It takes several seconds to run (about 300 iterations a second)

This is due to message events sent during debugging, and the cpu prediction is useless in this case and several other factors that will slow it down

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Geri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was thinking that filtering the logging may actually speed up the debugging process. Usually I just look for specific things like function entry points, jumps and other interesting things so the rest of the instructions are kinda useless for me anyway in 90% of the cases. I was thinking I could log larger parts of the application not just a few thousands of code lines if I use some filtering, but then I will just stick to a few ten thousands of codes and wait a few minutes for the result. Smile
It is still working like a charm and navigating in functions with the trace tree is a dream. It was one of Your best ideas to implement that feature.

If you are interested in any of my crappy articles/tutorials about CE and game hacking, you can find them here:
http://www.szemelyesintegracio.hu/cheats/41-game-hacking-articles

Don't request cheats or updates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: