Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok, i'm getting really confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dubwiser
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Ok, i'm getting really confused Reply with quote

So, i am trying to hack a game. I manage to find the relevant addresses i need to change and that's fine, but then when i restart the game the addresses change.
So i thought i'd save the coelist(it's pretty big, 20+ entries) and, when the game is restarted, do a little search and then recalculate the entire list by the offset i obtain by comparing the old value and the new value for the same thing.
Now, that worked for a couple of days(or a couple of times), but then, without updating the game, now it won't work anymore: only few of the codes in the codelist, once recalculated, are what they are supposed to be, but the vast majority(nearly all) are junk-ish.
So i thought that i'd have to learn how to use pointers. I went through dark byte's in built CE tutorial until step 8(multi-level pointers), which was a bit too much for me at the moment, and kinda got what they are for. But, problem is, i still have no idea how to implement them with the game.
I looked around for more tutorials here but i just got more confused. Even tried code injection, but with my skills the only thing i can achieve is the game crashing on me.
That is why i thought i'd ask here, maybe someone patient enough could kindly help me out? Those i thank in advance.
What i have is an offline turn-based strategy game that has limited moves per turn(2).
What i am trying to do is to keep that value unchanged so the player can get unlimited moves. I find the right address, look for what is writing on it and i get this:

*missing image*

Now, what i get is this: the content of the address ecx+14 is written to the registry ecx.
Then esp+4 is written into edx(which makes edx= the content of 17f08c; i tried checking what the content was but it changes every second even if the game is idling)
Then, edx is written into the address 69F9F2C(ecx + eax*4). That is supposed to be what is most relevant to me, right?
Then 01 is written into the flag AL.

Now i am already confused, what am i supposed to do? I tried the "change with code that does nothing(NOP)" way and the game crashes. I tried adding a pointer in the codelist but this happens:

*missing image*

Why?

Then i tried search for addresses that contain 069f9e10 and i've got two addresses. How am i supposed to use them?. I've got a headache out of this and i'm really confused, so please lend a hand.
Thank you.

EDIT: oh, i can't post urls yet. well, i'll attach the images then:

2010-03-27_160837.png
 Description:
First missing image
 Filesize:  26.82 KB
 Viewed:  6200 Time(s)

2010-03-27_160837.png

2010-03-27_162013.png
 Description:
Second missing image
 Filesize:  5.64 KB
 Viewed:  6200 Time(s)

2010-03-27_162013.png

Dubwiser
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halp? Sad

Also, i realized that i posted in the wrong forum. Could a mod move it where this belongs?
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you still need to find an ADDRESS that contains the VALUE 69f9e10
and use that as base address

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Dubwiser
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i got that, thanks for replying. I tried it and i've found the pointer that, with the offset added, points to the address i need. Problem is still there though: pointer is not static and changes everytime i restart the game Sad
What do you do in that case? Is it a multi-level pointer and should i find pointers that point at pointers? I tried to search for it as a value but got nothing.

EDIT: ok, i've tried something else: pointerscan on the pointer i've found previously. This is what i've got. Below is the image of what i got.
Now even though the original pointer becomes useless after i restart, the new ones keep on pointing on what i need.
Does it mean i have to go through all that for every single pice of data i want to hack or is there a smart way to convert my previous long list of addresses?

2010-03-30_193549.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.67 KB
 Viewed:  6125 Time(s)

2010-03-30_193549.png

Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't have to do that manually, every time you restart the game, do a pointer rescan for the current correct value.
Eventually you'll be left with a list you don't have to rescan anymore and you can just use those pointer results

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Dubwiser
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean by doing the pointerscan directly on the first addresses and do a mass bouncing? Hmm, i'll try.
Thanks for the help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: