Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HowTo: Multiple CE Instances/Versions/Profiles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: HowTo: Multiple CE Instances/Versions/Profiles Reply with quote

HowTo: Multiple CE Instances/Versions/Profiles

Description: Explains how to setup multiple profiles for individual versions of CE.

Why?: Some scan settings are way faster then others. I don't like to run in any form of 'stealth' mode if I don't have to, and it was a pain, having to reset all the different features, especially when toggling between two entirely different, configured instances.

== Initial Setup ==
- I highly recommend starting with organising/consolodating your different CE folders.
- I run CE from J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-XX_Y
- Where XX is the version number (51 for 5.1.1 and 52, for 5.2)
- Where Y is the 'instance' number I've given it (As you shouldn't run multiple instances from the same folder. Why? The temp files CE creates are assigned a single name, so using 2 CE's from the same location, results in one or both of their scans getting 'quite h0zed'.
- Here is a list of my folder setup.
J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-44_1
J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-50_1
J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-50_2
J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-51_1
J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-51_2
J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-52_1
J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-52_2

== LaunchCE.bat (Attached as LaunchCE.ct) ==
- I place this in the J:\Games\Cheat Engine\ folder. It can be stored anywhere really. You only need 1 copy of it to command your different CE versions/settings.

== Setup LaunchCE.bat defaults ==
- There are 7 User Options, right at the top of the .bat file. Simply configure their default settings for your system. There is a long description of each, before the following set lines. I have cut out *only* the set lines, for this description here:
- These settings can be over-ridden by command line arguments. The beauty however, is that we really don't need them much. More on this later.

set CE_Reg_Normal="CE_Normal.reg" - Registry file, containing the individual folders'/instances' Normal settings. (more on .reg's later)
set CE_Reg_Stealth="CE_Stealth.reg" - Registry file, containing the individual folders'/instances' Stealth settings.
set CE_Reg=%CE_Reg_Normal% - Defines the default .reg to use, if none specified. At it's current value, it 'copies' CE_Reg_Normal
set No_Reg_Warning=False - Determines if an error will display, if the registry file is not found. Can be toggled to true, to skip the warning, but I suggest leaving it at false, so you know it's loading the settings file before launching CE.
set CE_Username= - Only useful, if you are using the XP Terminal Services hack, with 2 PC's. Can be set to the console users ID.
set CE_Path="%CD%" - Default CE Path. Can be changed to the location of your 'Main' CE folder. I.e. set CE_Path="J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-52_1"
set CE_EXE="Cheat Engine.exe" - This should not change, unless future releases use a different EXE name.

== Simple Shortcuts ==
Creating your main shortcut:
- Create a new shortcut, where ever you have your current CE shortcut(s)
- Set "Target", to CE.bat. In my case, it's "J:\Games\Cheat Engine\CE.bat"
- Set "Start in", to the CE folder you want this shortcut to run from. My first shortcut is pointing to "J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-52_1" (Which means: Cheat Engine 5.2 - Instance 1)
- Click "Change Icon", then navigate to any of your Cheat Engine.exe's. Select it and it will let you use that icon (or pick any you choose, from elsewhere).
- Click "Ok".
- Name it something like: 5.2 - Instance 1 - Normal
- As long as we didn't change the set line above that looks like this...
- set CE_Path="%CD%"
- Then LaunchCE.bat will operate from whatever the "Start In" location is, for any shortcut.

Creating your stealth shortcut:
- For this one, we are going to do the same thing, but using a different "Start In" folder.
- If you have not already, make a copy of the version of CE you use most.
- Create a new shortcut and set it's "Target" to CE.bat like before.
- Set it's "Start In", to the newly created CE folder.
- In my case, it's "J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-52_2" (Which means: Cheat Engine 5.2 - Instance 2)
- The only thing we have to do different here, is add the word stealth, after the target.
- In my case, mine ends up looking like this:
- Target : "J:\Games\Cheat Engine\CE.bat" Stealth
- Start In: "J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Versions\CE-52_2"
- Named : 5.2 - Instance 2 - Stealth

== HowTo save your registry settings ==
- First: Load up the "Normal" shortcut you created.
- Click settings and set this up pretty much as you would, for any 'normal' situation.
- When finished, close CE entirely.
- Click "Start" > "Run" > type in regedit <Press enter>
- Navigate to ... HKey_Current_User\Software\Cheat Engine
- Right-click the Cheat Engine folder and click "Export"
- Navigate to your first CE folder, and name the file "CE_Normal.reg"

- Now go back and do the same thing for a maximum stealth situation, or any other situation you'd like.
- When you export, Put the file in your 1st CE folder (where you put the previous one), Name the file "CE_Stealth.reg"
- Copy both .reg files, to your 2nd CE folder (so they both have the ability to run as either normal or stealth)

**Note** If you plan on using this for multiple versions, I highly suggest deleting the Cheat Engine registry folder, before you start the *next* version of CE. This will clear the settings completely, as some settings between versions can interfeer.
**Note** Before I edit my registry in any way, I always make a full backup - You know, Just incase I hit delete or change the wrong thing Smile Much easier to do this, then to go through a system restore.

== Command Line Arguments ==
- These are not needed , as the shortcut setup will usually determine what CE path it will use.
- The most commonly used command line option is the choice between Normal and Stealth settings.
- These settings *do* over-ride any pre-set settings in the .bat file.

LaunchCE.bat "[(N)ormal or (S)tealth]" "[Username]" "[.Reg file to use]" "[Cheat Engine's Path]" "[Cheat Engine's EXE]"
- Examples:
StartCE - Using CE_Normal.reg settings
LaunchCE.bat
or
LaunchCE.bat n
or
LaunchCE.bat Normal

Start CE - Using Stealth
LaunchCE.bat s
or
LaunchCE.bat Stealth

Start CE - Using Stealth, using directory J:\Games\Cheat Engine
LaunchCE.bat s "" "" "J:\Games\Cheat Engine"
Start CE - Using Stealth - As User Zhoul - In J:\Games\Cheat Engine
LaunchCE.bat Stealth Zhoul "" "J:\Games\Cheat Engine" "Cheat Engine.exe"
Start CE, Ignoring Stealth/Normal Option - As User Zhoul - Using reg file CE_Special_Situation.reg
LaunchCE.bat "" "Zhoul" "CE_Special_Situation.reg"
or even...
LaunchCE.bat "Stealth" "Zhoul" "CE_Special_Situation.reg"
The "Stealth" setting above, is ignored, because a .reg was specified.

As for making your own combo's:
- Just keep in mind, that these are 'simple' options. If you 'skip' an option, simply put 2 double quotes where it would show up.
LaunchCE.bat can be looked at like this: LauncCE.bat "" "" "" "" ""
If I wanted to specify a username, I'd write: LaunchCE.Bat "" "Username"
etc.

The last recommendation I have:
- Create a shortcut to the main/root CE folder, in all your other CE copies. This gives a quick-click way, to get to a single location to store all your .ct files, etc.

- Zhoul

*Edit*

I noticed that the first version could only support .reg files that were contained in the folder that CE was being run from. This has been fixed and a new .rar uploaded in place of the old one.

Now supports even file names like this..
..\CE_52_Normal.reg
That would be 1 directory back, from where CE is currently being launched.

The Extension 'rar' was deactivated by an board admin, therefore this Attachment is not displayed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: