Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Pointers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Pointer tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glest
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Advanced Pointers Reply with quote

First of, what is an advanced pointer? Very simple, taking that you know what a pointer is. An advanced pointer is a pointer to a pointer. And maybe the pointer it points to, is also a pointer to a pointer.

----------------------------
So, how do you add a pointer to a pointer to your list?
Ok, click "add adress manualy", and tick the box pointer.
First you need to know how many levels of pointers there are (how many pointers point to another pointer). For every level, you click "Add Pointer". Now, there is only one adress field you can edit, and some offset fields. This is because there can only be one base adress. So, enter the base adress and the offset. Now simply fill in the remaining offset fields. Do not make an empty offset field. If the offset is 0, make sure there is a 0 in the field.

Don't you feel smarter already? Maybe not, but this was only the easy part.

How do I find the base pointer?
There are several ways, some easier than others and some longer than others. Let's start with something you should always do...

So, you only got an adress. No stable pointer yet. First off all, make sure you get an easy way to finding the adress again. So, find out what write to the adress, and add some piece of code to your code list. Now, if you need to start over, you can simply find out what the piece of code writes to.

Now, the way I think is the easiest, if it's possible at all. Find out what writes to the adress. Take any piece of code. Lets say it looks like
Code:

sub [eax],5

Click on "open the dissasembler at this location". Now, scroll up form there and write everything down that writes to eax, until you found a static adress. That adress should be the base pointer, but it might work in weird ways. You'll have to decipher it yourself (or ask help in a new topic). And maybe there is another register being moved into eax. Then you'll have to follow that register until you got the base. Keep in mind that anything between [] is treated as a pointer and anything not between [] is not.

If that doesn't work (eax is created in a function call you can't find, or you simply don't get the code at all (this can happen to the best)), there is another way.

Do the usual stuff to find a pointer (find out what writes to it and scan for value indicated by CE). Add that pointer to your list. But, since this is about advanced pointers, we aren't done yet. There has to be atleast one more pointer. You need to know what breaks this pointer, and what changes the pointer withouth breaking it. Usualy, if you die, the pointer changes but doesn't break. Anyway, find out what writes to the new pointer (click find out what writes to this pointer when it asks for it). Then die or something like it. You should have a new piece of code (again add it to your codelist), scan again and do the same for that pointer, or try to do the first method for the new pointer. It's not at all so different from finding a normal pointer, you just have to repeat everything a bit more often.

Reprograming in C++
Computer Piano
*Not done yet*
bluehairman
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a good tutorial. but i have a problem ce tells me to scan blah blah in hex BUT when i scan the first one that shouldnt give me the pointer i get nothing.
Glest
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you can't find the adress, or you can't find the pointer?

If scanning for it doesn't work you can try the other method. And if that doesn't work, I believe there is pointer scan... Although it's not the recomended way, you can right click an adress and select "pointer scan for this adress". I don't know what lvl of the pointer it will give, but it's kinda a last resort...

Reprograming in C++
Computer Piano
*Not done yet*
MillowQC
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aight

I'm trying to find base pointers for world of warcraft.

Here is my problem:

I'm able to find the address of the value I want, (armor value int hat case). Then, I find the pointer pointing to it. But when I try finding the pointer pointing to this pointer, I try to find what writes to it by changing the value of my armor. But, nothing writes to this pointer.

So I try "what accesses this pointer" and I find a lot of addresses 25+ before I even change my armor again. So, something accesses this pointer before I change my armor.

Then, when I cahnge my armor, a new list of code appears, 25+.

Here is an interesting link about this particular problem, there is a diagram which might explain it a little better:

edgeofnowhere.cc/viewtopic.php?t=332444

I can find the first EAX, but can't find ECX....

Any hints are welcome.
AB1110
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, you only got an adress. No stable pointer yet. First off all, make sure you get an easy way to finding the adress again. So, find out what write to the adress, and add some piece of code to your code list. Now, if you need to start over, you can simply find out what the piece of code writes to

yeah simply find out what writes to that piece of code(you mean adress?)you
should clarify that and ok now i did "what writes to this adress" and i dont get
that bla bla bla pointer adress should be _______. what to do in this case?
N0th!ng
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for .....----->>>>> this one ------->>>>>

Mov eax,[esi+edi*4]

what do i do.....when i type in esi as the address and edi*4 as the offset it doesnt work....it will have an error or just change the offset and messes it all up....Help what do i type in for cheat engine....

please tell me...anyone...i dont know what and were to type it...tell know!!!
Xblade Of Heaven
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N0th!ng wrote:
for .....----->>>>> this one ------->>>>>

Mov eax,[esi+edi*4]

what do i do.....when i type in esi as the address and edi*4 as the offset it doesnt work....it will have an error or just change the offset and messes it all up....Help what do i type in for cheat engine....

please tell me...anyone...i dont know what and were to type it...tell know!!!

value edi x4 is the pointer Wink, for example edi ( 2 ) x4 = 8/ 8 the pointer Very Happy

Tokkie
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does a pointer do ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials -> Pointer tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: