Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An even better option than using the network client.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: An even better option than using the network client. This post has 1 review(s) Reply with quote

*Pre-Req!!! Windows XP Professional - (Not Home) - Upgraded to SP2 or SP3. Worry not, hacked TCPIP DLL's are talked about below.*

When I first started using cheat engine, I thought it was fantastic! I hated to have to alt+tab, and am usually using 2 PC's anyhow, so I loved the fact that it came with a network client.

The problem(s)? The network client didn't do as good a job, because when I tried to do things like 'See what writes to this value', It would usually end up crashing my game, mostly the very first time I tried doing it. The network client also had more bugs and lacked the newer features.

I fiddled with the settings *a lot*, trying to see if it was something I was doing wrong, or a config option that wasn't set properly. To no avail.

I then launched a massive search for another software/debugger that had a network client, but stumbled upon something I think is a lot better.

Basically, Microsoft messed around with giving us concurrent remote desktop + console sessions. Meaning: The ability to be logged into the console, and still connect remotely, without logging the console session out. They scrapped the idea later, because of licensing. They had released termserv.dll in a beta version of SP2, and of course, it was preserved by techies everywhere.

I quickly installed the new termserv.dll, grinning from ear to ear, rebooted my PC, then tried to login remotely.

Ack! Console session was logged out! Ahh!!! I get it... the same user cannot login twice. So I created a 2nd admin account, and that solved *that* problem.

I then loaded up a game on my main PC and remote desktop'd to it, and loaded up cheat engine on the other.

ACK!! User wasn't allowed to debug?!

I quickly loaded up gpedit.msc and navigated its non-logical tree structure and finally found an option that lets you specify who has rights to debug programs (Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Access > Debug programs). Gave my new user rights to debug then tried again.

ACK! I still wasn't allowed to 'connect' to my game, as microsoft does not allow us to 'peek' into a process that was run by another user.

Yet another hurdle I soon passed over, by using a command known as "RunAs". I had to run Cheat Engine.exe AS the console user. I figured this out quite quickly, because I already use it to run internet explorer as a 'guest' account (I'll tell ya, doing that beats out any spyware/virus scanner I've ever used.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sum up what is needed:

- Windows XP PROFESSIONAL with SP2/SP3 installed (this is a must. I didn't want to go to SP2, but had to. This termserv.dll will *NOT* work with XPSP1).

- Install the termserv.dll which is linked at the bottom of this post, or find an installer version of it via google. *Update* - Installer version added to the bottom of this post.

- Make sure the service "Fast User Switching" is enabled. Usually is by default, but some of us like to slim down XP to essential processes, and this is notoriously disabled by folks like us (and notoriously the reason people can't get concurrent terminal services working).

- Create a 2nd administrator account and MAKE SURE to login as that user locally, before you try to do it via remote desktop. New users aren't entirely 'created' until their first login.

- Load gpedit.msc (from start>run), and give your new user access to debug programs. (Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Access > Debug programs).

- Login via remote desktop, as your new user.

- Create an icon for cheat engine, that does something like this...
runas.exe /savecred /profile /user:"MyConsoleSession" "J:\Games\Cheat Engine\Cheat Engine.exe"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, replace "MyConsoleSession" with the username that you use to login to the console with. In my case, Zoultan was the console/original username, Zoultan2 was the remote desktop session, so I would put Zoultan where MyConsoleSession is.

Also, change the path to cheat engine.exe Smile

The good thing about runas, is the /savecred switch. The first time you run it, you will be prompted for the password. This will be saved and not asked for again.

I run things as other users a lot, so I created right-click shell extensions to do it Wink

The shell extension gives 2 additions to your right-click menu's in explorer/my computer/etc. As the example is below, I get the option to "Run As Zhoul 1" and "Run As Zhoul 2", when right-clicking on files.

Usage:
- Copy/Paste the colored area into notepad
- Change the areas I marked in red, to suit your needs/usernames
- Save As> Runas_User_Shell_Ext_Helper.reg
- Double-click (or somehow run) the registry file you just created.
- You can now right-click any file, when logged in as any user, and have these displayed on your context menu.

--- Start - Runas_User_Shell_Ext_Helper.reg (copy the stuff below this line)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Run As
Zhoul 1]

Zhoul 1\command]
@="cmd /V:ON /c runas /savecred /profile /user:\"
Zoultan\" \"cmd /x /c start \\\"\\!CD\\!\\\" \\\"%L\\\"\""

Zhoul 2]

Zhoul 2\command]
@="cmd /V:ON /c runas /savecred /profile /user:\"
Zoultan2\" \"cmd /x /c start \\\"\\!CD\\!\\\" \\\"%L\\\"\""

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

---- End - Runas_User_Shell_Ext_Helper.reg (copy the stuff above this line)

- The following, is a .bat file I use to start processes as a specific user. This is not needed for the Shell Extensions that are above. Simply another way to do it.
- Copy/paste the following to notepad
- Save As> C:\Windows\System32\X.bat
- Where X is whatever you want to name it.
- Change areas marked in Red

---- Start - Z.bat - Copy the stuff below this line

@echo off
set Uname=
Zoultan

set Arg=%1
SHIFT

:parseArgs
if "%1" == "" goto RunAz
set Arg=%Arg% %1
SHIFT
goto parseArgs

:RunAz
If NOT DEFINED Arg (
echo.
echo No program or paramaters were specified.
echo.
goto End
)

rem The following 2 lines were placed here, to handle .msc's as if they were EXE's. I was tired of having to run mmc.exe <whatever.msc>.
set ArgPart=%Arg:"=%
set ArgPart=%ArgPart:~-3%
if "%ArgPart%" == "msc" set Arg=%windir%\system32\MMC.exe %Arg%

echo.
echo.
echo.
echo Running [ %Arg% ] As [ %Uname% ]
echo Command: runas.exe /savecred /profile /user:"%Uname%" "%Arg%"
runas.exe /savecred /profile /user:"%Uname%" "%Arg%"|rem
echo.
echo.
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" echo There has been an error while trying to run %Arg% as %UName%
goto End

:END
set Arg=
set ArgPart=
set Uname=
ping -n 5 127.0.0.1|rem

-- Z.bat END - Copy the stuff above this line

All my CE icons are setup like so...
Z.bat "J:\Games\Cheat Engine 1\Cheat engine.exe"
Z.bat "J:\Games\Cheat Engine 2\Cheat engine.exe"
etc... etc... etc...

Another reason I setup this .bat is so I could run things like task manager from my remote desktop session. Even though a remote admin can kill another admins processes, they can't do things like "Set Affinity", etc. So when I'm disallowed the ability to do something, I just use z <command> to launch the program, and voila'

You can also run things like regedit.exe , from console, as your remote desktop user, if you're g33ky enough to want to change other users settings without having to login as that user.

Lastly: If you're curious why the .bat file pings 127.0.0.1 (local host)... XP didn't come with a wait or sleep command. Therefore, in my batch files, I use ping and re-direct its output to rem (null essentially). What this does, is leaves the dos window up for 5 seconds, so I can catch the success/error messages, without having to use pause.

Remote Desktop Terminal Services Hack (you only need 1 of the following.):
*New - Sala's Term Serv Hack Installer*
http://sala.pri.ee/?page_id=11
*older, but still working, manual install*
http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

If this link doesn't work in the future, then use google, and search for...
xp sp2 terminal services hack
There is hella-documentation on this ... undocumented feature =)

- Zhoul

Last edited by Zhoul on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:41 am; edited 13 times in total
stomperz
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to something similar with "rights", but not this extensive or refined>>>> WOW
Zhoul Congrats!!
Should be a "Sticky"

Thanks for all your hard work.
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to include the terminal services link.

http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop

I've updated the original post as well. =)

Last edited by Zhoul on Fri May 19, 2006 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhoul - The "Reply to his own posts" master...

One thing that stopped me from upgrading to SP2, was the security features (disabilities) they added. I found a hacked copy of tcpip.dll which restores 'pre-SP2' functionality. After installation, the only other 'feature' I had to disable was the Firewall (right-click network connection, properties, and you'll find it).

After that, the differences are so minor, it's not even worth commenting Smile

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t23719.html

That article explains why you would want a 'hacked' tcpip.dll - but the links for the dll are dead. I had to search for some time before I found it, and lost the link months ago, so if you're having trouble finding it, hit me with an e-mail.

Also feel free to e-mail me any questions reguarding the setup of remote desktop and CE.

[email protected]

(remove the NOSPAM part of the address, as I hate to have an e-mail addy auto-plucked by page scanners).

- Zhoul
waveness
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent faq but windows xp home edition doesnt have the gpedit.msc command. T_T now im stuck with windows sp-2. T_T
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is but one thing left to do...

Upgrade to XP Prof, which shouldn't really affect your system in the least =)
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've included a link to Sala's Term Serv Hack Auto-Installer in the original post. This is different then the original link I supplied. The original link gave a step-by-step on how to install it, rebooting/using safe mode/rebooting/etc. Sala's package is an easy to use, install then reboot process with uninstaller.

Just because im all about redundancy...

Sala's Term Serv Hack Auto-Installer:
http://sala.pri.ee/?page_id=11
cparty
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Zhoul Smile
Now it works, but I had to do it a little different:
On my new account created for RDC I wasn't able to run CE using kernelmode debugger options, if I did it just ate all my CPU and was slowly filling my RAM. I could only kill CE. There was no difference wether I runas my regualar account or run it as my RDC account. It just wouldn't work (don't know if this should be like this).
Anyway I tried to run the game under the other user, but ended starting the game with one user and starting the SD-debugger under the other -> instant crash of the game...
So now I switch to the new account and start the game, while I log into the primary account using RDC where of course the kernelmode debugger works fine.

The question is, should kernelmode debugger also work on the new account, and or did you manage to catch read/write/access to addresses in NFSMW without using kernelmode debugger? My game crashes if I do this.

As for the SP2, I patched my tcpip.sys (http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools) but it still seems slower than it was before. Does your dll do something more?
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cparty wrote:
Great stuff Zhoul Smile

The question is, should kernelmode debugger also work on the new account, and or did you manage to catch read/write/access to addresses in NFSMW without using kernelmode debugger? My game crashes if I do this.

As for kernel/deubgger mode.

i catch everything in NFS-MW - with "Bare" options. *nothing* in the Settings>extra tab is checked, as this slows down scanning and other things.

I'm attaching the CE_No_Stealth.reg that I use. It uses very bare options in CE, but this is the one I use with NFS-MW.

I'm attaching CE_Stealth.reg - which is the reg file I use for my 2nd copy of Cheat Engine (to do things like disable NFS-MW's debugger so i can attach my own).

Here's the .bat file I use, in each CE folder, to load the registry settings before CE loads, as I didn't like toggling every option on/off each restart. Make sure you use the CE_Username option below, and fill in the username that is running the game. I use another .bat file which starts things as my console user, to start this .bat, so I dont need to fill that in.

REM ======== CE.bat =========
@echo off
echo.

REM ===== User Options Begin =====

set CE_Path="J:\Games\Cheat Engine\"
REM set CE_Path="J:\Games\Cheat Engine - 2\"

set CE_EXE="Cheat Engine.exe"

set CE_Reg="CE_No_Stealth.reg"
REM set CE_Reg="CE_Stealth.reg"

REM The below 'set'line is specifically designed for those who
REM use terminal services to run CE.
REM If you want to use this feature...
REM - Define your Username in the set line below these instructions.
REM - If no username is defined, CE will be launched normally.
set CE_Username=

REM ===== User Options End =====

cd /d %CE_Path%

if NOT EXIST %CE_Reg:"=% (
echo Could not find [ %CE_Reg% ] in [ %CE_Path% ]
echo .
echo Please make sure you have done the following ...
echo - Modified this .bat file to reflect your system settings.
echo - Created an export file of the following path in the registry.
echo - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cheat Engine
echo - Name it %CE_Reg%
echo - Place %CE_Reg% in your Cheat Engine folder.
echo - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cheat Engine
rem The next line opens up the folder that CE.bat is in, so the user
rem can check to see where the problem might be.
start .
goto End
)

echo Merging %CE_Reg:"=% ...
regedit /s %CE_Reg%

echo Launching Cheat Engine ...
if "%CE_Username%" == "" (
start "Launching Cheat Engine..." /d %CE_Path% %CE_EXE%
) else (
runas.exe /savecred /profile /user:"%CE_Username%" %CE_EXE%
)

:End
set CE_Path=
set CE_EXE=
set CE_Reg=
set CE_Username=
REM ======== CE.bat =========

The only thing I have to change between CE folders, are the things in between the == User Options == , in the .bat file itself.

It could even be easily re-written to accept arguements from the command line, but I was in a hurry and didn't feel like f---ing with it at the time.

cparty wrote:
As for the SP2, I patched my tcpip.sys (http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools) but it still seems slower than it was before. Does your dll do something more?

I dunno, I attached my tcpip.sys (as tcpip.ct) to this as well.

tcpip.ct
 Description:
THIS IS NOT A .CT, ITS TCPIP.SYS - USED ONLY FOR XP-SP2. ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT CPARTY, I DONT RECOMMEND DOWNLOADING THIS.

Download
 Filename:  tcpip.ct
 Filesize:  350.63 KB
 Downloaded:  4820 Time(s)

Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*This was sent to Cparty in a PM, but I figured the community could use it too. It describes how to stop your 'on startup' servies from starting again, when you login to your remote desktop account. This is good for things like mouse or video card specific .exe's that run on startup that need not run twice.*

Heres a problem i noticed... when you login with account 2, it starts all of your "hklm_current/localuser/software/microsoft/windows/current version/run" entries. I have fixed this by replacing them with .bat files. Here are examples..

rem ======= ATITool.bat ========
@echo off
cls
title ATI Tool Startup
echo.
echo.

set MySessionID=
set StartDir=

if /I "%1" == "-FORCE" goto RunATITool
if "%SessionName%"=="Console" if NOT "%UserName%" == "Zoultan2" if NOT "%UserName%" == "Gimp Ass Ho" goto RunATITool
echo Remote Desktop Session Detected! Not starting ATITool.exe
goto End

:RunATITool
for /f "tokens=4" %%i in ('tasklist /FI "imagename EQ Tasklist.exe"') do set MySessionID=%%i
echo Killing ATITool.exe for... User: %Username% Session: %MySessionID%
taskkill /im ATITool.exe /FI "SESSION EQ %MySessionID%"

echo.
echo.

echo Starting ATITool.exe...
pushd "C:\Program Files\ATITool"
echo start "" "C:\Program Files\ATITool\ATITool.exe" -s
start "" "C:\Program Files\ATITool\ATITool.exe" -s
popd

set MySessionID=
set StartDir=

ping 127.0.0.1|rem
rem ======= ATITool.bat ========

rem ======= Daemon.bat ========
@echo off
cls
title Daemon Tools
echo.
echo.

set MySessionID=
set StartDir=

if /I "%1" == "-FORCE" goto RunDaemon
if "%SessionName%"=="Console" if NOT "%UserName%" == "Zoultan2" if NOT "%UserName%" == "Gimp Ass Ho" goto RunDaemon
echo Choosing to not start Daemon Tools.
goto End

:RunDaemon
for /f "tokens=4" %%i in ('tasklist /FI "imagename EQ Tasklist.exe"') do set MySessionID=%%i
echo Killing Daemon.exe for... User: %Username% Session: %MySessionID%
taskkill /im daemon.exe /FI "SESSION EQ %MySessionID%"

echo.
echo.

echo Starting Daemon.exe...
pushd "C:\Program Files\D-Tools"
echo start "" "c:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
start "" "c:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
popd

set MySessionID=
set StartDir=

ping 127.0.0.1|rem
rem ======= Daemon.bat ========

rem ======= point32.bat ========
if "%UserName%" == "Gimp Ass Ho" goto end
if "%SessionName%" == "Console" start /d "C:\program files\Microsoft Intellipoint\" point32.exe

rem ======= point32.bat ========

Here's a bat file i designed, to get the current session ID, kinda like the ones above do. It then sets environment variable SessionID (aka %SessionID%) to the current session ID. You would call this bat file from another bat file, so you can use the SessionID variable by the first .bat file, without having to re-create the 'get session id' code in every bat file.

This was of course created after i did the .bat files above, or else they would call this bat file.

========= GetSessionID.bat =========
@echo off
set NoOutput=0
set EnVar=SessionID
set CurSessID=

:ParseArgs
set CurArg=%1
if "%CurArg%" == "" Goto GetID
set CurArg=%CurArg:"=%

if /i "%CurArg%" == "-nooutput" set NoOutput=1

if /i "%CurArg%" == "-var" goto ParseVar

SHIFT
goto ParseArgs

:ParseVar
SHIFT
if "%1" == "" goto GetID
set EnVar=%1
SHIFT
goto ParseArgs

rem ---------------------------------------------------------
:GetID
set SessionID=
for /f "tokens=4" %%i in ('tasklist /FI "imagename EQ Tasklist.exe"') do set CurSessID=%%i
set %EnVar%=%CurSessID%

:Output
if "%NoOutput%" == "0" echo.
if "%NoOutput%" == "0" echo Current Session ID [ %CurSessID% ] saved to Environment Variable [ %EnVar% ]

set EnVar=
set NoOutput=
set CurSessID=
========= GetSessionID.bat =========

- Z
cparty
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Zhoul Smile it works fine with your regs/bats.
Just one thing, wouldn't I need to run regedit under the other user too if I started CE under the other user?
I also reinstalled CE and now my kernel debugger problem is gone, so it was on my side.

And my system "feels" better after I replaced tcpip.sys with your version Smile
Razer
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think im high or drunk one of those, but what are we talking about, how to make your comp or internet do what? damn it
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cparty wrote:
Just one thing, wouldn't I need to run regedit under the other user too if I started CE under the other user?
Ahh. Indeed an oversight of mine... As I said, I use another .bat to run *this* .bat as my console user. I'll fix ce.bat and edit/re-post it to this reply here in a moment.

cparty wrote:
I also reinstalled CE and now my kernel debugger problem is gone, so it was on my side.
Great! I'll have to try this myself Cool

cparty wrote:
And my system "feels" better after I replaced tcpip.sys with your version Smile
Right-on. I had heard this complaint before, but I wasn't sure how many (if at all) versions of the hacked tcpip.dll existed. Since I never had the issue myself, I wrote it off as either 1. People being nuts. 2. Possible other hacked versions of tcpip.dll . Now you've narrowed it down to #2

Razer wrote:
I think im high or drunk one of those, but what are we talking about, how to make your comp or internet do what? damn it
It allows someone to turn an XP Professional machine into a terminal server. As XP Prof stands now, if you try to remote desktop to it, the console (main pc) will appear to "log out", and you can't get it to stop this... unless you install the XPSP2 'test' termserv.dll

It allows you to play a game on the main XP machine, while getting a 2nd desktop view into the main XP machine, so you can run Cheat Engine, without using CE's "Network" version. If you don't have 2 PC's side by side, then i'd not worry about this thread Wink

Last edited by Zhoul on Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Razer
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i didnt get it but im gonig to say i got it,so....

THANKS I GOT IT! xD
Zhoul
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razer wrote:
ok i didnt get it but im gonig to say i got it,so....

THANKS I GOT IT! xD

Does anyone feel like posting a torrent of screenshots to help describe this to help this poor guy (and others like him) out? I would, but my cheatengine.org attachment limit is building fast, and my photobucket.com account is already overwhelmed with other shots, on other boards, and would soon stop responding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: