Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Find out what addresses are accesed by a piece of code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Find out what addresses are accesed by a piece of code Reply with quote

Sometimes when you've found a address and the code to change that address is also used to change other addresses (like that of the enemy) the following function will be usefull:

When you've found the code that accesses the address you've found you can save that and use it to find the address you are looking for, so you don't have to go through the slow scanning routine again. (unless of course scanning for it is a lot faster than this, like finding a piece of text and then recalculating the rest)

Go to the advanced window, rightclick the code and choose "Find out what addresses this code writes to" (or reads from depending on what kind of code it is, and can sometimes be a write instead of a read but that doesn't matter) and play the game. after a while the list will be filled up with all the addresses that that code used. (enemy's energy including if it is also used to handle the enemy)

Only downside is that this (currently) only works for instructions that have a [...] part. So instructions like "rep movsb" won't work, but that is a instruction thats useless to cheating anyhow)
kantoboy
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DarkByte

I've notice in Master of Orion 3 the data is being move using movsb and movsd first before being manipulated (e.g. decrease value of au, etc)
Doppelwarrior19
Cheater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the code but can you gave an example in a specific game ;

to your statement Sometimes when you've found a address and the code to change that address is also used to change other addresses (like that of the enemy) the following function will be usefull: ........

So I can understand it carefully !!
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say you know the code that decreases health, but finding the address of your health always takes hours to find (e.g slow comp, or you're just lazy to scan in the first place)

you can then use the option in the code list to find what addresses this code accesses.
The addresses it returns will be the health address of everything that gets hurt. including you. so you only need to take a little damage, and your health address will be shown there. it's fast and simple

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
Davethewave
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good info, I do this all the time even when I'm not feeling lazy Very Happy also you might note that the window might fill up with all the enemies health too, sometimes I click the code and say find out what this code writes to, then I go into the game and sit there for a second without getting injured so that my health address is easier to find at the bottom of the list.
AwAiS
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code accessing can be accompanied by breakpoints, in order to figure out what truly is being "touched."
Davethewave
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response to kantoboy about Moo3, I can't get CE to work with Moo3... for example, I wanted to increase the space I have in my ship to mount more weapons but I can't find the value of my ship space available or used in any of the byte modes, double or float. It's like it doesn't exist, I even tried using unknown value. Shocked how they do that?
tenemet
Cheater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Find out what addresses are accesed by a piece of code Reply with quote

Dark Byte wrote:
Go to the advanced window, rightclick the code and choose "Find out what addresses this code writes to" (or reads from depending on what kind of code it is, and can sometimes be a write instead of a read but that doesn't matter) and play the game. after a while the list will be filled up with all the addresses that that code used. (enemy's energy including if it is also used to handle the enemy)

First, I'd like to apologize for bumping an old post, but this thread is relevant to my question. I'm trying to find out what addresses a piece of code writes to, but I cannot use the method described by Dark Byte. I am forced to use the kernel debugger only, because the default debugger gets detected (by GameGuard). Thus, when I use the "Find out what addresses this code writes to" from the menu, it asks if I want to attach the default debugger. If I allow it, the game shuts down.

I'm wondering if there are any other ways to do this. Is it possible to do it somehow using the kernel debugger or by some other method? Will the kernel debugger ever be updated/improved to handle this sort of thing? Any help or suggestions on this would be greatly appriciated. Thanks in advance. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: