Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why can't I find this pointer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davethewave_83
Advanced Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Why can't I find this pointer? Reply with quote

It's been a while since i used CE, this version is a lot different than the one I used to use, it's actually a lot easier so it's really no excuse on my part, but I did forget how to manually find a pointer, and the auto pointer search isn't finding it.

Just last night I saved a pointer file full of thousands of pointers, then started a new game today. When I load the original pointer search then re-searched for the new address, it had 0 results.

So then I decided maybe I should manually track this pointer down, but I forget how. I know I right click, find what writes to the address, and there's something to do with the "extra info" screen right?

so if I have

>> 005D6990 - mov [esi+eax*8+000000E8],edi

I would calculate 005D6990 + E8 offset correct?

and then do a hex search 4 byte for 56DA78

but when I do this, it is 0 results.

it also says the value of the pointer needed to find this address is probably 19762F48 but that address points to the wrong value.

automatic pointer scan and manual aren't working, is there anything I can do to find this?

unknown_k
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Why can't I find this pointer? Reply with quote

davethewave_83 wrote:
It's been a while since i used CE, this version is a lot different than the one I used to use, it's actually a lot easier so it's really no excuse on my part, but I did forget how to manually find a pointer, and the auto pointer search isn't finding it.

Just last night I saved a pointer file full of thousands of pointers, then started a new game today. When I load the original pointer search then re-searched for the new address, it had 0 results.

So then I decided maybe I should manually track this pointer down, but I forget how. I know I right click, find what writes to the address, and there's something to do with the "extra info" screen right?

so if I have

and then do a hex search 4 byte for 56DA78

but when I do this, it is 0 results.

it also says the value of the pointer needed to find this address is probably 19762F48 but that address points to the wrong value.

automatic pointer scan and manual aren't working, is there anything I can do to find this?

wrong section.
005D6990 + E8 is totally wrong.
esi+eax*8 != 005D6990
it will takes forever to find pointers that way.
try another method or forget about it or dig some auto assembler script tutorials.
Gniarf
Grandmaster Cheater Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Why can't I find this pointer? Reply with quote

davethewave_83 wrote:

so if I have

No. The window that shows ">> 005D6990 - mov [esi+eax*8+000000E8],edi" should also tell you the value of esi at this address. I guess it is saying esi=19762F48 which is the value you should scan for. If you're lucky, there will only be one result, but this is unlikely, that's why I agree with unknown_k: it will take forever.

I suggest using the pointerscanner, increasing the pointer level and using pointers must end with offset: the_value_of_eax_above*8+E8.

What game are you trying to hack? Does it use python, lua, RPG maker engine, squirrel, or another interpreter/script engine ? Because in some games the pointer approach simply does not work.
jgoemat
Master Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Single Player Cheat Request" isn't the right forum for a question like this, can someone move it?

Quote:

No, 5D6990 is the address of the instruction that changes your value. If you click on that, you should see at the bottom five instructions around it and the value of registers below that, ESI is the register you are looking for that has the base address, but the offset is really E8+eax*8. If you use the pointer scanner, start with the value ESI and use the type 'address' with no offsets.

005D6990 probably doesn't change (if the module address starts with 00400000 then it probably won't change the next time you start the game), but you would want to use something like 'Game.exe+1D6990' anyway, to find that open the memory viewer and Goto address in the top, that should show address as an offset into the module like that. It might also be handy to copy some of the surrounding code into a text file so you can do an AOB search later if the game is updated. Even if the offsets change, you can replace the bytes that define them with "*" when doing an AOB scan and find the code later.

If you know assembly, try to find out what sets ESI in that code. If you are EXTREMELY lucky you will find something like this earlier in the assembly code, in which case you have the static, "Game.exe+214410", and the offset, B8, which will get you that value of ESI.
Code:
mov eax,[Game.exe+214410]
mov esi,[eax+b8]

You can go to this instruction in the disassembly window and right-click to show what addresses this instruction accesses. Since it is an index instruction, it probably accesses several addresses, but if there is only one value of ESI for those, then it only is called for that base pointer and you could use a script like this to store the address in memory, using "SAVED_ESI" as the base address for a pointer or "[SAVED_ESI]" as the address of esi in the structure dissector. Note: if there are multiple values of
ESI, you could enter each of them into the structure dissector to see how the one you care about differs from others. For instance in Galaxy on Fire 2 the same code is called for all ships, but the player's ship has the value '2' at offset 100, and you could alter the script to only store the address if it matches your criteria.

Code:
// injecting here to store the value of ESI
// Game.exe+1D6990:  89 BC C6 E8000000     - mov [esi+eax*8+000000E8],edi
globalalloc(TEST,$1000) // 4k

[ENABLE]
label(SAVED_ESI)
registersymbol(SAVED_ESI) // so you can use it in tables or as structure dissector addresses
TEST:
SAVED_ESI:
 dd 0

label(CODE)
label(RETURN)
CODE:
 mov [SAVED_ESI],esi          // save the value of ESI
 mov [esi+eax*8+000000E8],edi // original code
 jmp RETURN

//Game.exe+1D6990:  89 BC C6 E8000000     - mov [esi+eax*8+000000E8],edi
Game.exe+1D6990:
 jmp CODE
 nop // jmp is 5 bytes, instruction is 7 so add NOPs
 nop
RETURN:

[DISABLE]
Game.exe+1D6990:
 mov [esi+eax*8+000000E8],edi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> General Gamehacking All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: