Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OMG VIRUS!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Jin
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Installer tries to run adware, even after disabling offers Reply with quote

Okay so, I understand that Cheat Engine itself isn't infected or compromised but the installer from cheatengine . org is being quite suspicious. When installing Cheat Engine, it appears that different executable files are dropped into AppData/Local/Temp, which then they are executed and start trying to edit the Windows registry. These files are created at the end of the CE installation, regardless of whether you opt out from the offers or not. I ran the installation twice to see, and two separate, different programs were executed after creation.

So I decided to check these two programs on Virus Total, and it appears both are detected as adware and other such things.

If I opt out of these offers, why is it that adware is still dropped and then executed?

File 2.PNG
 Description:
Virus Total Scan for Program #2
 Filesize:  45.81 KB
 Viewed:  5704 Time(s)

File 2.PNG

File 1.PNG
 Description:
Virus Total Scan for Program #1
 Filesize:  45.16 KB
 Viewed:  5704 Time(s)

File 1.PNG

atom0s

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very common for anti-virus' to flag legit software as potential problems due to them being used for malicious purposes more than not. Cheat Engine uses an ad based installer to help generate some income for Dark Byte for the free work he puts into Cheat Engine.

Because of it, the installer is being flagged as a more or less 'false-positive' as you can see by the listings of what it's named. "DealFly" is a generic name given to the installer engine because it shows ads. The installer is not infected and ads are screened by the developers of the installer. Do some issues slip through the cracks every now and then? Sure, nothing is perfect. But you have nothing to worry about as long as you take your time while installing and opt. out of everything.

If you still don't want to run the installer or don't trust it, the Downloads paage of CE offers a packaged version without the installer.

pimpmyname
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its because of the opt out install stuff... But its the way you guys make money so its fair enough.

But a lot of AVs will pick it up as unwanted software.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
Page 31 of 31

Jump to: