Cheat Engine Forum Index Cheat Engine
The Official Site of Cheat Engine

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions and... bugs... may I??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glory
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Suggestions and... bugs... may I?? Reply with quote

Firstly, I haven't searched for the whole forum to check if my suggestions/bugs have already existed.
Secondly, pardon for my bad english, I will use examples to help discussion.

Suggestion 1:
For the "Next Scan", is it possible to add a scan type as "same as the value of n-scans before"...? Well, example below...
If I want to find the "Item no." of a weapon that is currently equiped,
1. Firstly I equip a sword
2. Then New Scan for a "Unknow initial value"
3. Then I equip a different weapon, eg. a dagger
4. Next Scan for "Changed value"
5. Equip back the previous weapon, a sword
6. Next Scan for "Changed value" again
Then, even I don't know that sword's item no, but I know it is the same as the "First Scan" value (or in general, the value of 3-scans before)

I know this scan type will use much more harddisk space to store previous results, but it is useful in some case, so there may also be an option to enable it or not.

Suggestion 2:
About Freeze address, is it possible to Freeze an address so that it's value is always the same as another address? Example below...
If the address of "Max HP" is 00800000, the address of "Current HP" is 00800004.
Then, I want to freeze "Current HP" to always same as "Max HP", so when Max HP increases (eg. level up), then the Current HP increases too...

Suggestion 3:
About Pointer type of address list, I know it can add a pointer of "pointer1+offset1" of "pointer2+offset2" etc...
But is it possible to add a pointer of "another value in the address list"?? Example~
If the address of Max HP is [[00123456]+88],
the address of Current HP is [[00123456]+8C],
the address of Max MP is [[00123456]+90],
the address of Current MP is [[00123456]+94] etc.
They all have the same "base address", so can I add an address of "00123456" and assign it a unique description, say "CharBaseAddr",
then add the Max HP as [CharBaseAddr+88],
add Current HP as [CharBaseAddr+8C], etc,
and also if the "base address" has changed, I only need to modify the CharBaseAddr.
I hope you understand what I mean...

Suggestion 4:
Is it possible (well again...) to add the "Add address manually" in the right-click menu (when an address in the address list is selected) so the textboxes in the "Add address" window will be filled with the data of the "selected address" (Address, Type, esp. Pointers). Example below, if you wish...
Firstly I have found the address of Max HP, eg. 4 bytes at 00500000, then add it to the address list, and I know the address of Current HP should be 00500000+4, so I want to add it manually, then I right-click on the Max HP, choose "Add address manually" (in the right-click menu), then the "Add address" window pops up with the textboxes pre-filled (ie. Address=00500000, Type=4 Bytes)...

Suggestion 5:
Memory Viewer->Extra->Allocate Memory
When allocating memory, is it possible to add an option that will fill the newly allocated memory with a value, eg. fill 90 if I want to add code, so I don't need to manually "Extra->Fill Memory" myself...
(This suggestion applies to "Create jump and initialize Code-Cave" too...)

However, the "Fill Memory" has 2 bugs (maybe more), for example:
1. In the "Fill Memory" window, I input 00400000 in "From" field, input 00400002 in "To" field, in common sense, the two addresses should be inclusive, is it? But only 00400000 and 00400001 were filled, 00400002 was not.
2. When I am trying to open the "Fill Memory" the second time, an Access violation dialog pops up......

There are still many bugs in debug part... but Cheat Engine is mainly a memory editor not a debugger, so it's okay...

Suggestion 6:
Is it possible to add the ability to do multiple scan jobs simultanously?
Although I can open multiple Cheat Engines for that purpose, but I'll need to copy the Cheat Engine folder to a new folder to run, because if I just run the Cheat Engine 2 times in the same folder, they will share (overwrite) the same TMP/UNDO files...

Suggestion 7: (Or Question 1...)
Can you tell me what is "Fast scan" and "Hyper Scan"?? Is it possible to add them in the help file... :(

About the bugs, I will mostly focus on the Network version because I use them much.
From that many bugs in the network version, I can feel that you haven't used them much, or even don't use them...

Bug 1: (Or bad design)
Client - the IP combobox (a textbox with an arrow and a drop-down list).
As I can see, the IP field is a combobox, that means there may be something in the drop-down list, what would that be?
I think it will be a list of IPs that I've previously connected to...
Ok, so firstly I've connected to a server successfully and then quit, and then open the client again, the IP combobox's list is still empty...

Bug 2:
Client - Settings. Hmm... for example, do the following...
1. Click on Settings, then click General Settings
2. Click Cancel
3. Click Settings again
4. Click Cancel again
5. Repeat 3 and 4 until you notice something's wrong...
For those who still don't know... okay, is that, each time you open the Settings window (or close it, who knows), then the positions of "Update interval" and "Freeze interval" fields will go downward, and the window will grow longer and longer...

Bug 3:
Client, about the "Update interval" and "Freeze interval" (not the same problem as above)
This is an old bug since version 2.3, and never got fixed till now...
The problem is, these two settings cannot be set correctly. No matter what values I put in them and click OK, the server cannot recognize it, the client doesn't save it.

Bug 4:
Client, about the "Network Update Interval" field
Similar to above, the difference is that the server DOES recognize it, but the client DOESN'T save it.

Bug 5:
Client, about the "Found address list update interval"
This bug is simple: no matter what values I put in it, the "Found list" will never be updated.

Bug 6:
Client, buffersize
As I can see in the server side's log, when the client first connected to the server, the settings of the client will be sent to the server.
One of them is "buffersize=512", then I click on clients's Settings->Scan Settings->Size of scanbuffer (KB)
the value in it is 512, so I think it is okay, but when I click on OK button, I see again in the server's log, "buffersize=524288", it is absolutely 512KB...
So which one is correct? 512 or 524288??

Bug 7:
Client - Undo scan
Just a little bug. The "Undo scan" button should be hided in the network client, because it seems has no function (although the .UNDO files will still be created).

Bug 8:
Client - Speedhack
Just a little bug. When I click on "Enable Speedhack" checkbox (enable it), 2 textboxes and a button will appear, then when I disable it (uncheck it), the textboxes and the button will not disappear...

Bug 9:
Client - Memory Viewer->Extra->Auto Assemble
If there are empty lines in the Auto assemble window, when clicking the "Write code" button, an Access violation dialog will pop up.

Bug 10:
Detaching...
This bug appears in both network version and normal version, but a little different.
Normal version, I do the following:
1. In the Cheat Engine, select a process, eg. Tutorial.exe
2. Click Advanced options
3. Click the "Pause" button, a confirm dialog pops up, click Yes
4. Select another process or close the Cheat Engine
Then the Cheat Engine will try to detach itself from the Tutorial.exe, even if it is successful to detach, but it seems forget to "un-pause" the Tutorial.exe first...
So the result is: the Tutorial.exe hangs and cannot be resumed...
Network version (server side), it is much simpler:
It don't try to detach anything. Once the server side has attached a process, when I select another process in the client side, the server side is still attaching to the previous process (although the memory scans are working fine on the new process).
When the server is closed, the process that being attached will be closed too.

Bug 11:
Will have more if I have time...

I have been using your Cheat Engine for serveral years~
You're the best! Work hard author!
stomperz
Expert Cheater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been using your Cheat Engine for serveral years~
You're the best! Work hard author!

Wow.... didn't know CE had that many bugs!
glory congratulations on your first post.
(your internet service must have been down for awhile) Rolling Eyes

Dark Byte is CE safe?
I maybe should delete it off my computer I don't want a virus or nothing.
Hope you do better next V.

roflmao
Dark Byte
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suggestions:
1:I gues I can add it, though I've never had a game where I needed to use something like that)

2:should be possible but making it userfriendly might be a problem (give it a offset? a pointer? a link to another address in the list?)
Also, you could try a "allow positive" freeze of a address (make it a plus sign, by either clicking on the = or hitting the gray +)

3: Copy all the pointers of the same struct. (select and then ctrl+c,ctrl+v)
select the copied addresses and choose recalculate all addresses
anser yes twice and go to the "change to address" tab.
There type in the new address. (if you selected a address from the foundcode list it will have that as the default)
Click ok and all the selected pointers will have a base address that you want.

4: Should be possible, but that menu is already getting quite big. but I'll see if I can do something.
But in the meantime:
select the address, hit ctrl+c,ctrl+v, select the new address (or just arrow down) press alt+enter and type in the slight modified address

5: Thats a bug because it SHOULD have filled the code with nops. (fixed it now)

6: I gues I could add a processid to the names of the tmp/undo files, and at cleanup time look if there is a process running with that id, and if not delete them

7: Fast scan works by skipping non-aligned memory. Almost all compilers generate code that uses variables on aligned memory because processors can work better with that. (some even refuse to work when unaligned memory is used)
for example:
Games usually store 4 byte values on a address that can be devided by 4, and 2 byte values on a address devided by 2.

Hyperscan works by scanning from inside the game itself. it doesn't need to ask windows to fetch a piece of the data so it can compare it, it can just compare the memory as it is. That gives a gigantic increase in speed especially noticable when doing a nextscan wth several billion results. Instead of asking windows each time to fetch 4 bytes so it can compare it just increases the pointer of the pointerlist and checks the result of that.

Oh yes, I've just fixed bugs 1 to 10 (bug 9 was also in the first release of the main ce 4.4, but I forgot to recompile the client as well, they share the same code so fixes like that are easily done)

Like my help? Join me on Patreon so i can keep helping
glory
How do I cheat?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug 11: (If not a removed feature)
In the Save table dialog, the file type field, there is only a "Cheat Engine Tables (*.CT)" is the list.
Should there be also a "Stand-alone Trainer (*.exe)"?
leibnitz
Newbie cheater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowow... i didnt even want to take the time to read all that. Hardcore CE User hehehe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cheat Engine Forum Index -> Cheat Engine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: